• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Toxic List

Macaw Lover

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
Actually Gatorade is safe. If a bird is sick and you need to hydrate the little one and don't have any Pedialyte on hand, you can use the Gatorade, just dilute both 50-50 with water and get into the bird.

Tomatoes are high in acidity but they can have in small amounts.

Seeing this is a Toxic list, add the fact that Macaws are susceptible to Respiratory Hypersensitivity to the dusty birds, i.e. 'Toos, 'Teils, and the Greys/

Patty Girl

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Pat , Trisha, Patty Girl
...and not sure what temp the oven should be. Can you help me. This is the "newbie' Pattygirl :)

I will try to help on this one. The temp is to kill the microbes, bugs, lichens...etc. on the wood BUT you don't want the wood to combust! Most of these possible pests should be annihilated at 220- 250F which above the boiling water temps that are used to sterilize canning jars/lids/etc. I suppose 30 minutes to an hour would do it at the full temp so let the wood warm up and begin timing...(and an hour is "probably" overkill but hey, it's our best fuds* we're talking about here)...

*feathered buds :)
Hi, Thanks for your reply! I did do that and also scrubbed til the branch shined (with vinegar) My babies arrived last week thurs and love that branch! 20170102_125058.jpg

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Parsley was once considered to be toxic, but it is now known to not be toxic. Cilantro is surprising, too. I know lots of people who use and reccommend Cilantro.

Was worried about the parsley as seen it on a few lists. So its safe?

Found this PDF that lists alot of toxins...Interesting read.

http://avianmedicine.net/content/uploads/2013/03/37.pdf

Kind of technical & old as its lists parsley as bad.