• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

The power of prayer

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerseybella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
dawn
We need all the prayers we can get...Im not sure I am posting this in the right place but I have a very sick CAG.

He started to vomit yesterday morning. Poops not right. We went to the vet. They took blood work gave him fluids cause he was dehydrated. They did all sorts of tests..Waiting for results. They thinkits the kidneys...Maybe kidney failure. They let us take him home with meds cause he wasnt as dehydrated as they thought but he has not eaten anything. He has not vomited either so that is good. I am waiting for the vet to call. He may have to go back for more fluids. I just dont know and am so scared. I can not stop crying...Please pray for bob

MollyMouse

Prayers on the way for Bob. Dawn I'm so sorry :hug5: I hope some more experienced AA members will be able to give you some advice soon.:hug8:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
prayers and healing energies on the way for Bob :hug8:

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Prayers and good thoughts coming!

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Oh no, I'm so sorry, Dawn. I hope they find out what's wrong very quickly. Saying prayers for Bob. :hug5:

Brigidt36

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Oh Dawn, how scary. Sending healing prayers and positive energy to you and Bob.

birdlady

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie

Redbird

Meeting neighbors
Sorry your bird is not doing well.

From the limited information you have posted it is premature to diagnose your bird having organ failure. Did your avian vet mention the possibility of a fungal or bacterial infection, toxins, or obstruction in the crop or digestive tract? Radiology along with the cytology and CBC chemistries should be done to rule out any obstruction? Ask your vet about supportive care for your bird, heat, hydration, hand feeding, etc.

jerseybella

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
dawn
Thanks Leslie:heart: He is on ciproflaoxin and fluconazole.
I am keeping him warm. He just ate a few peas so thats good. They flushed his crop a few times to make sure no blockage. We did not go to Rothman...We went to Kupersmith and saw Dr Dazen. I decided to try a new vet after bears last visit.:( Still waiting to hear. Hope it is not as bad as they suggested it could be.

Oh no Dawn....I had no idea. Is there anything I can do to help? Did you take him to Rothman...if so , who did you see? What meds is he taking?

Keep him warm and quiet...I will keep Bob in my prayers...

I found this link with a lot of information...

Chronic or Acute Renal Failure, Kidney Failure, Renal Insufficiency, Renal Disease: Causes, Symptoms and Treatment Options as well as Prevention

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Oh dear, I’m so sorry Bob is not feeling well, I hope that it isn’t what they think it might be and that he will be back to his old self soon - I will be keeping him in my prayers and thoughts! :hug8:Please keep us updated.

birdlady

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Oh ok, Dawn, Dr. Dazen is supposed to be good.:)

birdlady

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
One thing at a time...you have so much going on right now. :hug8:

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Couple of ideas for you...first, are you keeping him warm? The air temp needs to be at least 85º at all times around him....and quiet so he is not spending his energy trying to look OK around other birds...I always remove a sick bird from the flock to help them feel secure/relaxed to heal..
Do you have any non processed Apple Cider Vinager to add to his water? Braggs is a good brand....This will help inside his body:
Apple Cider Vinegar for Birds by Alicia McWatters

And can you find Dandelion greens to feed to him?
"Dandelion is a member of the sunflower family. The leaves have irregular and jagged edges and a yellow flower grows from the hollow stem in the center of the rosette of leaves. The leaves have a rich and slightly bitter flavor. They should be harvested only from pesticide free areas when the tender young leaves are less than six inches long. Recent research has shown the dandelion to be nature's richest vegetable source of cancer-fighting beta-carotene. Dandelion greens are richer in potassium than bananas, and the flowers are richer in lecithin than soybeans. Dandelions contain many trace minerals. Commercial growing of dandelion greens is a ten million-dollar annual business so parrot owners should be able to find them in many stores. Many birds enjoy the yellow dandelion flowers as well as the greens. Both are excellent sources of vitamin A, calcium, and other nutrients. Medicinal benefits: Useful as a digestive stimulant and as a treatment for gout, skin problems, and liver disorders."
Taken from:
Winged Wisdom Pet Bird Magazine - Kitchen Physician XIII - Greening Of The Parrot Diet
Keeping Good Healing thoughts for Bob and Calming Energy for you....this is very important to stay calm around your bird during this sick time...:hug8:

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Oh no, prayers for Bob, and sending lots of vibes for healing.
Good advice about the Dandelion greens, BF.

Kathie

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
Do you have any non processed Apple Cider Vinager to add to his water? Braggs is a good brand....This will help inside his body:
Apple Cider Vinegar for Birds by Alicia McWatters
Billie Faye - Not to debate, but the Apple Cider Vinegar may contraindicate the meds and deem them ineffective. Do you agree?

I do know that Aloe Vera Detoxifying Formula cleanses the kidneys, should it be that, and is not harmful either way. It also would not affect the medications/antibiotics. Wheatgrass and milk thistle are also excellent for kidney issues.

Let me know what you think.

Last, but certainly not least, I hope Bob will turn around quickly. Usually 3 days on medication will let you know if it is working. Lots of prayers going Bob's way.

Last edited:

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Kathie understand what you are saying about ACV. Good point! and checking with the vet would be appropriate to make sure it wouldn't be in conflict with meds.....
Wheatgrass is GREAT also...

Kathie

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
Thanks, Billie!

I also want to mention, since I have the opportunity, that oftentimes people use GSE (Grapefruit Seed Extract) in their water. When administering medications, the GSE should immediately be stopped.

Sadly, most vets are not into natural or holistic measures. They prefer medications. That's for an entirely different thread though (makes my blood boil!).

Kathie

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
One additional question... did they take blood or do any testing before you started with the antbiotic/antifungal? The combo they gave you is more geared toward a bacterial infection and/or yeast infection.The way it works is that the Cipro will combat the infection and the antifungal (Fluconazole) combats a yeast infection that can occur as a result of the antibiotic. (Kinda like when females take antibiotics - they usually end up with a yeast infection since the antibiotics rid the body of the good flora).

Let's hope the vomiting is a yeast infection. Usually yeast will cause vomiting. Do his droppings have a funny odor?

birdlady

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Good advice everyone....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.