• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Thoughts on repticon?

alshgs

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
We have decided on a reptile for my son, and we're planning on taking him to repticon next month. Thoughts on what types of reptiles we should look at?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
:bump8:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
We have decided on a reptile for my son
What were the deciding factors for that?
we're planning on taking him to repticon next month
Just another bird/exotic pet mart. A great place to catch and spread disease and see stressed out animals in small cages sold like furniture.

Bird Marts. Single greatest threat to Avian Health

Thoughts on what types of reptiles we should look at?
Ones that you have researched so you understand what they need and what you will need to provide. Not what some "salesman" is going to pitch to you about how "this" reptile is just right for you.

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
Thanks for the reply John! He's wanted a reptile for a while. We use to have snakes and bearded dragons but once they passed we just didn't adopt any more. He's not sure what reptile he wants, so that's why we had decided on repticon so he can get an idea of what all is out there and then we can do the research necessary to find what he's interested in. I wasn't aware that repticon had birds, I thought it was strictly reptiles?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Thanks for the reply John! He's wanted a reptile for a while. We use to have snakes and bearded dragons but once they passed we just didn't adopt any more. He's not sure what reptile he wants, so that's why we had decided on repticon so he can get an idea of what all is out there and then we can do the research necessary to find what he's interested in. I wasn't aware that repticon had birds, I thought it was strictly reptiles?
"Reptile and Exotic pet convention" covers a lot of animals.

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
Crap. I just read up on the vendors that will be there. Thank you so much for letting me know, otherwise I could have brought home god knows what to my birds! We will not be going this year. I had no idea they had exotics until I read the website more. Several avian vendors will be there

animallover9

Walking the driveway
If you are looking for a reptile for a kid the best options would be Leopard Geckos, Bearded Dragons, Ball Pythons, Crested Geckos, and Corn Snakes. Russian Tortoises are okay but better for older kids. All these would need some adult assistance as far as heating and lighting requirements go along with food needs for a majority of them (depending on the kid)