• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Toby the bowl flipper

atomicfriday

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Shannon
So I got Toby a new cage that is bigger and has a play top, he loves it and so do I. Except for one thing.

The bowls just drop into a slot and are not particularly secured. So he enjoys much to my aggravation to constantly flip over his food and water bowls creating quite a musty mess. How can I prevent this?!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'll be curious to see what people say. My too somehow manages to dump his locked in water bowl. I'm still not sure how he does it.....

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Can you post a pic so we can see how the bowls and bowl holder look like?

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Lurch used to do that till I got a bigger cage with stops for all the bowls. He couldn't lift them high enough so he stopped trying. You can get stand alone locking stainless bowls that should work. I had a plastic one that worked well but it got dirty and nasty way too easy.

cnyguy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Gary
Ralph the QP used to do that too. He stopped tipping out his water dish after dumping the water all over himself once. He didn't like that unexpected bath at all, and was smart enough to know how it happened. He kept dumping his food dish though, so I switched from the bowl that drops into a support ring to a Quik-Lock bowl that fits through a slot in its support base and twists to secure it. After seven years, it's still working-- though Ralph does try to pull it out now and then.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Jingo does this. He goes under, so I put a small platform perch under it.

Is he doing it from the top or bottom?

atomicfriday

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Shannon
He is pulling it from out over top. It's late now but I will take a photo tomorrow. His previous cage had the bar around the top edge so he couldn't do it then, but if I forgot to lock them from the outside he would open the latches and pull them from the side. Uhg!

EllaMay

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April
Reminder to not have Ella read this thread. She currently does not try to take her bowls out of the rings in her cage. (Whew!) o_O

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Doesn't look like there are any blockers to keep him from lifting the bowls out of the holder when the doors closed. My cage has bars that lock it in once the door is closed and it worked.

fidsmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
you can try to put a small piece of cardboard between the dish, it will keep the dish in place and the dish wont budge, Only thing is whenever you want to remove dish, you will have to remember to put piece cardboard back in next to dish.