• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Toys for birds with broken beaks

kanth

Strolling the yard
I don't really consider my bird to be special needs, I guess he technically is but his care isn't that different than my other birds. Anyways, he's a green cheek conure & he has a broken beak and is missing a nail. His parents were first time parents and obviously, they weren't great parents. He's a year old, I've had him for a couple months now. No one wanted him because he has no trust for or interest in humans. I only met one of his siblings but he was very tame, and I was told the rest of his siblings were too, so I assume his distrust of humans is from the many vet visits he had to go to as a baby bird. His beak broke at an angle so on one side he can still eat crunchy things and eat seeds in the shell, I mist his pellets but other than that his diet is the same as my other birds. He can't balance well on swings so he doesn't have any, other than that his missing nail has no impact on his life. So his care is very easy, except he won't play with toys. I can't entertain him since he doesn't want to be around me and he plays with my other gcc but only for a couple hours a day. He seems bored, he climbs to the top of his cage and paces back and forth, sometimes for hours at a time. He doesn't like music, cartoons, bells, mirrors, shredding, foraging, or any other type of toy. He has one toy he plays with every couple days: Amazon.com : Super Bird Creations Wiggles and Wafers Toy for Birds : Pet Toys : Pet Supplies but he won't play with toys I've bought that are similar to this toy. I can't think of anything else to entertain him but if any of you guys have ideas please let me know.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:bump4:

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Cupcake puffs are a favorite and balsa anything. Something with stuff to pick at...what about natural cork bark as a platform. Some of our vendors here have them. Sometimes mine will ignore a toy for a month and then I come home and it's gone in a day. Also, have you tried 1/8" pine pieces? My cheekies LOVE those. Or maybe start him out with some super thin balsa and work your way up.

How to make a Hachi Ball | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
What kind of foraging have you tried? Is he otherwise food motivated? I've had best luck starting with easily accessible food that they can see to start. Like this :

Small Parrot Toys by Lil Monsters Bird Toys | Product Page

Like Chandra said, paper, balsa, cork, super thin pine are great for cheekies. My cheekie didn't like 99% of the toys you find at pet shops, which is why I had to largely make my own for her or buy from Avian Avenue vendors. I even named a toy after her with some of her favorites:

kanth

Strolling the yard
What kind of foraging have you tried? Is he otherwise food motivated? I've had best luck starting with easily accessible food that they can see to start. Like this :

Like Chandra said, paper, balsa, cork, super thin pine are great for cheekies. My cheekie didn't like 99% of the toys you find at pet shops, which is why I had to largely make my own for her or buy from Avian Avenue vendors. I even named a toy after her with some of her favorites:

These are his foraging toys: Cagemount Buffet Ball , Amazon.com : Super Bird Creations Coco Treat Cup Toy for Birds : Pet Supplies , Amazon.com : Super Bird Creations 18 by 2-1/2-Inch Bottom's Up Bird Toy, Large : Pet Toys : Pet Supplies
He loves food more than any of my other birds. I use safflower seeds, sunflower seeds, millet, and his favorite harrisons pellets for foraging toys. He has eaten from the easiest one once when I first put it in but no interest since then. I made a foraging toy for him that was very easy, I put it by his food bowl but he dumps all the treats on the floor every time I refill it. I can't tell if he's trying to use it or if he's irritated by it.

He has a toy with shredded paper, one with chinese finger traps, and one with wooden blocks. I've given him some of my other green cheeks favorite toys, a shredding toy, a wooden toy, and a bell, but no interest in those either.

kanth

Strolling the yard
He started playing today! I added a new toy, a small plastic one, and he started fiddling with the link. I left to take a shower and all the toys with links were unscrewed and on the floor. At least he's found something entertaining.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
You could order from somewhere like CABN or MYOBT (which is the sister site to Super Bird Creations) and buy a whole bunch of different things and try them out to see if he likes them. Just an idea!

Revali

Walking the driveway
I don't really consider my bird to be special needs, I guess he technically is but his care isn't that different than my other birds. Anyways, he's a green cheek conure & he has a broken beak and is missing a nail. His parents were first time parents and obviously, they weren't great parents. He's a year old, I've had him for a couple months now. No one wanted him because he has no trust for or interest in humans. I only met one of his siblings but he was very tame, and I was told the rest of his siblings were too, so I assume his distrust of humans is from the many vet visits he had to go to as a baby bird. His beak broke at an angle so on one side he can still eat crunchy things and eat seeds in the shell, I mist his pellets but other than that his diet is the same as my other birds. He can't balance well on swings so he doesn't have any, other than that his missing nail has no impact on his life. So his care is very easy, except he won't play with toys. I can't entertain him since he doesn't want to be around me and he plays with my other gcc but only for a couple hours a day. He seems bored, he climbs to the top of his cage and paces back and forth, sometimes for hours at a time. He doesn't like music, cartoons, bells, mirrors, shredding, foraging, or any other type of toy. He has one toy he plays with every couple days: Amazon.com : Super Bird Creations Wiggles and Wafers Toy for Birds : Pet Toys : Pet Supplies but he won't play with toys I've bought that are similar to this toy. I can't think of anything else to entertain him but if any of you guys have ideas please let me know.
Very sad. Hope he peps back up soon for you. How does a bird break its beak though? Can it happen flying around a house?

kanth

Strolling the yard
Very sad. Hope he peps back up soon for you. How does a bird break its beak though? Can it happen flying around a house?
One of his parents bit it off when he was a baby

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Can it happen flying around a house?

This would be a rare occurrence. If they hit something fast enough to break their beak they likely wouldn't survive, sadly.

kanth

Strolling the yard
Going through his first molt has been a little difficult for him. He’s been able to get the smaller pin feathers but the larger ones like his tail/wings, he can only get 10% or so off by himself. I’ve tried just leaving them to let him get it off because maybe he just needs time but he doesn’t usually get them. In the picture you can kinda see all the marks where he’s trying to get it off & the top is gone so it’s definitely ready to be removed. I got that off for him today & one of his wing pins. Is there any way to help him outside of preening for him???my other gcc has preening issues as well but I’ve never been able to help them and I feel bad for them
IMG_0542.JPG - Google Drive

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
Have you tried foot toys or little balls like willow vine balls he can pick up, throw and chase? Sawyer enjoys throwing stuff and rolling balls around

kanth

Strolling the yard
Have you tried foot toys or little balls like willow vine balls he can pick up, throw and chase? Sawyer enjoys throwing stuff and rolling balls around
When I first got him I thought he’d like those the most since he enjoys being on the bottom of his cage but he’s never been interested in them

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
Little General fell and broke his beak

Revali

Walking the driveway
I suppose I'll have to try and put some perches on the wall or places my bird can land for sure. Very sorry to here about Little General.