• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Toast Muncher!

Tarnished

Meeting neighbors
So Prim and I have begun settling into the habit of eating breakfast together...literally together.

For those that don't know I'm a second bird owner, but Prim is my first Lovie :) And she is almost a year old!!! Yay Prim!

Anyway, atm Prim has a particularly love for toast (well anything that I eat, but she can only eat breakfast because my family don't like her enough to let her eat at lunch/dinner). So everytime I take a bit of toast she lunges from my shoulder to steal a peace and then sits back proudly munching it. Either that or she crawls down my arm in order to take as much as she can.

So far we've breakfasted around three times together, when I realised it's white bread! Is this really bad for lovebirds??? She only has a few mouthfuls each day (Due to mum eating faster and getting sneakier at eating), but could this hurt her?

She's also taken sips out of my tea once, but I put a stop to that due to the caffeine! Goodness she's a bad girl ;) But I love her.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Awww little girl lovies do have a special way about them, hehe!!

Welllll, white bread doesn't have much nutritional content...and I think there's something about birds eating bread regularly possibly causing problems? But I don't know the specifics. I don't think every once in a while would hurt, but I defer to people who have researched this more.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Tarnished, it is a bad idea to allow her to lunge at your food or march down your arm to help herself. When she gets older, she will become more assertive, if not aggressive, possibly even becoming bitey or nippy about being denied access to absolutely everything you eat or drink. She may even resort to ripping food out of your hand or mouth. It is better to teach her to take her share from your hand, rather than help herself as she pleases. My hen lovies have always been more food aggressive than any cock I've had. Think about it, OK?

Applebutter

Jogging around the block
^ what others have said. She sounds really cute though, drinking tea and eating toast :hehe:

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I did not mean to sound so critical about her helping herself, but I had that experience with my second hen lovie and had to do some difficult retraining with Alice when she became sexually mature at 10 months. She eventually bit my lip pretty hard and clamped down, refusing to let go for several minutes. Luckily, an experienced friend was beside me, and held Alice still so she couldn't tear my lip and saved me from needing stitches. I had been enchanted by Alice sharing my food, so cute and loving... Then, YIKES!!! I cried with hurt feelings, and Nancy gave me a little lovie psychology 101.

Your Prim sounds so darling, just like baby Alice.

Tarnished

Meeting neighbors
@Laurul- no offense taken :) I guessed that you were just helping out- thanks heaps for the tip! I will try and teach her to wait. I do appreciate your warning- doesn't sound like the most fun learning experience :p

@fluffypoptarts- Yus!! So I will have to let her one more time lol. Will have to wait for tomorrow as I'm at uni early today and Miss Prim doesn't see me til the afternoon :(