• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

they bite you out of revenge???

joojoobeans

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
joojoobeans
He flew to my shoulder and I slapped him away because I was doing something then a few seconds later he flew back and bit my neck???????

Beanurita

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Melissa
I would expect nothing less of my birds if I "slapped" them off of me.....

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
If you watch a flock of birds interacting, you see aggression is met with aggression and social interactions with interaction. Whatever you give, you will get.

When they land on me and I am busy, I say hello and go back to what I am doing; they invariably fly away, seeing I am not in the mood for interaction at that time.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
When they land on me and I am busy, I say hello and go back to what I am doing; they invariably fly away, seeing I am not in the mood for interaction at that time.
I do almost the same. I give Eloy a little bit attention and then nicely put him on the nearest stand and tell him he is a very good boy.
Sometimes he come back and we do it all over again, but never in a million years I will slapped him of my shoulder.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
Please don't slap your bird. How would you feel if you were that size (tiny) and something your size (giant in comparison) slapped you? I'd bite the snot out of the giant, personally.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
I usually just drop my shoulder and Lurch will start to slip and fly away. Many times I'll say go home and after he lands on his favorite spot tell him he's a good boy.
The worst I'll do is push him away when he's being to downright aggressive. They do mirror your mood so if your mad, they get mad and it escalates from there.
Pretty sure Lurch was at least hit or swatted at and sometimes he still flinches if I raise a hand, very sad.

Yoshi&Reza

Real Name
Alyssa
I hope you meant just "shooing" him away in a calm way and not making contact with him.

Even then, that can still turn out to be more negative than positive. With parrotlets they are very tiny and fragile. I know they don't act as if they are! But the last thing you want to do is put him in the position to possibly get hurt.

I have had Yoshi for a few years now and with time you learn each other. If he lands somewhere that isn't ideal at the moment I will make a small movement with my fingers as if shooing him away and I tell him to scoot... (habit with the dogs). He pretty much gets what it means now and will fly off or move. But I never make a quick or forceful gesture and never in an irritated way and most importantly never make contact with his body!!!

Jeddy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
Bodie my male pacific parrotlet will bite me on the neck. He does this sometime but I have never slapped my bird. Never ever would. He bites I believe because even at 17 he is hormonal off and on so I guess I am an easy target. I gently pick him up and set him down and try to make him busy doing something else. There have been times when he gets a little " time out" if he keeps up the biting and aggressiveness.