• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Titus needs toys

Phocyn

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
I need toy advice. I have a ball, a chew block, and foraging. Its not enough. What can he be given to play with???

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My cockatiel customers really like shreddable stuff like balsa, vine, sola, seagrass, mahogany, cork, etc. Usually when someone is looking for new toys for their tiels to try I recommend the following:

Lazy Monster Sampler
Lazy Monster main.jpg

Koopa
Koopa main.jpg

Buggy - Balsa and Sola Toy
Buggy main.jpg

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Definitely shreddy stuff. Mine also like the foam flowers/beads/shapes to rip apart.

This is a mat I made that was especially fun for the tiels. They like everything about it (including the mat). LOL

bird mat.jpg

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
PS my bird Tucker, for whom the now defunct Tucker's bird toy shop was named looked a lot like your cockatiel.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Yes, he definitely needs more toys hung around his cage. Best to offer a little of everything and then observe and see what he enjoys.
Something like that first toy that Mizzely posted is a great option because you can see it has a little piece of everything, and bite marks will tell you what he is playing with the most.
You can buy toys, DIY or both.

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
@Mizzely's toys are all great, lots of textures! Do cockatiels use their feet to hold things? If so definitely check out her foot toy grab bag, it's a good assortment.

Phocyn

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
He was supposed to come with his whole stash in his cage, etc. But he had a half chewed piece of something I couldn't identify. I ended up giving him a spare toy from my loves and keet. Playing the radio and started look into foraging toys. Thank goodness my flock is so social. My Inee already started the basis for new sounds... he loves the radio. I gave him a mirror to
train down the panic of oh crud bird attack. I've got this palm chain I got for the birds, can I use pieces of that?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
@Mizzely's toys are all great, lots of textures! Do cockatiels use their feet to hold things? If so definitely check out her foot toy grab bag, it's a good assortment.
Most tiels don't hold things with their feet. Some do but with my tiel Sunny it was rare and my foster has never done it so far.

I second toys with balsa. Also the finger trap toys. My foster likes things with beads.

Hjarta5

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
I dont have a tiel, but my quaker is a soft chewer so I get her balsa, mahogany pods, vine balls, and palm.

I also found that, for my budget, it was easier to get stainless steel skewers to hang in my birds' cages (because they also prefer something that hangs than holding foot toys) and refill it with various toy parts. Since I have two birds, the stronger chewer (my sennie) gets more pine but both love the balsa and mahogany.

For my toy part refills, I buy them in bulk from @calibird because shes a vendor on this site, but I think a lot of online parrot stores carry them too.

Good luck!

Phocyn

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
Hmmm. I'm looking at everything. Fo any of the local vendors do packs for a subscription? I have a lot of birds and toys have to fit type and need.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Phocyn

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
I'm going through all the options and will probably make a selection around the end of the month. I've got a few spare toys Tidus can use till then. Honestly, a low subscription I can do every few months will be ideal due to how I've got everything set.

Can someone tell me why he sounds like a boppit toy/squeeze toy for kids????

melissa68

Walking the driveway
Can someone tell me why he sounds like a boppit toy/squeeze toy for kids????
LOL! I have a baby who is just starting to find his voice, well besides the baby dinosaur noise he likes to do, and sounds exactly like a dog squeaky toy! He will only start squeaking if I'm not in the room...I wonder why that is? lol Anyway, when I hear his squeaking it just makes me smile so dang much. Flipping cute! I can't wait for the day he actually sings.