• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Treats for foraging

annrip

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ann
Seeking advice re foraging. Due to Ari’s behavior issues, I want to get her foraging more. I really limit her seed intake due to fat content. She is a fan of fresh veggies, but I don’t want to leave desk things out for extended periods of time. I’ve not had good success with getting her to eat dry veggies. Any ideas?

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Nuts? Dried berries (cranberry cherry blueberry raisin). Dried apple or mango. Foraging Herbs for small animals (like hay, chamomile, rose, etc sold in small animal section).

Other non edible things to chew and throw around like paper towel rolls, wine corks, anise stars, colored plastic milk or juice caps, balls, trinkets from old bird toys? Sola balls, wood chunks, cardboard chunks, mahogany pods.

my birds have a toybox or extra food dish filled with fun things to chew and manipulate.
Jasper particularly liked to chew the soft wood, Sola, cardboard, cardboard bagels, coconut husk rings. Willow likes to play with toys woven from palm leaf and little gadgets and chains.