• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The perils of befriending wildlife

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I've had this routine every morning, for the last year or so, where I do a special whistle call to my sparrow friends and then I throw two small handfulls of bird seed onto the ground. I only feed them 2 handfuls a day and I throw it on the ground because I want them to eat it all right away so as not to attracts rodents and more squirrels.

It warms my heart so much because now that they know me (and my car) they immediately fly over from wherever they are and they swoop down waiting for their goodies.

Most of the time they come after I whistle but sometimes if they see me pull up into the driveway or walking out of my front door they also swoop over too. It is soooo cute!

Well that happened today. They came earlier than I usually feed them, even though I didn't feed them, because they saw me get out of my car. Then all of a sudden I saw a perigrine falcon fly over. I think the sparrows don't even pay attention to danger cause they look forward to their free seeds so much! :nervous:

I don't know if the falcon already had a meal or what because it didn't even go after the sparrows but it scared me because I don't want to be the reason for the sparrows to be an easy meal.

I understand birds of prey need to eat too but I don't want to see it or help it. It almost makes me not want to feed the sparrows anymore but I love how they've gotten so friendly with me. They almost feel like outdoor pet birds.

Oh and...when all this was happening I looked up on the telephone pole and a crow was looking down at me. I have started trying to befriend them too. Then the crow started alarm calling and the whole flock of them (3) flew away together.

Do Falcons eat crows too? If I were to ever see a crow taken by a falcon my heart would break even more.

Is this just the unfortunate reality of feeding wild birds or is there a way to discourage birds of prey from having a smorgasbord in your yard?

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Crows and blue jays will congregate and "out" a predator by sitting the in the same tree the predator's in and announcing to the whole world (and then some) that there's a hawk in the area. Consider throwing the seed under your car in the future - the sparrows will fit without a problem though I think a falcon might hesitate to go into a small space. Most predators prefer an easy meal and they do get hit by cars which might deter them from going under your car for a sparrow eating seed.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Crows and blue jays will congregate and "out" a predator by sitting the in the same tree the predator's in and announcing to the whole world (and then some) that there's a hawk in the area. Consider throwing the seed under your car in the future - the sparrows will fit without a problem though I think a falcon might hesitate to go into a small space. Most predators prefer an easy meal and they do get hit by cars which might deter them from going under your car for a sparrow eating seed.
Thanks, Sandra! I guess I'm going to have to tweak their feeding time a little bit then because I always throw the seed just as I'm leaving for work. So my car is not there when they eat. I will have to make myself remember to come out and feed them before I leave for the day.

That's a great idea, thank you!!!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I know that hawks and owls will eat crows, so maybe falcons do too. But crows definitely like to announce to the world that they see the predator because they will mob them if they can get a big enough group together. They will fly away if not enough answer the call, is my understanding.

As for the rest of it, there is always the danger of "helping" the predator as much as they prey when we feed. That's true regardless if you just have a feeder outside or are actively involved.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I know that hawks and owls will eat crows, so maybe falcons do too. But crows definitely like to announce to the world that they see the predator because they will mob them if they can get a big enough group together. They will fly away if not enough answer the call, is my understanding.

As for the rest of it, there is always the danger of "helping" the predator as much as they prey when we feed. That's true regardless if you just have a feeder outside or are actively involved.
That's so interesting about the crows mobbing if they have enough of an army. At first I was taken back by how the crow just stayed perched there while the falcon was flying so close by. I guess that's when it was contemplating if they had enough backup or not. :idea:

Last edited:

Barbara jasko

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Barbara
Toss the seed under cover. Hedges, bushes, big trees. I put out peanuts every morning for my bluejays, cardinals and of course squirrels but I put them on the tree branches. They know where I put them and start calling the minute they see me leave my apartment. Everyone is waiting.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
The jays (and squirrels) are smart - I have a peanut ring which is out on a feeder pole in the middle of the back garden. Whenever I refill it I make a tongue clucking noise and the jays know peanuts are up. I make the same noise if I throw a handful of peanuts out under the crab apple tree and the squirrels (especially the moms) come running. We also have bunnies and chipmunks that come for the old seed and fresh seed in the feeders.

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Birds of prey will eat crows too. Peregrines usually like to take things on wing. A kestrel or coopers hawk will gladly snatch a sparrow on the ground eating seed though. Any time you deal with prey, you will likely deal with predators. Its hard being a hawk. They tend to live fast and die that way too. You probably are putting those sparrows at risk by feeding them on the ground in any type of open area. Coopers hawks are probably the biggest concern. They tend to be more active morning and evening so mid-day might be a better time of day to feed. Though no guarantees. If the sparrows are tame enough, you can hang out next to them when you feed them and most likely a coopers hawk won't be brave enough to snatch one with you standing there. But, they could sit in a tree and wait for the sparrows to finish and disperse. They are smart and learn the patterns of the prey. Personally, I'd enjoy attracting both predator and prey. If you don't like the realities of predation, don't attract the prey.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Our Coopers are as brazen as they are smart. They'll hide in the big trees around the house with the sun behind them so they're practically invisible (unless the jays "out" them). But they'll land on the deck railing and watch and listen to the lilac bushes and have jumped down to the ground to investigate. Ours are out hunting during the day, maybe it's because the area is fairly quiet and we have the high power tension corridor across the street behind the houses? I know the red tails will sit at the very top of the towers and get a bird's eye view of the whole area.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Thanks very much, everyone! I've been throwing the seed under the car, two hours before I leave, for the past three days. I know it doesn't guarantee their safety but hopefully it helps. :fingerscrossed:

LaSelva

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
David
Aren't sparrows invasive in the US. Don't know but I feel for the predators....humans kill mice, we kill snakes, yet we feed and allow invasive species to overpopulate. When predators like foxes, coyotes, or even native BOP kill to eat, we demonize them. :(

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Aren't sparrows invasive in the US. Don't know but I feel for the predators....humans kill mice, we kill snakes, yet we feed and allow invasive species to overpopulate. When predators like foxes, coyotes, or even native BOP kill to eat, we demonize them. :(
Are they invasive? I read that their population is declining?

Why is the House Sparrow Population Decreasing?

LaSelva

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
David
I'll read the article but I heard that in the United States they were introduced into Central Park and spread from there. And I've also read that they're displacing native songbirds in the United States. I can fact check further when I have a chance. But if they are in fact introduced into United States then their populations cannot get small enough... as per the definition of invasive species.

I mentioned native birds of prey and I think that it's part of a bigger picture because we are displacing a lot of native predators by developing land, introducing domestic animals that compete with them like cats, which also contribute largely to the deaths of native songbirds. It seems that the birds of prey that are praying upon the birds you enjoy feeding are simply making the best out of decreasing opportunities to feed themselves.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Yes, sparrows are invasive and, yes, I do set kill traps for mice inside the house. I don't and never have killed snakes - they help with vermin plus I like them. As for the 4 legged predators, the local park districts as well as villages have signs posted in marshland and wild life areas advising that coyotes have been seen. The same villages have warnings posted on their FB sites.

I feel sorry for the small dogs/cats that are let out at dusk or dawn without the owner present or dog leashed. The pet dog owners get upset but in the long run they have only themselves to blame.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I understand what you're saying, LaSelva, and I feel bad for the predators too but I just don't want to see it. It disturbs me for days seeing a little bird carried away and killed.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
We all have to eat. I don't like seeing animals killed by other animals, but it is nature. The sparrows have probably come to rely on your feeding them though.

Last year some birds made a nest in a wreath on my parents' front door. They had one baby bird they were raising in the nest. One day my parents heard a lot of commotion and went out to investigate. A snake had climbed up there and eaten the baby bird. My dad went and got a shovel and killed the snake. When my mom told me about it I just said, "Well, that was stupid." I guess my mom thought I would be more upset about the bird, but I said, "You didn't prevent the bird from being eaten. It was already dead, so you just killed the snake because you don't like snakes and were mad at it. It was hungry, too. So both animals died."

I'm not a vegetarian myself, and I do have a choice. Obligate carnivores have no choices in what they need to eat.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Are they invasive? I read that their population is declining?

Why is the House Sparrow Population Decreasing?
They are invasive here in the united states and compete with native species for food and resources. As are starlings and eurasian collard doves which look like pumped up mourning doves. One of the reasons I don't mind seeing cooper's hawks and kestrels in town is because they help keep the numbers in check to a limited degree. Natures response to increased prey population is to increase predators. Its probably also one of the reasons that cooper's hawks in particular are having an increase in their urban population. People attract invasives.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I understand what you're saying, LaSelva, and I feel bad for the predators too but I just don't want to see it. It disturbs me for days seeing a little bird carried away and killed.
Does it disturb you to see a sparrow eat a moth? House sparrows come down in droves and compete with robins and blackbirds to catch the moths and insects I disturb when I mow the lawn. Nature does not distinguish between moth or sparrow as a food source to something higher on the food chain. There was a niche available and a predator filled it. To support the sparrow but not the hawk is to deny that all depend on the death of something for food to one extent or another.