• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tips for Warming up Parakeet?

.blep.

Moving in
I've got a sweet 'keet who's been doing well through the seasons for the time I've had her, but due to the seemingly incessant storms passing through California as of late, it seems like she's never given a chance to really get warm. The windows in the room are always closed so cold air isn't making it into the cage, but obviously the house in general cools down each night. We have a heater in the hallway but it doesn't heat the room she's in very well. The cage is covered in blankets but still, the cage just isn't very warm. I tried getting a bird heater but they're only warm themselves, and she would never get close enough to it to actually feel the heat. I was considering getting a lamp with some kind of heating bulb (I was looking at an infrared since it seems it emits heat more than bright light) to give her a spot to warm up. Does anyone have any suggestions for a lamp and bulb? Or any other tips to warm her up?

Enjoy a photo of her on our way home from the vet. The light bouncing off her head looked like a cute little halo so I just had to take a picture lol
PXL_20240202_203135932.NIGHT.jpg

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Cute bird! What is the temperature of the room?

.blep.

Moving in
Cute bird! What is the temperature of the room?
It's about 77°F this afternoon, I think at it's lowest it's around 70°F. I'm under the impression that she feels cold temperatures worse than humans, since that's how she was back when it was super hot.

.blep.

Moving in
70 degrees is fine for a bird. Just make sure she's not in a draft.
I don't think she is. But are you sure? Each morning lately she's shivering and the cage does feel cold. Would it be detrimental to get her the light anyway? Just so she'd have the option to hang out under it?

.blep.

Moving in
I don't know if I can do a heated perch, she likes to bite on/chip away at her wooden ones and that only talks about a bite resistant cord and doesn't say what the perch itself is made of (though I may have accidentally overlooked that). I probably should've mentioned that in this original post, that's on me. I appreciate the suggestion, though! I take this as a recommendation against a light?

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
You can buy the bird heaters that bolt on the side of the cage. The wire is protected and they don't ever get super hot. We bought several when our flock got to 4 birds and they all like them. Dobby has a ceramic heater like they used for reptiles close to his favorite spot but I am going to put the heat panel that was Kiwis in his spot soon and retire the ceramic one.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I don't think she is. But are you sure? Each morning lately she's shivering and the cage does feel cold. Would it be detrimental to get her the light anyway? Just so she'd have the option to hang out under it?
According to people at the National Aviary, it can even go down to 58 degrees and they will be ok. I wouldn't be comfortable letting it get that cold but 70 should be fine. Is she by a window could she be getting a draft from the window?

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Nerd bird was ok down to the mid 50s at night but he was a Maxi Pionus and they're originally from the low mountain areas of South America I think. I finally put the reptile ceramic heater thing when he hit about 20 and some mornings he'd be cuddling close to it, others he'd be on the opposite side of the cage staying cool. Usually unplugged it during the summer.

.blep.

Moving in
You can buy the bird heaters that bolt on the side of the cage. The wire is protected and they don't ever get super hot. We bought several when our flock got to 4 birds and they all like them. Dobby has a ceramic heater like they used for reptiles close to his favorite spot but I am going to put the heat panel that was Kiwis in his spot soon and retire the ceramic one.
I did try buying one but the poor thing was terrified of it and wouldn't even go on that side of the cage :(

.blep.

Moving in
According to people at the National Aviary, it can even go down to 58 degrees and they will be ok. I wouldn't be comfortable letting it get that cold but 70 should be fine. Is she by a window could she be getting a draft from the window?
She's by a window, but it's always closed and there's three blankets on that side of the cage. Do you think it would still be affecting her somehow?

.blep.

Moving in
Nerd bird was ok down to the mid 50s at night but he was a Maxi Pionus and they're originally from the low mountain areas of South America I think. I finally put the reptile ceramic heater thing when he hit about 20 and some mornings he'd be cuddling close to it, others he'd be on the opposite side of the cage staying cool. Usually unplugged it during the summer.
Ceramic heater, that's the one that has a heat-emitting bulb? Something like that would work for her, then she wouldn't have to get close to something she's scared of if it's outside of the cage.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
We just switched to one of the bigger rectangular heaters that screw to the cage, Dobby isn't scared of it and doesn't get as hot. I was cleaning around his cage the other day and we have a rope perch to the floor. I didn't notice I had bumped it into the ceramic bulb and it was starting to burn the rope when we both smelled something burning. It had singed a spot on the rope but it was too thick to outright burn so if you do use one of those elements MAKE SURE nothing flammable is close by just in case :facepalm::eek:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
She's by a window, but it's always closed and there's three blankets on that side of the cage. Do you think it would still be affecting her somehow?
If you don't feel a draft, then it should be fine.

.blep.

Moving in
We just switched to one of the bigger rectangular heaters that screw to the cage, Dobby isn't scared of it and doesn't get as hot. I was cleaning around his cage the other day and we have a rope perch to the floor. I didn't notice I had bumped it into the ceramic bulb and it was starting to burn the rope when we both smelled something burning. It had singed a spot on the rope but it was too thick to outright burn so if you do use one of those elements MAKE SURE nothing flammable is close by just in case :facepalm::eek:
Super helpful, thank you! Yes, I would be sure to keep everything far away from it. Depending on how it turns on like if it has a switch or knob, I'll probably unplug it when it's not in use, juuuust to be safe.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
We did during the summer and was just about time to unplug it again but still some cold nights. The cage heater thing doesn't get hot enough to cause a fire, it was KiWi's till she left us recently as we bought several when we were given several parrots to care for. If you already have the ceramic heater make it work but if not the cage heater is much safer and Dobby usually sleeps right next to it unless he's too warm just like Nerd did with the old.

.blep.

Moving in
We did during the summer and was just about time to unplug it again but still some cold nights. The cage heater thing doesn't get hot enough to cause a fire, it was KiWi's till she left us recently as we bought several when we were given several parrots to care for. If you already have the ceramic heater make it work but if not the cage heater is much safer and Dobby usually sleeps right next to it unless he's too warm just like Nerd did with the old.
At some point I'd love to do a cage heater, but a ceramic heater would be a good start I think. Y'know, cause I don't want her to be scared of the heater but also being cold She's only really used to her food and water bowls and my hands. Even when I rotate the perches and toys in her cage, she has to remember that they're inanimate objects that aren't going to jump at her :/ and for new toys or perches it can take weeks for her to feel comfortable going up to them and I have no idea why, I just let her get used to things at her own speed. But with the ceramic heater she can at least stand in the light and be warm even if she's still be scared of the lamp itself.

orphansparrow

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
I use an oil heater like this one in the birds room:

It works perfectly and I have it set so that their temp never dips below 65. You could do higher if you want.