• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Training?

JCG351

Meeting neighbors
Hello everyone,
Another baby update! So far they are about 1 day from being six weeks old. Up till now, the father has stopped plucking the babies not sure why the behavior didn't continue after that one day .
So far the two eldest eat seeds the most but they don't seem to understand how to get to the food quite yet. By this I mean they eat food from the plate/bowl that's more accessible to them. Example being upstairs they have a cup in the cage and a bowl on the floor...they tend to eat from the bowl rather the cup. (I would take the bowl out, but the parents are with them and the father usually scares away anyone who tries to take his spot). Downstairs they have a cup but never touch it only when I put them on there myself, and sometimes we put a plate with fruit and they instantly go for that. Because of this, I am still hand-feeding as the parents seem to completely ignore most of the time them even when all three gang up on one (more often the mother). Hand-feeding, however, has begun to be really difficult (probably because they are both with me and the parents and haven't gotten accustomed) as they begin to want to fly and move around, but once they eat some they relax....kind of?:rolleyes:
On another note does anyone have any tips for training babies of this age? I've started with them having to climb up on my finger like stairs, but can't seem to do anything else. On a side note, the babies are quite the flying type as they love going up on picture frames. Also, we have named them (we suspect it one boy and two girls or two boys and one girl)because of this their names are gender neutral. Pollito is the youngest and yellow one, Pinky, the spotted one, and Pichy the eldest. We decided to keep the "P" going as my family has "J" throughout.
20170602_110738.jpg
...noticed I tend to write a lot..whoops :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
They are adorable!

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Very cute! ♥
On another note does anyone have any tips for training babies of this age?
Train small things that you think is important. Like.
Getting use to a travel cage, drinking/eating from a syringe, harness training, to touch their hole body, to file their claws. Things like that.
And also to eat a healthy diet. Let them try everything, all from seed and pellets to fruit and veggies.

barry collins

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Barry
Very cute! ♥

Getting use to a travel cage, drinking/eating from a syringe, harness training, to touch their hole body, to file their claws. Things like that.
And also to eat a healthy diet. Let them try everything, all from seed and pellets to fruit and veggies.
This is good advice. Babies need to learn to be friendly and happy to be touched when this age. Training for other things like recall and tricks need to wait for a few months yet. Ps they are very cute babies.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
What adorable little babies!:xflove:

JCG351

Meeting neighbors
Very cute! ♥

Yes, thankyou for this. We have been filing their nails as they began to become fairly long.

JCG351

Meeting neighbors
This is good advice. Babies need to learn to be friendly and happy to be touched when this age. Training for other things like recall and tricks need to wait for a few months yet. Ps they are very cute babies.
Thank you. Only reason I would like them to come when called is because they like flying high and often don't come back down.:laugh: Tends to be a hassle to get them down as I'm not quite tall.

barry collins

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Barry
Thank you. Only reason I would like them to come when called is because they like flying high and often don't come back down.:laugh: Tends to be a hassle to get them down as I'm not quite tall.
I also had this problem but found I could not give any free food while out of the cage and then tempt them back with a millet spray when hungry. If you use the same words and the same little dish for millet they soon get the idea. I have 6 cockatiels and still have to put aside 10-15 mins to put them away on an evening. Because recall only works up to a point but mine now know when it's bed time and some of them fly away in protest because they don't want to go to bed. They are so clever and get used to your routine so sometimes the flock mentality takes over and they seem to tell each other to act up.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
The youngest lutino baby is a female. The others? Could be male or female.

Please make sure to reward the babies with a treat every time they do something you want! Also, avoid using any type of force. Make them want to do what you want them to do, and it will result in better behavior as adults! :)

Agreed with using millet as a way to get them to come back if they are eating it!

JCG351

Meeting neighbors
The youngest lutino baby is a female. The others? Could be male or female.
What about the baby makes you think it is a female? Would love to know! Thank you.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
If neither parent is lutino, and you get lutino chicks, then the chicks are automatically female.

Lutino is a sex-linked mutation. Females can only be visual lutinos. Males can be split or visual. In this case, it appears as if the male is split lutino. Only the father needs to carry the lutino gene in order to get visual female lutino offspring.

So nothing about the chick, except for the fact that she's a lutino do I know that she's female. :)

If the mother is a lutino, that changes things! A lot! If the mother is lutino, and you get lutino chicks, then the lutino chicks could be male or female! ;) In order to get visual male lutino chicks, both parents must be carrying the lutino gene. If you can get male lutino chicks, you can also get female lutino chicks from the same parents.

aashna

Strolling the yard
Real Name
aashna
Hello everyone,
Another baby update! So far they are about 1 day from being six weeks old. Up till now, the father has stopped plucking the babies not sure why the behavior didn't continue after that one day .
So far the two eldest eat seeds the most but they don't seem to understand how to get to the food quite yet. By this I mean they eat food from the plate/bowl that's more accessible to them. Example being upstairs they have a cup in the cage and a bowl on the floor...they tend to eat from the bowl rather the cup. (I would take the bowl out, but the parents are with them and the father usually scares away anyone who tries to take his spot). Downstairs they have a cup but never touch it only when I put them on there myself, and sometimes we put a plate with fruit and they instantly go for that. Because of this, I am still hand-feeding as the parents seem to completely ignore most of the time them even when all three gang up on one (more often the mother). Hand-feeding, however, has begun to be really difficult (probably because they are both with me and the parents and haven't gotten accustomed) as they begin to want to fly and move around, but once they eat some they relax....kind of?:rolleyes:
On another note does anyone have any tips for training babies of this age? I've started with them having to climb up on my finger like stairs, but can't seem to do anything else. On a side note, the babies are quite the flying type as they love going up on picture frames. Also, we have named them (we suspect it one boy and two girls or two boys and one girl)because of this their names are gender neutral. Pollito is the youngest and yellow one, Pinky, the spotted one, and Pichy the eldest. We decided to keep the "P" going as my family has "J" throughout.
View attachment 251932
...noticed I tend to write a lot..whoops :)
Your tiels are very pretty . :heart::xflove: