• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

To Clip or Not To Clip...

To Clip or not to Clip...

• Clip those suckers!

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Long and luscious!

Votes: 24 92.3%

• Total voters

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Oh we have the exact same issue and have had for years with visitors and doors. We have a cat who was poorly treated and does not do very many cat type things due to the early life treatments she endured. She is not allowed outside (for various reasons), no matter how many times you remind people to not let the cat out they always do. When we have people over I am like a bouncer at the door.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Having lost a fair bit of my mobility, I get really frustrated about the things I used to do and still want to do but can not due to the physical impairments I now have.
I now am starting to wonder if birds who know flight feel any fear or frustration when they have it restricted or removed.
Any thoughts on this? I know they do not feel the same as we do and they have feelings for different motivating reasons but I can not help but wonder if they do get frantic or frustrated with the loss of flight.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Having lost a fair bit of my mobility, I get really frustrated about the things I used to do and still want to do but can not due to the physical impairments I now have.
I now am starting to wonder if birds who know flight feel any fear or frustration when they have it restricted or removed.
Any thoughts on this? I know they do not feel the same as we do and they have feelings for different motivating reasons but I can not help but wonder if they do get frantic or frustrated with the loss of flight.
I have zero doubt they do. People take their flight away often to make them dependent to ‘tame’ them, I mean, if I couldn’t walk I would be damn Nice to the person pushing my wheel chair! Even if I didn’t like that person. That is not trust, it is forcing trust. There are ways to build real trust with a clipped bird of course but it is much harder in my experience because they can’t Choose to get away. Fëanor was clipped in his previous home for exactly that reason. He used to have his wings but it was too difficult to make him come back to his cage etc. My poor baby didn’t understand he could not fly. He would be very angry when he couldn’t get to a place he wanted. Blue the BCC is always kept clipped by my stepmother. One time she let his flighted grow in(because she believed he couldn’t fly anyway), he started to fly to me whereever I went. But his flight was so clumsy, I was afraid he would hurt himself badly because no one was guiding him. When I was home alone with him we would practice, and he became an okay flier. But then his wings were chopped off again, and is so visible how much he hates being unable to fly. It is really sad to see. He is also kept on a Tiny playstand that he is unable to leave with clipped wings. He Will sit on that and do flight dance for minutes at a time.

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
My baby's real frustrated. I'm not sure if he was ever flighted, but he sees my other birds flying and keeps on trying to take off with them. I have to pick him up to get him up and down from his big boy perch, and I can tell that he wants to do it on his own. Krem squirms and fights and if I let him, he'll take off for it and miss because he falls like a rock. If I'm in bed on my phone, he climbs up onto me and tries to take off.

He's determined, stubborn and thinks he's independent, so it's very hard on him to cope with constantly needing help. There are days where he wants out of his cage, but doesn't want my help doing it. He refuses to just walk down the open door and hop onto the dresser, but tries to fly like all the other birds.

When I do try to catch him as he plummets, he does his darnedest to avoid my hands and land on the ground using what little lift he can get.