• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The Mystery Continues...

Alien J

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
TD is almost four months old now, so hasn't had his/her first molt ( though I have been noticing a lot more feathers at the bottom of the cage lately. However, TD has been "assuming the position" as it were. I've had a lot of different species in my care throughout my life, and this behavior definitely appears to be female! TD is still talking, singing and whistling up a storm all day long...and I mean ALL day long!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
My guess is boy if TC is so vocal. :)

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
TD is still talking, singing and whistling up a storm all day long...and I mean ALL day long!
If TD is a girl, you definitely have a very special lady there. Talking girls aren't common...wasn't Anne's Princess Mitch an excellent talker?

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
My guess is boy if TC is so vocal. :)
That is what I was thinking. But his/her face is looking like a female still and TD has an extremely wide stance. But, as for the vocalizations, TD loves to learn new words. He/she also seems to understand the meanings. TD began learning the theme song to the Andy Griffith Show awhile back. He/she struggled with the last riff...the one that comes after the riff that's repeated three times. So I began just whistling the 3x part and the last part a few times a day. Every morning TD has been practicing it over and over. It's precious! OMG! I am so in love with my bird!

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
.wasn't Anne's Princess Mitch an excellent talker?
Who was Anne's Princess Mitch? I believe TD is very special regardless of gender, of course... and now that I know a bit more about cockatiels, I believe I have the smartest, cutest, most amazing one on the planet (don't I?). I am kinda hoping TD's a boy though, bcuz the chronic egg laying, the possibility of an egg bound death (I once watched a cockatoo die that way...it was horrible and is seared into my mind) scare me so.

Last edited:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Who was Anne's Princess Mitch?
Princess Mitch was a female 'tiel that belonged to one of our Avian Angels, Anne Lonjak aka "Anne and Gang". Princess Mitch was first named "Mitch", but later, when the eggies came, got her title. She was quite a talker and whistler, I seem to recall....

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Awesome! How's the little Princess these days, do you know? And, what's an Avian Angel?
I'm not sure where Princess Mitch is. Anne passed away.

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
I'm not sure where Princess Mitch is. Anne passed away.
I thought that was probably the meaning of Angel, but one can never be sure. After all, there are clubs, groups, etc. that call themselves Angels (like the infamous motorcycle gang). Sorry about Anne. Always hard to see the world lose a good person, even if one didn't know them. Despite our out of control population, we seem to have a shortage of good ones!

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
My male tiel Mocha was very vocal - and a lot of the yellow in his face did not develop until he was over 6 months old.

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
That is what I was thinking. But his/her face is looking like a female still and TD has an extremely wide stance. But, as for the vocalizations, TD loves to learn new words. He/she also seems to understand the meanings. TD began learning the theme song to the Andy Griffith Show awhile back. He/she struggled with the last riff...the one that comes after the riff that's repeated three times. So I began just whistling the 3x part and the last part a few times a day. Every morning TD has been practicing it over and over. It's precious! OMG! I am so in love with my bird!
Actually young female tiels are quite vocal until they reach their first molt. Bella sang all of the time when she was a baby (I got her at 7 weeks of age) but now she only chirps.

blewin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ben
Buddy says "uh oh" fairly well...but that's it. She only says it when she is really upset at something. Otherwise, she just squawks and chirps...

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
The only word she has ever said was "no
Well, then the mystery does continue. TD has quite the vocabulary. Lets see, TD says, Pretty Bird, Wha'cha doin'?, Gimme a kiss , Mwaa (kissing noise), Tickle-tickle-tickle (while saying this he/she also raises up and stretches out the left foot to tickle you (explained in my thread Big Worry Wort), Tweedle-dee-deet in response to me saying Rockin' Robin, and, for some unknown reason, TD sometimes screeches at the top of his lungs "Gimme a Damn Kiss" though I've never said that to him or anyone for that matter. Usually he says that to his disco ball right before attacking it violently! Just recently TD began saying "TD's a pretty Birdy,Birdy, Birdy". He can also wolf whistle, and knows the whole theme song to the Andy Griffith Show! He begins before I uncover him in the morning and pretty much goes all day.

That being said, he has the stance of an old cowboy who rode Clydesdales instead of mustangs all his life. He's been "assuming the female position" while muttering tickle, tickle, tickle...and likes to build a nest in bowl shaped objects!

I'm so confused!

He's started losing a lot of feathers this last few days... could he/she be molting already at four months?

Oh, almost forgot, the ever entertaining game (until you've played five hours straight with a 'tiel), "Peek-a-boo"!

Last edited: