• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

thinking of hahns macaw but

teresa A Vigil

Moving in
Real Name
teresa vigil
we have a goffin rescue , and he is i velieve 1-2 years old and doesnt produce a lot of the dander powder, would it be safe enough or a no go, i read some replies and i am not sure. We currently have a gcc and two cocktiels and 8 budgies also, we just love birds. They are all my children, so keeping the, safe is apriorty. any info would help thank you. teresa

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Personally I would never house a cockatoo/ Cockatiel / African Grey in the same house as a macaw/pionus/Jardines.

Imagine this. Everything is fine for 5, 10, years and then suddenly your baby gets sick and dies. Your vet says it was respiratory distress caused by powder down birds. How do you feel? Are you okay taking that risk?

I couldn't be.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Please keep an eye on your conure as well. Conures are cousins to macaws and May also succumb to powder down, especially with so many dusty birds sharing the same space

Robin8888

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Robin
I have my cockatiel right next to my pionus (they are best friends) & sun conure for over 18 years with no issues.
I don't know about cockatoos or AG's as to how bad the dander is
I also have 3 Hahn's no issues with them either.

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have a mac and a pionus in the same house as FOUR dusty birds, and honestly I kind of hate myself for it. I go to extremes to keep them all safe, but just the risk is terrifying.

teresa A Vigil

Moving in
Real Name
teresa vigil
big bird (goffin) doesn't have dust, maybe when he gets older so i was shocked to find this out. we have a hepa filter on our house and he like tobe in out tv room and we have like a circle house and another den where the other birds are, but dragon, gcc, shoulder surfs on all of us all day, def not near goffin, dragon is a bully, it woukd terroize big bird to have them close. all my birds are free flight and pretty happy as we are with them. thank you, i wanted one so bad(hahns) but it aint gonna happen. rescue grey is in the cards instead.thanks again. t

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I have my cockatiel right next to my pionus (they are best friends) & sun conure for over 18 years with no issues.
I don't know about cockatoos or AG's as to how bad the dander is
I also have 3 Hahn's no issues with them either.

It is important to realize that you won't have any warnings until the disease has advanced to a point where the birds' respiratory system is compromised. There are birds that are not effected and others who die quickly and none of them have a sign tattooed on their forehead which they are. It has happened to four members' birds that were members of AA.

Cockatoos and AG's have the very worst dander.

lexalayne

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
My toos are in a separate room (separate heat and air) from my macaws.

MisfitHouse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
ToriB
I'm glad this was posted. I was considering a Severe Macaw but we have 2 very dusty CAGs. What about Senegals and Caiques mixing with dusty birds? Senegals are from Africa too but not dusty that I have noticed. I think caiques are from South America? Which is Old World anyway? For the life of me I have never found the definition between the two... thanks