• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Totally different yet they look so much alike

Newbie GCC

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Rhema is so different than Roma. This is a new learning experience and just when I thought I had it (semi) figured out!

I had to go to Dallas area over the weekend and left her here in Hubs care. When I got home, it was unpack, post pictures of the new baby in the family on FB, and then off to the Superbowl party. Gotta put Rhemmie back in her cage before leaving.........

Cage doors are open when we are home. She will climb out, but has not figured out how to get back in. Most of the time, she will make a circle around the room and then fly straight into her cage. Yesterday was NOT one of those times! After 15 minutes of trying to catch her to put her back in, we decided to leave her on top of the cage and just put the dog outside. Roma was safely in his room with the door shut.

Get home and she still was not ready to get back in her cage. Another 15 minutes of excersize for me while we circled the room. She finally wears out and lets me pick her up. While I have her, I decide to see if she will let me get a few pinnies, and she actually let me! And seemed to enjoy it a little bit when she realized those pinnies were being taken care of! Kept it short and sweet and then back in her cage.

Rhemmie had not had a bath since bringing her home. Tonight I put the bath bowl in her cage. She eyeballs it for over an hour before coming down to inspect it. Took her 2 seconds to jump in once she tasted the water, barely bathed (but some is better than none, right?!) and then flew straight out of the cage to the lampshade. And let me scritch her head and neck again without flying off! Death grip on the lampshade, though......

It is hard to reward her for these moments. She does not take fruit, nuts, treats, or anything from our hands. She runs to the opposite side of the cage when we feed or clean. Tonight I just put a small bowl with some seed on top of her cage when she flew back over.

Some days she doesn't eat or even come off her basswood perch unless I am sitting in the same room for a good long while. She obviously craves some attention, but I haven't earned it yet.

Roma was eating treats handed to him, but never coming off his cage after the first couple weeks. Rhema is flying around the room, but not taking treats.

Roma was a massive biter if he didn't like something, Rhema has not even made an attempt to nip or nibble. Just runs away.

Each bird really does have an individual personality that needs to be explored and learned. Don't just assume that because they are the same type of bird that they will be similiar in any way!

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Good job so far. Yep all mine are very different...keeps you on your toes!

Newbie GCC

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
One thing that is the same with these 2......when they are planning mischief, they get the same look and have the same squeeky chirps! They were flock calling each other after I posted this. Rhema quiets down and gets " the look" and does "the squeek" and takes off for Roma's room!:sour: Kinda upset her that the door was closed and she couldn't get in. Played keep away again. :meh:

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Uh oh, you may have a Zephyr and Jewel on your hands soon! Always into everything...