• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

To help or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Java likes to sit in the window during the day, and will whine until I draw back the curtains and pull up the blinds. Here's the issue: the windowsill is about 1/2 foot away from him but he refuses to fly to it, and he'll whine ALL day because it's out of his reach. Lately, I've been putting him in the window, which gets me bitten every time, but once he's in the window, he stops whining and happily chirps away. I was going to let him get into the window on his own, but he isn't confident in his ability to fly (granted, he still crashes and spirals when he tries), and he'll whine and scream at the window until I put him in it. Should I keep putting him in the window or let him figure it out for himself? I'm assuming he'll eventually learn to fly, but until he's perfected his flying, I don't think he feels confident enough to try. Thoughts? Suggestions?
Also, I should mention, the only time he really chomps down is if I try to move him from the cage in an effort to help him. Any other time, I can't seem to put him down without him doing everything in his power to hang onto me.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Can you meet him halfway with a ladder or perch? I personally am a fan of encouraging movement BUT I usually make the distance a few inches and then gradually increase

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Love the way you are so attuned to Java's needs, but don't wish to hamper him by your help!
I know a few humans who need lessons in that when it comes to "helping" children and old people.
In other words, those humans contribute greatly to learned helplessness.

Like Shawna's idea of increasing the distance after meeting halfway with a ladder... wow!

Fergus and Fiona like to play in their window too, so I put a tension rod perch there and it had a ladder and toy hanging off, but it seems they never play with toys when they're at the window. Guess they're too busy looking around enjoying the scenery?

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Love the way you are so attuned to Java's needs, but don't wish to hamper him by your help!
I know a few humans who need lessons in that when it comes to "helping" children and old people.
In other words, those humans contribute greatly to learned helplessness.
Thank you. My mom and grandmother give me a lot of grief when he whines the way he does, telling me," awww, help him, he wants to get in the window." My response is typically," he can fly," but they say I'm being mean. I usually comment that they can put him in the window if his whining bothers them so much, but noooo lol they're afraid of getting bit or screamed at

Last edited:

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
What about a platform perch, bring it a little closer to the window so he can reach the window easily and have no fear. He may start whining since you have 'answered' his calls :giggle:

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
If hes a chewer you might want to check out an acrylic ladder that you can put fleece on the rungs or vet tape for a better grip on the ladder

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I could get a window perch that's designed for cats, and it'll give him ample room and it'll extend closer to his cage so he doesn't have to go very far to get there! I think he'll love it!

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Will the micro fleece cause a problem, will his feet get stuck, I wonder if some of our vendors has or could make something like the window perch for cats but for Java

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Will the micro fleece cause a problem, will his feet get stuck, I wonder if some of our vendors has or could make something like the window perch for cats but for Java
I plan to put one of his fleece blankets over it, so I can just remove it as it gets dirty.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I don't blame him for being cautious if he knows his landing will likely not be great. I think Mizzely's idea is great. If you can watch him and work out how far he is happy to jump/fly that might give you a good idea of how much closer he needs a perch/platform to launch from so he can safely land on the sill. I really love that you are so aware of his needs but also so careful to make sure you encourage and help him to learn how to do things for himself. His confidence will continue to grow and so will his abilities with all your support, you're a gem :)

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I love it! The whole perch idea and his selection of toys to gnaw at his leisure. This is one loved fid!

Status
Not open for further replies.