• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Todays test readings!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I have been mulling over your post, and trying to think of any other possible causes for what you saw the fish doing. Do this for me today, run another test of the PH in the tank, then run a PH test of the water straight from your tap. I am wondering if all the airation from the amount of airstones you have, is driving the PH up? Because throughout your cycle, you were getting high readings-8.0
I love the names choices.:D

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
They are beautiful Marie. Don't be disappointed if the one with the black turns orange. Yikes, a scary first night! I don't understand how the tank could be that high if your home is 73, unless this fluval really puts out a lot of heat. I second what Carmie said, about a small fan. Just blowing it at the filter tubing helps too, kind of like how a chiller works. The only thing electric running into the tank is the airpump and fluval, correct? {sometimes stray voltage causes problems}
They don't look like they are flashing do they? If you need to call me don't hesitate. Congrats on your first fish!:hug8:
House temp is 68.9 this morning/ Tank digital temp is 72.5 / glass is 74. Should I raise it to 75?
Yes, I know Suchi's (black/orange) color most likely will change and that's fine. I wish i could get a clear picture of him because he has the cutest compact neat little wen! I can watch Hamachi's beautiful tail all day. He has a pretty little wen as well. I don't know if Sushi is flashing. What he does is he'll be swimming normally and then will move as if he's revved up his engine a little. He'll wiggle his tail faster and head straight up toward the top but as if he's fighting the current. Sometimes he'll go all the way to the top while other times he stops 2/3 up. he doesn't slam up at the top though or into anything. What they also do periodically is swim as if their tails are weighing them down so they go more vertical as if a current is pushing them sideways. Is that floating?
They are beautiful!

Blowing a fan across the (open) top of the tank helps to cool it too. It cools by evaporation so have water on hand to replace what evaporates.
Thanks, I have a fan on hand and will try that if it heats up again.

Another thought.. do you have the spraybar breaking the surface of the water? This will help oxygenate the water also. You should always have some surface movement. But too much flow can also cause stress. How long did you acclimate them? You aren't using a heater, right?
Yes, the spray bar is breaking the surface and water is rippling steadily as well as the three bubbler's' breaking the surface. They like playing in the bubbles and also the spray bar.
I have been mulling over your post, and trying to think of any other possible causes for what you saw the fish doing. Do this for me today, run another test of the PH in the tank, then run a PH test of the water straight from your tap. I am wondering if all the airation from the amount of airstones you have, is driving the PH up? Because throughout your cycle, you were getting high readings-8.0
I love the names choices.:D
This morning's readings:
Tap water PH - 7.6
Tank PH - 6.0
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 5.0

Hmmm...wonder if I should Prazi them today (was going to wait a week) but they're hanging up by the spray bar a lot right now and I just read this: Playing In the Waterfall: What looks like a lot of fun for us may indicate goldfish may not be getting enough dissolved oxygen. Deeper problems with gills such as flukes....". :confused:

Last edited:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
After talking with Carole I shut off my disk bubbler and low and behold....problem solved! The water current in the tank that I couldn't see was too strong. Now they're swimming fine. Also re-tested the PH and it's 7.6 so that's good too. I'm relieved! Thanks again Carole!

Here's another pic of Hamachi. Sushi wouldn't stay in one spot long enough. Will try again later.

Attachments

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
They are both beautiful! I am glad that your problem has been solved!

Matt

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Thanks Matt. :)
Here's the latest problem...no matter how minimal I turn the air stone on it still blows them around the tank. I moved the two air stones (one is 4" and one is 6") to either back corner and put them on low and it still is too much so I only tried one and that didn't work either. So now I have them both off and am only using the spray bar. Is the spray bar enough for a 29 gal tank? The spray bar is 10".

Last edited:

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
awesome Marie! I sooo want a fish tank now, even more than I did before. hehe!

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole

I just read this: Playing In the Waterfall: What looks like a lot of fun for us may indicate goldfish may not be getting enough dissolved oxygen. Deeper problems with gills such as flukes....". :confused:
This could be it. Do you have the prazi? It won't hurt the biofilter, or them. It might be worth a try.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I've been watching them closely today and they are doing a lot better but still going up to the top too much I feel and gulping some air so I will do the Prazi.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
What about only using the spray bar, Carole? I aimed it a little more upward so instead of rippling is more like a boil now and is louder. I;m kind of nervous about that bing the only aeration.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Maybe you can get a smaller air pump and a single airstone? I just use whisper 10's, even in the 90. Just watch and make sure they seem ok. Watch for evaporation and replace water as needed also. Yawning is also a sign of flukes.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
They're so cute!!! :cheer: I love the names!!!

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Maybe you can get a smaller air pump and a single airstone? I just use whisper 10's, even in the 90. Just watch and make sure they seem ok. Watch for evaporation and replace water as needed also. Yawning is also a sign of flukes.
Ahhh...that's probably it. I have the Whisper 60! I'll get the 10 and see how that goes. I have noticed they are yawning a little. I started the Prazi treatment today. Will do the 2nd treatment after my next WC in 7 days. Will do 4 total treatments.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Too bad we couldn't swap..if we lived down the street.:D I have two 10's. I think there is a 20 also, or ?

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Wouldn't that be fun!
I called the local pet supply store but they're closed so will pick one up tomorrow night when I can get the car. They are doing so much better now, a lot more relaxed. The little one (Sushi) likes to follow Hamachi around and swim under his pretty tail. :)

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
They are doing so much better now, a lot more relaxed. The little one (Sushi) likes to follow Hamachi around and swim under his pretty tail. :)
I am so happy they are doing better.:highfive:

It sounds like it might be Mr. Sushi and Ms. Hamachi!:hug3:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Really? I'll have to look up pics and see if I can tell the gender. :D I am waiting word from my 2 yr old granddaughter who is out of state with her mom. She may want to name one of them Ponyo!

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Cool! I wanted to name Pinto Ponyo, but I decided not to because of our member Aleu who has a blue ringneck with that name.:D

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
My grand-baby is fascinated with the Ponyo movie and when she found out it is pictured after a redcap oranda she's been smitten with the name.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
This mornings readings:
PH - 7.6
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 5.0

What happens if the readings show there is need for a WC when they are still in a Prazi bath (day 2)?

I gave them two peas each this morning. Little piggies loved them.

Last edited:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
It won't. But if some freak thing happens in your tank that happens in no other, you just add back the prazi.;) Looking good, stop worrying.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.