• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The Less Fortunate

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I've heard of it done for pests, but I haven't looked up any specifics.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
I've heard of it done for pests, but I haven't looked up any specifics.

Thank you for telling me.
I didn't even know they had developed such a thing, for any animal. I wonder how the AVMA would respond if developed for cats and dogs. I would much rather lower the hormones, than take them completely away with surgeries like hysterectomies and neutering.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Okay, will trap the raccoon first because, man, is he in bad shape. His one foot in the back is bent backwards, and under, and he can barely walk. I want him to see a vet as soon as possible, and I am scared to death of him.

I also don't want to scare tom kitty by trapping the raccoon.

Scorch

Strolling the yard
Best of luck Sylvester, but as a quick question what do you plan to do with the tom once you catch him.Do you think an animal shelter would take him in as you did say that they wouldn't come take him unless he has bitten someone. Or are you planning to keep him or perhaps give him to a friend. Whatever it is, good luck and I admire you for wanting to help animals. Honestly the world needs more of people like you :D.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Best of luck Sylvester, but as a quick question what do you plan to do with the tom once you catch him.Do you think an animal shelter would take him in as you did say that they wouldn't come take him unless he has bitten someone. Or are you planning to keep him or perhaps give him to a friend. Whatever it is, good luck and I admire you for wanting to help animals. Honestly the world needs more of people like you :D.
You're pretty awesome yourself in taking the time and showing the interest by commenting on my post. Thank you.

Our animal control is a joke, didn't use to be. Now they try to get away with as little effort as possible.

Yes, I have a friend who has a soft spot in his heart for these old toms and would be delighted in taking him in. And if by chance he changes his mind, my house is always open.

Scorch

Strolling the yard
You're pretty awesome yourself in taking the time and showing the interest by commenting on my post. Thank you.

Our animal control is a joke, didn't use to be. Now they try to get away with as little effort as possible.

Yes, I have a friend who has a soft spot in his heart for these old toms and would be delighted in taking him in. And if by chance he changes his mind, my house is always open.
Thats great to hear. I always had a soft spot for cats, everytime I see a cat in my backyard, I start running around like a headless chicken getting some tuna. Then while I feed them, I just sit near them and they eventually let me pet them. One kept coming back for our tuna and for the cuddles so he basically became part of our family now. :D

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Thats great to hear. I always had a soft spot for cats, everytime I see a cat in my backyard, I start running around like a headless chicken getting some tuna. Then while I feed them, I just sit near them and they eventually let me pet them. One kept coming back for our tuna and for the cuddles so he basically became part of our family now. :D
LOL! You feed a cat, you've got a cat. You sound like my kind of person.

My whole family are suckers when it comes to an animal in need. Cats are particularly vulnerable because of society's views on them. We are told that they are so independent and can fend for themselves, and that nonsensical mentality makes them the perfect 'throwaway' pet. It is such a crock, for no animal can survive without access to food or fresh water.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Oh that hurts my heart. We've spend hundreds of years making them become dependent. We took independent right out of them.
Spot on, finchly.

I never thought about the last part of your reply but you are absolutely right in that we have greatly altered that animal. We have house broken, declawed, and bred their hunting skills right out of them.

And the ones who do hunt, get blamed for bringing down the bird population. Yeah, there is an animal with three letters that has contribute to bird decline alright, but I am not sure it is spelled C A T. More like M A N.

Scorch

Strolling the yard
Spot on, finchly.

I never thought about the last part of your reply but you are absolutely right in that we have greatly altered that animal. We have house broken, declawed, and bred their hunting skills right out of them.

And the ones who do hunt, get blamed for bringing down the bird population. Yeah, there is an animal with three letters that has contribute to bird decline alright, but I am not sure it is spelled C A T. More like M A N.
No matter how much I wish that weren't the truth, I have to agree with you, we don't get shouted at when we kill a mouse, rat or insect for no reason but a cat has hunting instincts and when it kills a bird or even a rat, then suddenly hell has broken loose and the cat is suddenly bringing down the entire bird population.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
No matter how much I wish that weren't the truth, I have to agree with you, we don't get shouted at when we kill a mouse, rat or insect for no reason but a cat has hunting instincts and when it kills a bird or even a rat, then suddenly HE double hockey sticks has broken loose and the cat is suddenly bringing down the entire bird population.
Cats have gotten a bad rap since the Middle Ages. If they really felt that cats were contributing to a bird shortage, than go after the idiots who dump the cats.

Okay, moment of truth, I am going to try to get that hurt raccoon tonight. Does anyone think it is a good idea to throw something over him and try to pick him up?

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Can you lure him with food and a cat carrier? There's a good chance he may have a disease you could bring home to your pets. :o:

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Can you lure him with food and a cat carrier? There's a good chance he may have a disease you could bring home to your pets. :o:
He would stay in a cage on my front porch (it is warm right now) and then go right to my vet first thing in the morning.

I kind of of blew it with him. He was trusting (for a raccoon) until I decided to do something different. I put the dry food out of which he started gobbling, but then I doubled back thinking I should give him some can cat food since he didn't have any water. Bad decision, he avoids me like the plague.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
He'll come around again. At least you've given him a nice, healing meal til then. :bluhug:

Sylvester

Hit the Road
He'll come around again. At least you've given him a nice, healing meal til then. :bluhug:

I have been feeding him along with my cats for about three weeks. I only saw one side of him which didn't look too bad, and I kept thinking "why isn't he healing already?' Then he turned his other side to me and I saw his foot, mangled and facing in the opposite direction. When he runs from me he is practically dragging himself by his two front legs.

Usually I don't mess with raccoons because they can be fierce, but he is such a pitiful sight that I can't not do something. My old tom looks like a brand new kitten compared to this guy.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Can you rent one of those big, wire cage traps from the animal shelter to catch him? I don't think they're that much & ours has weekly rates; yours might, too.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Can you rent one of those big, wire cage traps from the animal shelter to catch him? I don't think they're that much & ours has weekly rates; yours might, too.

If their okay about me catching a wild animal with it. The guy in charge said I could use his when trying to catch the cats. I don't know how he will feel about raccoons for as you said, they can carry diseases. I would try to throw an old blanket over him and pick him up if I didn't think he would just tear right through it. He is only about five months old, but that is old enough to do some damage.

Sorry faislaq, didn't mean to prattle on about a raccoon.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Critters are critters. :shrug3: You could "accidentally" have caught the raccoon instead of the cat. Oops, my bad! ;)

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
You are doing well! I really hope you can catch them both!:hug8: