• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Toxic metal in bird toys???

Karla2023

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Karla
My friend also bought two birds from this place and now she is highly concerned.

Winn

Jogging around the block
@Winn thank you so much for this valuable information. I did buy like 2 Amazon wooden toys immediately removed them and threw them away. I will not be buying from the bird shop either. I will buy from the stores listed in this forum. This is some scary stuff. :( very sad
There's probably no way to know when or where your bird was exposed to copper. The pet stores I've visited have all provided their birds for sale with the same types of massed-produced bird toys that are sold on Amazon or in the shops.

I'm wishing your bird a speedy recovery!

Karla2023

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Karla
There's probably no way to know when or where your bird was exposed to copper. The pet stores I've visited have all provided their birds for sale with the same types of massed-produced bird toys that are sold on Amazon or in the shops.

I'm wishing your bird a speedy recovery!
Thank you so much. For you comments and advise.

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
So maybe you could show the vet your water test results because it looks to me they’re quite good. I’m thinking there is some culprit toy or something your beautiful girl got into. Or something befire you brought her home. But you may never know.

will They give your bird some chelating medication to pull the metal out? Or xray to see if there are any bits and bibs inside? I knew of a too who ate curtain weights and got lead poisoning. The lead stayed in her gizzard and was shown on xray.

Karla2023

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Karla
So maybe you could show the vet your water test results because it looks to me they’re quite good. I’m thinking there is some culprit toy or something your beautiful girl got into. Or something befire you brought her home. But you may never know.

will They give your bird some chelating medication to pull the metal out? Or xray to see if there are any bits and bibs inside? I knew of a too who ate curtain weights and got lead poisoning. The lead stayed in her gizzard and was shown on xray.
I was given by the vet injection therapy of Edetate calcium disodium two times a day for 5 days then after that is once a day for 14 days I started today. I was so scared to hurt the poop bird. My hands were shaking. I never inject an animal before and even less a bird. I inject people not animals lol. I view birds as fragile creatures. But I think I did a good job the second time. She lets me give her meds and injection. But when I take her to the vet she will scream. I created a medication log just like we have in the hospital. With the times i have giving her meds. She takes several. Some are vitamins. I have an appt tomorrow with the vet I will show them my water results. It was probably a toy or a cage or something that they had hanging on the cage.