• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The Honneymoon Period ...

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Isnt there suppose to be one ???????? :meh::meh:

I got totally ripped off if that idea is true ...because I didn't get one ...Ghost has been a lil monster ever since I got him ...Like today he had a wild hair up his a$$ and screamed for an hour while he was out jumping all over the top of his cage :blink:.... then after being out for several hours and after calming down from his excitement for the day ...with his preferred treat waiting for him in his cage while stepping up and going into his cage all sweet like ..he decides to play can you lock my cage before I bite you ....I wasn't fast enough and he bit me a very nice one on my finger then went to go eat his treat all happy with himself and is now resting on his favorite perch ....:bash:

Now I know the jumping and screaming was more then likely just a way to get rid of some energy but whats wrong with doing a loud call instead of the screaming ..I don't want or expect him not to jump around and have a good time I guess Im just sensitive to the screaming because he does it so much ...but the bite come on ...he didn't need to do that ....and it wasn't a quick nip it was a hold on and grind down bite ...normally he goes in and I remind him his treat is there and he eats it and I lock the door and everyone is happy ...:shifty:

I guess every day is a different day in the life of Ghost ...I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that we had a few battles about him being on my shoulder earlier in the day ...I think he has to earn the right to be a shoulder bird and he thinks he should just be allowed... plus he bites my ears when he is on my shoulder and that's not happening ...just how long do they hold grudges for ...I know it can be for awhile but is he smart enough to hold a grudge for that ...:wtf:

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
How old is he?

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
They told me he is 13 :)

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Is he bored?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that we had a few battles about him being on my shoulder earlier in the da
It has more to do with you've only had him a "SPECK" of time. It takes years to develop the relationship to where you both understand the rules and you both know how to play by them.

Everything you've described is "normal" behaviour. The bird doesn't have a problem with the screaming. You do. When you get to the point where two cockatoos can sit 4ft away from you and "take turns" screaming to make it constant and all it does is make you smile. You'll be trained.

If you're lucky you get a honeymoon. Not everyone does.

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Is he bored?
I don't know if he is bored he has several things to play with and I play with him ...but today during his "jumping/screaming time " I was doing something else which I guess he didn't like just like he didn't and doesn't like the no shoulder rule ....:huh:

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
It has more to do with you've only had him a "SPECK" of time. It takes years to develop the relationship to where you both understand the rules and you both know how to play by them.

Everything you've described is "normal" behaviour. The bird doesn't have a problem with the screaming. You do. When you get to the point where two cockatoos can sit 4ft away from you and "take turns" screaming to make it constant and all it does is make you smile. You'll be trained.

If you're lucky you get a honeymoon. Not everyone does.
It sure is a tough road I have chosen for all of us ..including Ghost ...I am trying to be as consistent with the rules as I can but it seems like new rules pop up every day with him ...its the biting that's the worst ...the screaming we are making progress even though it doesn't seem like it some days ....I thought I had the game of locking the cage beat until today ...it had been several days since he had bit me ....he would rather go for the treat instead of me ...now I don't know what to do ...be faster I guess ...or find another way to get the lock on the cage ....wear gloves ...well there has to be something I'm sure Ill figure it out ....:meh:

I know he is acting "normally" for a crazy Too ..lol..and that's why I really cant get to mad at him ...and the time we have been together hasn't been long and it takes time to build a relationship ...but he isn't a stupid bird he should be getting some of this stuff....he is just very strong willed ..and our wills are clashing ...:bash:

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
I hear you with the screaming thing. Echo' s calling/screaming is so repetitive and boring, its grating. He has such a limited vocabulary call wise. Even thou Zane is somewhat louder I much rather to his calls and screams as they vary so much more

Echo was also very much wanted on my shoulder, I lost that battle and he's my little face biter. :facepalm: But things worked out in the end. We got past our rough patch. I still don't 100% trust him but I've learned to read his moods. I'm always a little on guard with him. But to be honest I should be grateful because he is good 95% of the time now. When he makes me nervous I often forget that.

Sorry I'm just rambling on and you probably have a more difficult Too on your hands. But I hope can you can having a better relationship with Ghost. They do throw you curve balls and it's a hard road ahead. But you can make it :)

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Your bird sounds so much like my Goffin. Everything you've mentioned, Sweden has done. Everything! And more.

Just one I get a handle on one problem (biting when closing door), another one pops up (escaping when food dishes removed) or (flights the moment door is opened) or ??

Always up to something. Always busy. Always thinking.

Biting can come in waves. Had a Goffin hanging from my lip one day. Then the sweetest bird in the world the next. Then a flying shark out to remove a finger the next.

Usually the biting is just excitement gone overboard. Hormones does play a part sometimes.

Noise is also something I've just come to accept. We go through stages where repetitive yelling goes on. It's usually if I'm in the other room doing something with Chaos. It happens in and out of cage. It's cockatoo language for "Hey, I want you".

I guess over the last 21 years I've just learned to tune it out fairly well. It can get on my nerves at times.

It, like biting can be bad at times, and non existent at other times.

Right now her repetitive yapping is bad. Demanding, loud, fingernails on chalkboard bad.

I can't wait for this bout of yelling to subside. It will. It always does.

Goffins, always changing, always active, always keeping you on your toes.

Mine loves showering and bathing in a deep pie pan.

It keeps Sweden happy for hours playing in the water in the dish.

Try it when the yelling starts.

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
I think today is going to be another bad day ..mom called to tell me he hasnt stopped screaming ever since I left for work and normally he does but my daughter is off for spring break and is home ...and he loves my daughter and she isnt paying attention to him she is cleaning the house because her boyfriend is coming over today ...I wonder how that is going to work out ...he has been good the last 3 days because I had those off and was able to spend time with him ..now back to work and with Laurel home I wonder if this is going to be the week from He!! for all considered while Im at work ...its so hard when Im not there because I can keep him interested in toys and stuff but my fam isnt as accommodating as I am to the birds ...I imagine Ill be walking into a sh!t show when I get home :wtf: