• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Thinking of adopting these...opinions?

MissingMango

Walking the driveway
Hi everyone! I have been doing research and wanting to get a bird again for a while now. I have decided on a parrotlet! I had a breeder picked out and was getting ready to email them today, then saw this on FB...

Parrotlet pair- female 4 months old,male 3 months old.Cage,toys,food $100
Very cute but the cat won't leave them alone.So they got to go.

So of course I messaged her immediately since she is only an hour and a half away. I asked where they came from, if they were handfed/tame.

Her reply: Hello,they were handfed and are tame but I haven't been able to handle them for about 2 weeks because it's hard letting them out cause our cat is after them.Thats why I'm rehoming them.I got them from a breeder.

What do you guys think? Would I have a chance at taming them if they are already bonded? If I do get them what would the best approach be? Keep them together? Separate them for handling and keep cages side by side? I do have my own cage also, and was looking for a bigger flight cage, so could go either way really. Just not sure if this is a good idea or what?

PS- gonna have to figure out how to upload the pic, but it is a yellow male and white female :)

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Awe cute. I am always one to encourage rehomes

MissingMango

Walking the driveway
I agree, and would love to give them a home, but I am worried that they may be very hard to re-tame. Does any one have any experience with parrotlets that haven't been handled in a while and are paired up?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Considering how young they are (only a few months old), they might be pretty easy to handle.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
If nothing else, visit them and see.

MissingMango

Walking the driveway
OK thanks for all the replies! I am going to see if she will allow a visit, and if so when since she is almost 2 hours away. :)

Joseph012

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Since they are young, they aren't bonded. Also, if they came from the same breeder they might be related anyway. If you put them in separate cages and give each one personal attention, I don't think you'd have a problem taming them. It will not be overnight success and P'letts are a little feisty by nature, so keep that in mind. If you're patient and consistent you will have 2 wonderful little pets in no time!

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
They are way cute and I agree that you have their young age and the fact that they were hand fed and handled early on going for them.

pinkdagger

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Michelle
So adorable.

I would argue you can tame practically any bird at any age regardless of whether they're bonded or how they were raised. Sometimes bonded birds will work against you because they'll seek same-species company instead of human, but sometimes (in my case, too) one of the birds will be a bit more courageous and be an example to the shyer of the two. They'll be the first to step up, to take food from you, etc. and the other will follow. Either way, it just takes time, patience, and dedication. Others are right though - that they were pretty tame for their current owner as recently as two weeks ago, and that they were hand fed is a bonus.

MissingMango

Walking the driveway
Well they sold before I could get out to meet them...hope they found an awesome home!

Good news though, one breeder I emailed referred me to her friend that has some babies that are btw 4-6 weeks, so I am waiting to hear back from her soon :)