• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The "Hormonal" Season -- how do you deal with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

floridamingo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Marina
I am going to be getting a macaw soon and one of my biggest worries is the breeding season-- in your opinion are males better than females or vise-versa? Also let me know what troubles you've encountered and how you deal with them!

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't have a male large macaw, but based on what I've seen with other people's birds and what I've heard from people on boards like this one, the males are a little harder to deal with on average (but all birds are individuals, and this varies from bird to bird).

My female B&G gets very nesty, usually for 2-3 months out of a year, and the problems are mostly: 1) she won't come out of her cage 2) she becomes very territorial and aggressive and will bite visitors and would attack any bird that got too close 3) she becomes very "sexy" and flirty in her behavior towards me. Lots of tail presentation, and sexy noises, LOL.

It's not that big of a deal, for the most part. She doesn't become aggressive toward me, and other than my worrying about her because she spends too much time guarding her "nest," it's not that hard to deal with. :) I just take proper precautions with other pets and visitors.

Status
Not open for further replies.