• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Traumeel

SookiesMum

Sitting on the front steps
Hi I have a Rosa Bourke parrot and budgie who were badly attacked by a rat a few nights ago. I took my birds immediately to a vet, put them on antibiotics. Both birds are being kept quiet, cuddling together, in a small cage. They have access to fresh water and food on the cage floor. Wounds are being kept clean with saline daily.

My Bourke parrot will recover. Her nostrils were bleeding but stopped. She has a broken toe.

My budgie is worse. He has a badly swollen eye, which I'm worried about. Vet said eye is still there. But I'd be surprised if he'll regain sight in it.

The birds are alert and interested. They're safe and quiet in my room. I'm wondering about pain relief. The vet didn't prescribe any. Is it necessary? Should I go back to the vet? Theyre no worse.

I have some Traumeel here which I've used on my little lovebird before. I don't know dosage though. My Bourke is currently 39g and budgie 32g.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I would ring the vet and ask the dosage, but I would think anything that has been attacked would benefit from pain relief...

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'd never heard about Traumeel, but from what I read it is a salve for surface administration. I would ask the vet for a prescription for Metacam which has been used forever for pain in birds.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Please be careful folks. I thought my birds were safe at night
The members of this forum emphasize this constantly, but it seems there are a lot of people who think it will never happen to me. Not true.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I hope your birds recover soon.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
How awful, I hope your birds will be okay! Was it a wild rat or pet? Pain relief/anti-inflammatory sounds like a good idea to me.

SookiesMum

I'd never heard about Traumeel, but from what I read it is a salve for surface administration. I would ask the vet for a prescription for Metacam which has been used forever for pain in birds.
Hankmacaw thank you. It was prescribed for my lovebird previously by a vet. My Lovie was born with multiple disabilities incl a broken leg. Its used for pain relief

SookiesMum

How awful, I hope your birds will be okay! Was it a wild rat or pet? Pain relief/anti-inflammatory sounds like a good idea to me.
Thank you it was a wild one, even worse. Im worried about disease. My Bourke is improving each day. I'm worried about my budgie though. I will return to the vet in a few days for a check up, or sooner if they need it. I'm watching very closely

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
How did a rat get to your birds? Were they in a cage outside? I see you say the birds are safe in your room now.

SookiesMum

UPDATE:. sadly my budgie passed away yesterday. The swelling was subsiding but he was badly injured and probably still traumatised. I'm very sad. I knew he was in his last hour - i gave him cuddles and talked to him. He slipped away gently in my warm hands, knowing he was very loved.

SookiesMum

Thank you. We have a double storey house, which isn't well built. Rats and mice can squeeze thru the tightest of spots through the house downstairs. My birds are locked in their cages at night. I'm still at a loss too as to how it got into 2 separate cages. I've seen the rat since, it's massive.

I have about 9 birds, caged according to their different breeds. Some have disabilities and are caged on their own, others in pairs. I let them free roam inside during the day, they all get along well.

I'm worried at night now though. If a rodent gets in, my birds have no escape, which is obviously what happened.

I've read that mice won't necessarily kill but rats will.

I've put out baits. I go down there in the night now and have stepped up patrols. The baits work. I've used them before for mice. I just have to wait til the bait works again. This is the first time I've had a rat.

There's no way I can bring them all upstairs because I rent, not allowed.

I have food locked in barrels. I clean the floor and my cages regularly.