• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Toys for Canaries

Blueszz

Meeting neighbors
I'm curious what kind of toys your canaries like. Of course they have swings but there definitely must be more I can offer them than I can think off.

Mine like natural materials the most, for instance like this.
back-zoo-nature-discovery-set-20-l.jpg
The con is that they can use this as nesting material. I want to keep them from breeding as long as possible this season although I don't know if I can avoid that.

As bedding I use pieces of beech, I'm not a native speaker and I have no idea what you would call them like. I also offer sand in a bowl and they like to sift through it.

I think Canaries are very curious and they like something new to investigate.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I wonder if they’d like bells. My budgies love bells! At pet stores I see them picking fine hay out of little balls - probably also for nesting. Not a toy, but they might like a platform perch too. I hope to have a canary one day. @finchly

Blueszz

Meeting neighbors
Thank you so much!

I wonder if they’d like bells. My budgies love bells! At pet stores I see them picking fine hay out of little balls - probably also for nesting. Not a toy, but they might like a platform perch too. I hope to have a canary one day. @finchly
I thought of hay and I bet they like that. But I too think they'll use it for nesting. I don't know about bells, I'm about to give it a try. I think they like to peck at it but not for the sounds, maar to investigate what it is. At least that is what I read about it.

My finches enjoy swings and toys with crinkle paper.
Yes swings are definitely favorite. Besides a regular swing mine have a rope swing made from sisal. Impossible to clean but also easy and cheap to replace. I can see how they would love crinkle paper, going to try that. I also have seen a wicker ball filled with colored narrow strips of paper. It's on my wish list for them but when I visited the store recently all were gone.

My mom lives in a nursing home and they have a canary on the ward. She loves to shred newspaper. I know newspaper is a no go, but makes me wonder if other canaries might love to shred papier and what kind of papier would be suitable for that purpose. I'm almost 100% positive that canary is female and maybe she shreds paper because she has the desire to build a nest.

Today I'm gong to try to make my own toys for them, from beads and bells, going to try some other objects too. I don't like the look of brightly colored plastic toys but if they enjoy it, it's ok.
Will make some photo's and let you know what they thing of it.

I certainly won't stuff their cage with it as they need space to fly. I'm waiting for new blinds to be installed, looking forward to it as I want to give them the opportunity to fly and investigate the room. I was told they'll will go back to the cage as long as I only feed them in their cage. Do you have any experience with it?

Blueszz

Meeting neighbors
Well, I tried with several toys.

Initially they showed interest but it wasn't more than curiosity. They ignored everything from plastic and the bell quickly. The only toy that got their attention was a sisal rope with beads and a bell. And that wasn't for the beads and bell but for the rope.

Well, they already have a sisal rope swing so that sisal got their attention wasn't a surprise to me.

Back to the drawing board.

I went for crinkle paper and a toy with narrow strips of paper but the local shop I visited didn't carry them.

Quailer2

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mathis Michel
I'm curious what kind of toys your canaries like. Of course they have swings but there definitely must be more I can offer them than I can think off.

Mine like natural materials the most, for instance like this.
View attachment 403221
The con is that they can use this as nesting material. I want to keep them from breeding as long as possible this season although I don't know if I can avoid that.

As bedding I use pieces of beech, I'm not a native speaker and I have no idea what you would call them like. I also offer sand in a bowl and they like to sift through it.

I think Canaries are very curious and they like something new to investigate.
My finches like shredding toys and foraging toys. I also occupy them with parsley as sometimes there is a branch that they want to snip off so they pull and pull and.... You get the point..

Blueszz

Meeting neighbors
My finches like shredding toys and foraging toys. I also occupy them with parsley as sometimes there is a branch that they want to snip off so they pull and pull and.... You get the point..
I tried organic parsley when I just got them but they barely ate from it. Could be because they needed to get adjust from living in a breeder cage at the breeders, to sort of a flight cage in my livingroom. I should try parsley again!
What kind of foraging toys do you give them? I can't imagine my canaries will get exited about them as it might be to hard. I might underestimate them :)

Quailer2

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mathis Michel
I tried organic parsley when I just got them but they barely ate from it. Could be because they needed to get adjust from living in a breeder cage at the breeders, to sort of a flight cage in my livingroom. I should try parsley again!
What kind of foraging toys do you give them? I can't imagine my canaries will get exited about them as it might be to hard. I might underestimate them :)
Your canaries seem picky...Mine ate parsley as soon as they knew it was food! I give them paper foraging toys watch this video for ideas: