• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Timneh new cage help

TeresaG

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Hi Everyone! I'm new to this forum, but not new to birds. I am mommy to a soon to be 9 year old Timneh. He's been with me since right after he was hand reared. I adore him to pieces and he's my baby. He pretty much gets his way. He's out most of the time I'm home- I'd say 95% of time I'm home that I'm not sleeping. He very much likes to sleep in a cage, covered. It's how he sleeps the best. My question is I need to get him a new cage, and am willing to splurge. He loves to climb and currently has 1 inch vertical bars. My boyfriend adores him too, and he's moving in right now, in a year we'll be moving into a house we are building and Peeper will have his own room which is awesome. It's a large room, I think 14 ft by 10 ft, with an attached shower we can roll cage into to clean it. I'd like to get the new cage now so he can get used to it before we change his whole house on him.

Any suggestions for really nice, durable cage? I'm willing to splurge. I like the Hybrid cages at Custom Cages. I like the friendly feeder that swivels over the hand so baby sitters can feed him without getting zapped. He's generally nice, but likes to occasionally spook them a bit, I think for fun mostly. One thing I don't like is it comes in sides of 1 inch squares, which I'm afraid he'll hate (or maybe I will) because it'll be so bar filled. He really wouldn't like the acrylic as he climbs so much.

I should add he's fully flighted, likes different types of perch materials and toys, but usually not swings. he does like boings. He's not super messy, but does get dusty like all grey. And loves bathing in his water dish.

Thanks for reading and I appreciate any help/suggestions. I'm open to custom designing also.

HB05 Bird Cage 60"H x 60"L x 36"D H3

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I would look at Expandable Habitats. You can customize them to your liking. I have two of them that I bought second hand. The things that I like the most about them is that they are stainless steel and the pan is a durable plastic that is lightweight. They do slide out on the sides but are made so that you can put a butcher roll paper on one side and roll it through for easy cleaning and it is easy to clean. I have a really big door on the front of one of mine and a two door opening on the other one. The only thing I wish I had on both of them is two feeder doors that open up on each side so that I didn't have to reach in to get one of the bowls because I like to feed my guys both food and water on the same side. It's totally customizable (if that's a word). I've since gotten several other things from EH and they are really great to work with. You should check them out. The web site is: www.expandablehabitats.com

Oh, and welcome to AA! I have a Timneh too...he's spoiled rotten and was my first bird...he just turned 14 last December!:heart:

TeresaG

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Thank you so much for the info! I'll check it out right now. I agree, I like food and water on same side, and maybe a third one for snacks. I use butcher paper also.

Thanks for the recommendation!

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
You're welcome! I cannot say enough wonderful things about these cages! If I won the lottery, I would buy one for every birdie in the house!:)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA. Post some photos of your Timneh when you get a chance.

@jmfleish You are so lucky to find EH second hand and save some $$. Every time I check CL for cages they are overpriced garbage or overpriced nice powder coated cages where the sellers have lied about the original selling price. Never see EH or other ss cages for sale.

TeresaG

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Thank you so much and I agree very lucky to get great secondhand. I live so remote, there is zero chance I will get so lucky. Lol

nu2birds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kurt
So I have no personal experience with Custom Cages.........but in all my research of birds and cages and whatnot..........I have run across a lot of disappointing reviews and many complaints regarding Custom Cages. Seems like they arrive with parts missing, holes drilled in the wrong places, measurements incorrect. And then poor customer service when you call to try and rectify all these problems. So, I've not ever looked into their products myself, but have read others problems. The Parrot Wizard on Youtube ordered an outside Aviary from them and had all sorts of problems. I have heard good things about Expanding habitats. Personally I am a fan of Dome Top cages for large birds.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Welcome to AA. Post some photos of your Timneh when you get a chance.

@jmfleish You are so lucky to find EH second hand and save some $$. Every time I check CL for cages they are overpriced garbage or overpriced nice powder coated cages where the sellers have lied about the original selling price. Never see EH or other ss cages for sale.
Yep, I got really, really lucky! The first one was being sold right here in Madison and is a total dream! The second one we had to retrieve from GA and that was a haul but it was worth it. It's got the bigger bar spacing which doesn't really fit any of my birds but I have Clancy in it and he's a really careful bird and bigger for a grey so he's good. I'd prefer the 1" spacing for him but it works. I'd love to get another one for the pink vampires but after all the money we're going to have to shell out for Amarillo, I think my spending days are done and over with! LOL!

KimKim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I love my Expandable Habitats cage too. I got the "small" cage for my Grey since he falls from his perches sometimes :wacky:. Sooo easy to clean with the paper system. This is not the best pic but I must have deleted the others I have of it..
IMG_9462.JPG

TeresaG

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Thanks for those responses. I had heard an inkling there were some issues with that company so thats great feedback to have. I'd be very annoyed if I spent that much and had that kind of result. KimKim that cage is very nice set up. He;s used to having a ton of space, he's active and super gymnast so maybe the bigger size would really work great.