• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Toys Preferred by Budgies

Teagan

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Teagan
Hello All,

I am bringing home my first budgie soon. He will share a cage with my cockatiel. I have a good assortment of toys for Jabberwocky. Can you guys share specific styles or types of toys that budgies like? I am having a hard time finding information online. I would like toys that my budgie will find engaging, stimulating, and help him to feel at home.

Thank you for any tips, I appreciate the help!

This is our new little budgie, his/her name is, Bandersnatch

IMG_11071.jpg 20170415_150138.jpg

Stevetomobs

Strolling the yard
My budgies have always preferred the type of toys they can climb on, and two of mine love using the little ladder in their cage, but thats just mine though. All birds have different preferences.

Ppoi

Strolling the yard
I don't think your cockatiel and parakeet should share a cage. If you still do it, you need to have another cage around for if/when they don't get along. You don't want to be stuck with needing to separate them for safety, injury, or sickness and have nothing on hand.

Toys my budgies like are small planet pleasure toys (shredder), kabob (shredder), toys that have beads that they can slide or move, swing, shiny bells and more.

Teagan

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Teagan
My budgies have always preferred the type of toys they can climb on, and two of mine love using the little ladder in their cage, but thats just mine though. All birds have different preferences.
of course, I totally get that birds have unique preferences. I am just starting at level 0 when it comes to setting up a budgie friendly cage.

I think my heart would burst with the cuteness of my little budgie hopping up a ladder!

Teagan

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Teagan
I don't think your cockatiel and parakeet should share a cage. If you still do it, you need to have another cage around for if/when they don't get along. You don't want to be stuck with needing to separate them for safety, injury, or sickness and have nothing on hand.

Toys my budgies like are small planet pleasure toys (shredder), kabob (shredder), toys that have beads that they can slide or move, swing, shiny bells and more.
We will definitely watch them for negative interactions, we want them to be happy and healthy. Our avian vet and our breeder thought it was a good idea but we will watch them closely to make sure they are good with each other.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I would start them in separate cages and then see if they get along outside of the cages (after quarantine) before attempting to put them in the same cage. They will decide if they want to go in the same cage or not. I've heard the budgies can be more bossy.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Our budgies love shredding toys...they're also in love with the swings...:)