• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Thumpers first vet visit

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Well it started out as a trip to buy more Kaytee Exact, but I went the extra 20k on the motorway, Thumper climbing all over my back and arms as I drove. ( Motion sickness - whats that Papa?).

Arrived at vet's. Huge farm in the countryside. Several large receptions. Found the birdie entrance.
Like a major advertising firm. Cool calm pastel interior. High valuted roof. Nuclear powered air conditioning. Staff at huge desk behind even bigger Apple screens.

Can I help you?. Yes, well, er I was , um, er, passing by and wondered if the Doctor ( De Beer, most famous avain vet in the country) would sex the baby for me?

We'll try to fit you in. Take a seat please.

The seating is in a huge white room. One woman waiting, beautifully dressed, lovely perfume, African Grey in expensively crafted 'Natural' travelling cage.

Huge shiny beautiful pictures of birds on the walls. One stand of bird toys. Small display of bird foods at the end - Natures Nest. Looks interesting, not expensive either.

I'm about to bring some to the till/reception when I see the signs. You may not purchase bird food without a script from the doctor. WTH?

I ask the assistant vet (behind one of the massive white APPLE screens) , she says, friendly but firm "Your birds nutrition needs will be identified by the Doctor, who will select the mix which is right for your baby". Then you may purchase!. That's ME put in my place.

Back to waiting. Thumper plays all over my clothes and reads magazines intently for what seems like hours, while I wait for the inevitable poop. I wonder what Miss Apple Screen will say if he leaves a mess on the floor.?. No problem she says, we have all the wipes we need. I dont argue, she reminds me of Nurse Ratchett!

Finally in to see the Doc. Mature, very friendly and smiley. I say is ten weeks too young for sexing, not at all says Doc, provided baby is 60% feathered.

And then out comes the gas, Drat, i forgot the gas, as Thumper lays flat out ( high as a kite no doubt) I say to the doc, " Its the green legs which makes him so valuable - Hint Hint".

Doc ignores Panicking Parent, takes blood sample(s) from under wing. I pretend to be VERY interested in House and Home magazine. Ten seconds later "Its a boy", obviously done surgically. The bloodwork is for Thumpers new file - probably stored on the MASSIVE WHITE APPLE.

Then Doc says, ( and remember this guy has seen, sexed, and bred, THOUSANDS of birds) - "Hes a lovely little guy, isnt he?. And a strong bird. Are you keeping him?"

WHAT? Did the vet just make a pass at my Thumper?. Another cult member? LOL

Thumper comes round from the gas in seconds, and supervised my driving all the way home.

The poop came finally when he was placed on my dinner table LOL

Hibiscus 011.jpg

Last edited:

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That story had me :nervous:

But I'm glad :storkb: Because I felt that way :giggle:

And it's funny the vet made a pass at your Thumper :swoon:

I love your stories :smileflower:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Face it, we've all made passes @ Thumper, JP is just lucky that none of us live really close to him otherwise ..... :angel4:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
He always seemed like a boy. I guess I stupidly didn't realize we didn't know he was a boy yet. Congrats on your baby boy! :)

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
He always seemed like a boy. I guess I stupidly didn't realize we didn't know he was a boy yet. Congrats on your baby boy! :)
Not stupidly - I've found that there are times when we look at a fid and just figure the fid is a :storkb: or a :storkg: AND they turn out be just that! Like you, I figured Thumper was a boy, there was just something about him. :bbundies:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
love Thumper!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Yay. Thumper Fuzz-butt is a boy. I would make a pass at him too if I bwahahaha close. :wink2::kiss2:

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Hi Lisa, the baby is great but there's been some upheavals in my plans
Work contracts very hard to find here so I may be going UK side for a while to stabilise finances.

I took a break after Xmas to stabilise my health. Mystery virus eating my energy. Took a while, and some expensive tests to track it down, but now I need to get back into the work arena.

Local avairy owner will stand in for me and look after the babies at his place while im gone.

If nothing turns up in the next few weeks, Ill be in London UK by end March

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Hi Lisa, the baby is great but there's been some upheavals in my plans
Work contracts very hard to find here so I may be going UK side for a while to stabilise finances.

I took a break after Xmas to stabilise my health. Mystery virus eating my energy. Took a while, and some expensive tests to track it down, but now I need to get back into the work arena.

Local avairy owner will stand in for me and look after the babies at his place while im gone.

If nothing turns up in the next few weeks, Ill be in London UK by end March

Glad everybirdie is doing well. Sending good thoughts and hoping something turns up locally very soon.

VictoriaVague

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
Hoping something shows up soon