• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Training Larry to not be possessive over things ?

LarryThelovie

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ashton
I’m not sure if anyone else has had this problem but I’ve read up a while ago about birds being possessive over certain objects and it just happens to be my phone that he is possessive over :hilarious: this means I can’t take many pictures or videos before he gets to my phone and bites my fingers lol , so other than just not having my phone out at all is there anything that I can do to train him into not being possessive :)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I’m not sure if anyone else has had this problem but I’ve read up a while ago about birds being possessive over certain objects and it just happens to be my phone that he is possessive over :hilarious: this means I can’t take many pictures or videos before he gets to my phone and bites my fingers lol , so other than just not having my phone out at all is there anything that I can do to train him into not being possessive :)
Nope. Probably not. With time and exposure/conditioning it "may" become less but don't count on it.

lisaraby

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lisa
I have the same problem with my computer! Indie is determined to take all the keys off my keyboard, which I'm clearly not a fan of. I've tried tons of stuff - throwing her off, incentives that aren't my computer, distractions - nothing works. Just not allowed to have my bird and computer out at the same time :(

LarryThelovie

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ashton
I
I have the same problem with my computer! Indie is determined to take all the keys off my keyboard, which I'm clearly not a fan of. I've tried tons of stuff - throwing her off, incentives that aren't my computer, distractions - nothing works. Just not allowed to have my bird and computer out at the same time :(
its so annoying like why won’t u just let me capture ur cuteness in a pic or video but no he decides to bite me lol

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I

its so annoying like why won’t u just let me capture ur cuteness in a pic or video but no he decides to bite me lol

How much time do you spend with your phone? It's a competition for your attention.

LarryThelovie

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ashton
How much time do you spend with your phone? It's a competition for your attention.
When Larry is out of the cage he has my main attention , it’s not a case of be being on it when he’s out it’s the fact he thinks it’s his . All it takes is for Larry to see me touch it and he darts for my fingers haha

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
I wish you the best of luck with that. Gracie still won't let me cross stitch with her out or she flies over and tries to "help" mom. The phone and tablet are both triggers for her to come rushing over and get my attention. Now once I put them down she goes right back to what she was doing but if I pick them up again lol she is right back at it. So she has made sure I am just there not doing anything but watching TV or petting and cuddling with her. Nothing else is allowed per the Boss.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
When Larry is out of the cage he has my main attention , it’s not a case of be being on it when he’s out it’s the fact he thinks it’s his . All it takes is for Larry to see me touch it and he darts for my fingers haha
So he sits in his cage and watches/sees you having a close relationship with this phone thingy. Competition for your affections again.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
I had a similar problem with my U2 Echo. He would get very possessive over objects. And become very aggressive with them and me. I made up a little game of give and take with him, where I would reward him when he gave me things. I have no idea if that would work with a lovebird though.

If You wanna try it you begin with a low value object, something they have some interest in but not overly possessive about. Then slowly work you're way up to more interesting things. It's a game we still play and there are some high value objects that he won't give up on but I'm able to take them away from without the fear of being bitten. Which for me is the whole point of the game. So as long as he show no signs of aggression he gets praised.

Echo's come along way, he use to try and bite my face when I took something away from him. Now he enjoys giving me stuff usually of low value stuff. But he never trys to bite me when I take away more highly valued stuff.

I m still working desensitizing certain objects with him. And I'm learning new stuff about him and what makes him tick. But I'm very happy with how well our relationship is going :)

LarryThelovie

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ashton
I wish you the best of luck with that. Gracie still won't let me cross stitch with her out or she flies over and tries to "help" mom. The phone and tablet are both triggers for her to come rushing over and get my attention. Now once I put them down she goes right back to what she was doing but if I pick them up again lol she is right back at it. So she has made sure I am just there not doing anything but watching TV or petting and cuddling with her. Nothing else is allowed per the Boss.
Thanks lol , they’re so funny

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
Territorial is more of what I deal with in my house but eh I wouldn't have it any other way.

LarryThelovie

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ashton
Since I posted this Larry has actually started letting me on my phone to take pictures and is on my shoulder as I write this :)

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
Could have been due to hormones but still you want to make sure you give him lots of love and attention. They need it and lots of it to be well rounded lovies. My two get me for 4 to 7 hours a day depending. and that's not counting the hours they spend with hubby when he gets home from work when I am sleeping. Weekends all day. I think they are only alone for maybe 3 hours a day if that. and cage time 3 to 4 hours when they are not sleeping.