• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

treat advice!

angelawonder

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Angela
I have a goffin cockatoo that I would like to start training. I've been trying but he's just not food motivated right now. He's almost 8 months old. I swear its like he has adhd. I give him a treat, he doesn't really eat it, just plays a little with it and then drops it. I have tried everything I can think of; sunflower, pine nuts, almonds, walnuts, colored pellets, organic cheerio shaped pellets, peanuts, veggies, bread, etc. He does seem to hold on to and eat the nutriberries. However, as a training treat I wanted something small so we can keep on training. I am really not sure what else to try. He seems to love whatever it is that I'm eating and likes to play with food. Anyone out there with a Goffins and can offer advice?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Seems a bit young to be doing any serious training yet (at least to me).

Many birds are not food motivated. The concept of training is behaviour - reward. Reward does not have to be a treat. Praise or affection is also a reward. If you freely give those all the time there's no real need to work for them. Similar to calling a dogs name over and over constantly expecting the dog to listen whereas what's really happening is desensitization to being called.

There's always junk food but that's cheating.

angelawonder

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Angela
I mostly want to train him for recall. My biggest fear is that he will get out. I refuse to clip his wing because he has so much fun flying and i keep my doors locked when he's out but its better to be safe then sorry

angelawonder

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Angela
I honestly could care less if my bird performs like a circus animal as long as hes healthy happy and enjoying his life with me