• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The Scare of my Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

falsk

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
I haven't been around in a while and I wanted to write a more detailed, bird-themed post but I had the scare of my life today and I know only animal lovers will understand just how terrifying it was...

I started a new position at my job at the TV studio and have been working all sorts of hours so I've been pretty sleepy/forgetful lately. Friday night I was helping my mom bring all the outdoor plants in for the winter, hurried on by the warning of snow coming this weekend. We had left the door propped open so we could carry in all the big ficus and I saw my cat (who is an indoor cat) trying to get out. The few times Stormy does go outside, she explores the front of the yard and immediately comes right back, meowing outside the door within a few minutes. I told my mom we'd worry about her after we got the plants in, she'd be fine...

Cut to this morning, my sister came to me saying she hadn't seen the cat in a while and it just hit me like a punch in the face--we had forgotten to bring her back in. For the past 36 hours she had been outside. All yesterday as I sat inside with my bird, making her toys and redoing her play stand as it rained/hailed/sleeted/snowed my poor indoor cat had been outside in the freezing cold. My mom, sister, dad, boyfriend and I ran outside and began frantically searching and calling for her. I was sobbing, my mom was sobbing. I felt terrible--it was completely my fault and the thought of my poor cat alone outside... especially so close to Mischief Night. I knew for sure I would find a cold, frozen body... I just couldn't bear it...

And then I heard my dad calling, "I found her!" and there she was, down by the garden shed which she must have taken shelter under during the storm. She was a little wild-eyed, but none the worse for wear. We brought her in, all of us hugging her and rubbing her cold ears. We fed her and gave her water and she acted like nothing was wrong... but my God... I can't even explain the relief. Just that overwhelming sense of guilt and responsibility ... lesson learned, for sure. Go and hug your kitty/ies, guys... that's all I can say. And don't be stupid like me... :( I'm just so thankful how lucky I was...

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
So glad all turned out OK! What a scare.

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
:hug8:So glad that Stormy is safe again.

PeaceLoveDreamer

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jacqui
I am so happy you found her and she is safe. I know what those times can feel like... they're the worst. Just glad she is safe and healthy!

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
I'm so glad she is ok. How scary.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
how scary..so glad you found her...nail that cat door shut and keep her in!!!!!!

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So happy you found her safe Laura.:hug8:

QP4CAG

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lindsay
Mistakes happen! Your human. Don't beat yourself up over it! The important thing is, you found her, she's okay and outta harms way! Lesson learned:hug8:

falsk

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
Thanks guys. I'm just so glad my story has a happy ending. :')

Status
Not open for further replies.