• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The Mourning Dove Family

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
My neighbor had a pair of doves sitting on 2 eggs in her flower box. Last week they hatched. Mom was seen with a dead baby in her beak. I think she took it out of the nest area. A few days ago the remaining baby jumped to the floor of the balcony. It cannot fly yet but managed to get up to a soft chair cushion. I put seed and water in view but baby has no idea that it is food. Mom no longer comes to the balcony. Dad has been calling her to no avail. Dad is feeding baby because baby is pooping. I am praying baby will fly soon. He is sure trying.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Any more stories about wild birds and their new babies?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I have given dove baby a name. BB for balcony baby. I put fresh seed in a paper plate for them Carefully opened the screen door as baby watched me. Mom came back this evening and fed BB. Then she went down to the fresh seed and are some. Little BB was beside mom nibbling on the seed for the first time. BB is close to flying away as he tested his wings on the bottom railing. Hope to get a photo tomorrow. Already should have.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
That’s so fun! Many neighbors tell me dove stories but ours put their nests out of sight. We don’t get to see the babies until they’ve fledged or beyond.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Never got that photo, BB flew away to be in the world. Dad still comes around and calls his sounds. The balcony has been made unfriendly for more nesting. So that is end of the Dove adventure.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Ahw happy it ended well!
We used to have a lot of birds nest in our shed, but mostly when I little I couldn’t see them. Then one time a blackbird Made her nest in the shed. I saw her when I was getting my bike, she looked so angry at me that I walked back out:rofl: Later she was more tolerant, when she left and I went in to get my bike the babies would pop up their heads hoping I was their mother with food:heart:
My friend used to have a blackbird that came back to nest every year, and the young birds came into the kitchen to steal dog food:D
Long ago me and a friend found a bird egg(not a chicken egg!) and we tried to hatch it by wrapping it in a blanket:shy::rofl:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Robin those are cute stories. Especially about the egg in a blanket. Thanks