• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Time to meet Riven

Status
Not open for further replies.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I will try again in the morning :)
Maybe some gloves are in order. That's what I did in the beginning until we got past it. Now he will occasionally beak me, but not bite down like he did. Oh it hurt, and it was lightning fast! I have no clue if he ground in, I just know it hurt worse than any other bird that has bitten me, and I've been bitten by macaws and conures.:eek:
I did make a decision while the bird groomer was here the other day. From now on, he gets placed into a carrier cage before they get here. Chasing him around and trying to get him after he shot out of the cage like a rocket was very stressful for him. No more of that. And that big jolly ball in his cage makes it impossible to get him in there. I do not like him being chased in any fashion anyway. Kismet also got out from their capture, so he too will be going into a smaller cage before they arrive. That could have been a disaster.:(

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ive had worse bites so Im sure she didnt give me the worst she could. Still, it was enough to cause it to throb, lol. Its okay, all a part of having a bird ;) I first thought about using gloves but didnt want to freak her out. her previous owner did though. I think next time I will see what she thinks. She doesnt mind the towel at all, when Ive had to get her out to check her over (weight and such) she was very good about it and wasnt upset by being toweled. Maybe she wont mind the gloves. I probably wont mess with her too much but it would be nice to be able to have her step up for weight checks and give her some more out of cage time at least.

I bet that was stressful for yu and the birds :( Going into a carrier before the groomer gets there is an excellent idea.Hawkheads do seem to be especially sensitive to any perceived chase so that would be a great way to avoid it. They sure are fast when they want to get away. Catching Ringo has presented some challenges for the same reason. We've got it worked out better now but boy he can bolt out the cage door in a flash. He has also figured out how to escape through the feeder doors if th e dish isnt in there, so always have to be sure to have something in its place while the food/water is changed. Little stinker! I wouldnt care but for the fact catching him is just no fun for either of us.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Hey Jill. I love your add on siggy :D

I noticed with Ringo's eye ring.. is that blue... is that normal? He looks like a bareeyed cockatoo ;)

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
More an artifact of the pic taken with flash :) Ringo's eyerings are black and Riven's are a really light gray, almost white looking :)

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Thats interesting Jill. Will his eyes lighten with improved diet? Or do sexually mature become dimorphic?

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think it is more of an individual thing. I used to think that they all became darker with age (with yellow eyes), but it seems that isnt the case. Riven's eyes look like a baby - very dark with light skin - if it wasnt for the fact she was banded (and AFA says the band was sold in the mid-90's) I would really question her age. I know of other females that have eyes & eye rings more like Ringo's. Cassius (at age 3 in April) has eye rings like Riven but his eyes are much lighter, more of a yellow-ish gray.

hawkygal

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Hmm, our guys tail feathers recently started to have some missing barb gaps too. But he plays real ruff with some of his hanging toys and stuffs his tail and wings thru the bars of his cage all the time while he's playing (he just gets so into what he is attacking he doesn't care about whats in the way i guess). Plus he had just started molting so we weren't sure if he's just waiting for new ones (He just had his 1st birthday).

Maybe some of the flight feather damage on Riven is from ruff playing or from not being regularly bathed in her old home?

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cassius used to bust up his tail the same way :) He still plays rough but doesnt seem to break it up anymore. I am really happy about that :D

With Riven Im afraid she is doing it herself :( I have seen feather "hairs" on her cage papers. Also I think for the location (the upper part of her flights) that she has to be doing that herself. Really stinks. I know you cant always stop it once they start but I am hoping I can provide enough enrichment that she will forget about it.

On a good note, this morning I went to weigh her again. Put a towel over my hand and she stepped right up. Took her to the scale and she stepped onto the T-perch and was a perfect little lady about it. Not bad for a bird that hadn't been handled (according to her previous owner) in quite some time. She weighed in at 261 grams. Im totally shocked by that as visually she looks smaller than Cash and he weighs about the same. Crazy!

Last edited:

jylu97

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Liz
Sounds like Riven is pretty smart, as well as confident!

Status
Not open for further replies.