• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Training an older dog to use a potty patch?

Birds&Tea

Meeting neighbors
Hello! My sweet Kuma Bear is about 13 years old (a guess as we adopted her as an adult) and has significant arthritis in her hips and knees as well as some kidney issues. We're moving into a second-floor apartment soon, with access to an elevator. I'm really hoping we can keep her stair climbing to a minimum and want to train her to use a fake (or real) grass patch on the balcony.

She's such a good girl and only goes in the house when it's dire - a recent thing with the kidney issues. I'd love some tips for retraining her so that she's comfortable going out on the balcony - and hopefully prevent any further joint damage by avoiding stairs.

If it helps she is a lab/pitt type mix. She weighs about 50 lbs.

Thank you!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
She might not need any real training besides encouragement, or maybe a "mark here" type spray. My parents have had two elderly dogs now and both took to puppy pads/grass pads really easily.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
What I would do is give her treats and lots of praise when she uses the balcony and even when she started to go toward the balcony or asks to go out I would praise and give treats so she gets the idea of using the balcony ...its all about praise and treats ;)