• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Travel with birds

Familyof12

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Liz
Sorry H&J are cute to me. I love the way their beaks make them look like they have big noses and I know how smart they can be and the way they can converse! Sorry, I grew up in Hawaii and there used to be (not sure if still there, this is in 70's) a park called Paradise Park. I used to go there and hang out all day in the summer and almost every day after school. The workers there would let me come in and help them pet, feed, and take care of the large birds. I kind of have all my happy memories with these guys although I'll never have one as a companion.

They would come swooping down and land on my head, backpack, and lick me all over for the salt. I loved the feeling of the air "whooshing" my hair and their feet as they landed on me. If any seeds were left in the machines (people would pay 10 cents for a small handful of seed to feed the birds) they would let me have it for free to feed the birds in the evening with it. Some were grouchy and mean but still funny and cute. I love these birds. I guess for those who live with them everyday it can become "normal" for you but for someone like me, I'm in total awe of them.

Featheredfuffs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
Delilah goes almost everywhere with us, as long as it's in the U.S. and not stressful. She's been to Massachusetts and Detroit so far :D

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
We are mostly dry campers, we travel in a big motorhome, but stay off grid.
I don't want to overwhelm this thread, so I will post only a couple of photo's.
Point is, we really don't know what our birds like, but I am willing to bet that travel is interesting to them.
Genie seems to really like mountain roads, he leans into the curves & looks at the trees a lot.

I hope these photos give you a good idea of how your bird(s) can enjoy travelling.

This is where he sits, his perch is not on the dash for this photo.
He gets a "Bird's eye view" !!

View attachment 258563

Here, at a truck stop, Genie gets off his perch & goes to the window to look at the trucks. he does this a lot, wherever we stop.
This indicates to us that he is, at least curious, & at best, is enjoying the trip.

View attachment 258565

Here we are taking a break.

View attachment 258567

We take Genie everywhere he is allowed.

View attachment 258568
I just can't express how much I love this, it is just amazing! Being able to give him that travel experience is wonderful:heart: this totally brightened up my day, Genie is a gorgous boy! I love the pictures! You can see how much he enjoys the travelling:) One of my lovies adores travel already, when I picked him up from his last caretakers I had a travel cage with one Side open, I had a towel with me to cover that part As well if he would be scared, but after 5 minutes in the car he puffed his cheek Feathers up and insisted on watching out of the window. He even started to do Some happy vocalizing! I was so happy he liked it that much:) He never Lets an opportunity slip to join me jn his travel cage, and he is making a lot of proces with harness training so who knows, in a few months he might be able to enjoy the same freedom as Genie:eek: I would looove that:)

I traveled over 30,000mi. with Hank and Jasper in our motor home (I'm much too old and stiff to lie on the ground). Like Genie they loved it. Their cage, a full sized macaw cage was next to a window and they spent all of the travel time looking out the window or napping. Now and then while driving down the road, when Hank would see something amazing (to him), he would turn toward Jasper and squawk as if saying, "Look at that".
Amazing! Hearing these experiences is soo cool! If I am old I like to picture myself travelling around with a few birdies, it is awesome that you did that:) it is really Nice knowing other people do this!

O, and those pictures! The portrait picture looks like it comes straight out of a fairytale!(though I am sure they can be little red devils as well:rolleyes:)

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Delilah goes almost everywhere with us, as long as it's in the U.S. and not stressful. She's been to Massachusetts and Detroit so far :D
That is so Nice! She is a small bird isn't she? I though a canary winged parakeet? Anyway, it is awesome that you take her places, I am sure she loves it:D you guys really inspired me! I am now planning a few trips, like whole days in the forest. If that all Goes well, I Will do a little backpack trip with them, just two or Maybe three days:) I am also going to try to do the same thing you do featheredfuffs, like try to bring them with me to my grandpa and such:D

Featheredfuffs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
That is so Nice! She is a small bird isn't she? I though a canary winged parakeet? Anyway, it is awesome that you take her places, I am sure she loves it:D you guys really inspired me! I am now planning a few trips, like whole days in the forest. If that all Goes well, I Will do a little backpack trip with them, just two or Maybe three days:) I am also going to try to do the same thing you do featheredfuffs, like try to bring them with me to my grandpa and such:D
Yep she is a little canary winged! She's great on the little trips, as long as there are lots of treats!

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Super Nice you take her everywhere:)(I suppose it is a bit like the fellowship of the treats, she Goes where those treats go:D) I wanted to walk with the birds to my grandpa today but he wasn't home:banghead::rofl: the first time I took Fëanor for a few hours outside, and not just an hour, I took a little bag full of things he liked, treats, foot toys even my target and Clicker, I felt like a worried mother:hehe: (which I kind of was of course!)

Princessbella

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
Bella and I have also traveled. She loves to visit relatives and has been to Maryland and NY already. It is so funny because when we get into the car, the first thing that she does is look in the back seat. If her hotel cage is in there (yes she has a hotel cage) she chirps in happiness because she knows that she is going with me. The only problem that I have with her when we travel is that she has to stay inside her travel cage because all she wants to do is chew the leather in my car and explore. But once she is there, she has a wonderful time.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Ahw that is so cute! She doesn't want you to leave without her:heart:

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Chirp only leaves the house for trips to the vet and to get his nails clipped. He gets sad if I cover his cage when we're in the car. There's been a few times where we needed to go to the ER vet which is an hour and a half away, and all of those times have been in the evening or middle of the night (I'm up at night, so I'll check in on him). He loves looking at all the bright lights and night life of Chicago. He's always very quiet though, like he's pondering something.

The last time we took him to get his nails clipped, he was doing his happy yell, and he loved watching my dad drive. When we take him to the regular vet, I generally cover the cage on 3 sides to try and keep him calm. He does seem to like traveling, which is nice because he doesn't freak out.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Ahw Chirp is such a little character! I imagine Chicago must be quite facinating to such a little bird:D I think Henkie would freak out in such a big city:rofl: