• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Today I found Gracie dead in the birdroom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suchabetty

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jamie
:sadhug: So very sorry to hear about Gracie. Reading what you wrote about the time you spent with her is just how i feel about my Betty! :heart::heart:Betty, Dixie and I send lots of huggs too you :hug8:Fly high at the bridge Gracie.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I am very touched at everyone's words of comfort. Thank you so very much; it does help.

The two cockatiels left on my front porch have been bathed throughly and no longer smell like cigarette smoke. They are eating well, but only of millet and sunflower seed at present; won't touch anything else. They go to the vet Friday for cultures and exams and will be in quarantine for at least 45 days. Although they are not skinny, they look terrible; no luster to their feathers, their feet dry and leathery and their toe nails so very overgrown. They have obviously never been handled and are terrified when I have to towel them, screaming like they are sure I will kill them any second. The only thing they do is sit on a wooden perch and stare at one another. I have never seen them do a 'well bird stretch' or groom themselves or one another, even when they were wet from their washing. It breaks my heart to see these poor socially deprived birds cowering in their new, much larger cage, looking as poorly maintained as I have seen any bird not in full starvation mode. I cannot help but contrast them to my Gracie Tiel; with my Gracie's shiny white feathers, pink supple feet, perfect beak and bright, shiny eyes and clear nares. These birds were not loved or cared for, they were simply maintained and never given any real love and socialization. Gracie had a good life, and to memorialize that life, I am going to give these two new foundlings a good a life as I gave my Gracie and hope they will be with me as long as she was.

Fly high and enjoy the life across the Bridge surrounded by your mate, Chip, and all the babies that predeceased you. I promise to take these new babies you sent under my own wing and make their life good. I love you Gracie.

Last edited:

Conmom

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Helen
Lois - I am so very sorry for your loss. If you had come earlier it would not have made a difference, we all go when it's our time. I can't imagine the pain you are going thru, my guys are @14 and 15 so hopefully I have @ 4 or five more years. But there are no guarantees. Take comfort in the fact that Gracie had a wonderful home all the time she was with you, you made each other happy, and she lived and died in a loving home. That's so much more than many animals/people get. And Lois, I will never forget that you were there for me when Big Arrow was killed. Anything I can do to help let me know, PM me if you want. Take Care. Helen

penguin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Wow, Fate works quickly sometimes. Looking forward to meeting the new foundlings and agree that Gracie must have sent them your way.

birdbrain9

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Donna
So sorry for your loss Lois but Gracie knew she was loved and thats the best gift we can ever share with our fids. Im sure she's sharing storiez about you to all her new friends on the other side of the rainbow bridge.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Just seeing this Lois. I'm deeply sorry for your great loss. :sadhug:

Artagiel

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Haley
I am so sorry for your loss. She was a loved little girl and had a blessed life with you.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I am so sorry for your loss :hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8:.

Shamrock

Real Name
Meredith
I am so very, very sorry to hear of your loss of Gracie. I had a similar experience a couple of years ago with my 2 year old B&G, Tiku. Rest assured she knew how much she was loved. :hug8:

HelenVanessaDavies

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Helen
Only just seeing this now Lois...I'm so:heart: very sorry for your loss. Gracie was definately one of a kind, very loved and will never be forgotten :hug8:

Daisy's Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
Oh Lois.. :sadhug: I am soo very sorry for your loss.. :hug8: Fly free sweet little Gracie.. :grouphug:

Dana Lee

Real Name
Dana
I'm so very sorry for your loss :sadhug2:

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I took Gracie's foundlings to the vet today and Dr Stern gave them a great exam and said their lungs are very impaired from cigarette smoke and she can even see some staining in their nares. I am to continue misting them daily to help clean their feathers and she gave them a booster shot of vitamins and minerals and gave me vitamins for their water for two weeks. She took the cultures for psitticosis and agreed about the 45 day quarantine.

I have named them Smokey and Lisa and have started sitting beside their cage and reading aloud to them to start taming them. Poor things are terrified of my voice and cower in the corner of their cage. I know they will learn to not do that as they become more acustomed to my presence. Gracie would have been one of the first birds to welcome them into the birdroom. She always came over to meet the newcomers to the birdroom.

merlinsmom13

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky
:hug8:So glad you were able to save them.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
I'm so sorry Lois to hear of your loss of Gracie :hug8:

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I am beginning to adjust to her not being there. I don't automatically look to see where she is perched when I go into the birdroom. But of course just walking into the room reminds me she will not be there. I am focusing on taming these two new foundlings and it helps;but of course nothing takes her place. I miss burying my nose in her white soft feathers as I kiss her breast and hearing her little female chirp.

Sunshine and Trixie help. They come to me and snuggle and know I am feeling down. Trixie is kind of a clown and hangs upside down from the suspended boings and perches and makes me laugh. Of course Frisky continues to find opportunities to pleasure himself on my head and I have a newly rehomed Lovebird, Blu Bird, a female, that I got for poor Harley PFLB; Harley was Gracie's boyfriend and he needed a mate after she died. It is nice watching Blu and Harley negotiate a relationship. It does not matter if they bond, just that they are friends. Harley certainly has not wasted any time telling Blu he is interested in her.

Thanks, all of you, so much for your condolences and well wishes. It has helped a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.