• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Toy Suggestions for my GC Conure

xbabybree

Moving in
Real Name
Breanna Boatright
I'm a very new conure owner, and I desperately need some help!

My Pineapple GCC, Applejack, seems to not be interested in any of her toys. I know she is still warming up to our home and her cage. She does play with a few types of toys, but I am looking for suggestions on what other toy types along these lines that she would like.

1. Paper straw with seeds inside - this is by far her favorite toy and I make them myself. They keep her very busy, but not when she is in her cage since she drops them often and cage has a grate bottom that it would fall through.
2. Wooden clothes pegs
3. Chewing phone cases (I have no idea why she is so obsessed with this)

She is sometimes interested in a woven grass chew toy in her cage although very rarely. She also ate a step off of her ladder, but I think she was just bored. She loves beads and metal chains too, but I'm afraid that they are dangerous so we don't allow her to play with them.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My green cheek loved sola, cork, craft sticks, 1/8" thin pine, and balsa, as well as plastic foot toys. I have a large variety of things she would have loved in my shop, LMBT :heart:

For safe stainless steel toys, check out Blue's Bird Toys. (BBT) I absolutely adore her stuff!!

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I love to use cork perches for birds that are a reluctant to chew. Doubles as a toy and perch and all my birds so for enjoy them, some only nibble them and others full on destroy them.

xbabybree

Moving in
Real Name
Breanna Boatright
Thank you both for your suggestions! I think I may have a bigger issue.... My girl is very dependent on my husband and I so we are going to start with building her independence, and hopefully, she will have more comfortability with her toys. :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It can take some time for them to understand what toys are for. You can start with foot toys or toy parts and hand them to her while she is sitting with you. You can try to fiddle with them with your hands to encourage her. Also, hiding her favorite treats in plain site on a toy can be a good start!

JunoTheIRN

Sitting on the front steps
I'm a very new conure owner, and I desperately need some help!

My Pineapple GCC, Applejack, seems to not be interested in any of her toys. I know she is still warming up to our home and her cage. She does play with a few types of toys, but I am looking for suggestions on what other toy types along these lines that she would like.

1. Paper straw with seeds inside - this is by far her favorite toy and I make them myself. They keep her very busy, but not when she is in her cage since she drops them often and cage has a grate bottom that it would fall through.
2. Wooden clothes pegs
3. Chewing phone cases (I have no idea why she is so obsessed with this)

She is sometimes interested in a woven grass chew toy in her cage although very rarely. She also ate a step off of her ladder, but I think she was just bored. She loves beads and metal chains too, but I'm afraid that they are dangerous so we don't allow her to play with them.
I think putting a seagrass mat / hammock will both entertain her and give her a comfy place to sleep! My bird absolutely loves shredding his, and your birds sounds like a shredder bird too