• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Topical Application of Castor Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
I came across this article yesterday in search of a natural remedy for my ankle that I believe has a slight sprain. It made me wonder if this might be something that would be beneficial for birds with arthritis or an inflamation?

When used externally (rubbed into the skin), castor oil is able to penetrate deeper than any other essential plant oil. Rubbing castor oil on the skin can relieve pain, reduce inflammation, detoxify the body and boost lymphatic circulation.

I used it last night on my ankle, that was swollen last night from walking on it too much and to my surprise, my ankle swelling was gone! I am going to keep using it for the next few days to see if it remedies the situation.

This is the article and as you can see, it has many medicinal uses.
Castor Oil's many medicinal and healing uses

What are your thoughts about this as a possible use with parrots?

Note: I have never used Castor Oil on my birds and would check with your vet before trying.

Last edited:

merlinsmom13

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky
Interesting for sure, I'll keep it in mind. I know its not how my granny used castor oil. :lol:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Interesting for sure, I'll keep it in mind. I know its not how my granny used castor oil. :lol:
:lol:I would check with a vet before use, it just crossed my mind though it may be a natural product that could be used.

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Pat, personally I would NOT use this around my birds:*Castor Beans: Common Name: Castor Bean, Castor, Castor Oil Plant, palma Christi, Wonder Tree, Higuerilla, Steadfast Toxic Principle: Leaves, Seeds, Ricin, Ricinin Clinical Signs: Decrease blood pressure, Hypothermia, Decrease in blood glucose, Increase in serum hepatic enzymes: AST, ALT, LDH, Increase in BUN, calcium, phosphorous, Upset Stomach, Vomitting, Abdominal Pain, Nausea, Diarrhea, Anorexia, Trembling, Weakness, Sudden Collapse, Seizures, Exercise intolerance, Ataxia, Slight Depression, Copious thick, ropy salivation, Thirsty.....Taken from:Foods & Plants Toxic to Birds

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
While the castor bean contains toxins that makes it poisonous, the expressed oil only has trace amounts of those toxins. So when castor oil is taken internally or ingested, it causes purgative (laxative) effects instead of poisoning the body.

Thats why I said to check with your vet first. The bean itself is toxic, not the oil so I would see what an avian vet would say.

:hug8:

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I would love to hear what a vet would have to say about this :)

Daisy's Mom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
I know this is silly but whenever I think of Castor Oil it always reminds me of a episode of the Little Rascals.. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.