• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly about Crimson Bellied Conures

BashTinkLuna

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
OST
The attributes listed in this thread are the experiences of each individual and your experiences may differ with your individual bird.

The GOOD!!
Crimson bellied conure has the sweetest personality ever. My CBC is like a little princess, that rarely scream out loud. She rarely bites (not nippy). She is also a polite lady. She loves to be petted. She has beautiful feather, more beautiful than on those pictures. My female CBC has different perspective color, Sometimes, she looked like greenish blue, sometimes she looked like avocado green.
CBC doesn't produce powder like cockatoo, cockatiels, and their family. I can say my CBC has special bond with me, as she always notice and calling me when I go back home, before I haven't even step my foot on the front house (I'm sure, she didn't even see my presence). But many times, someone who is at home tell me that my CBC will scream properly a minute before I reach home. She is also half potty-trained, like she understand when I put her down, and I said "Poop", she will wiggle her butt to poop. But there is not guarantee, she won't poop on my bed.
The other good is she can mimic my laugh. Some CBC can talk, but I can't expect too much. They are not a good talker like IRN or CAG.

The BAD now..
I still wonder that my female CBC are a bit smelly. It's maybe because her tail touch the poops and become smelly (but I swear, no smell on her poops). And I'm not sure since my male CBC isn't that smelly.

The UGLY...
Well, CBC is beeautiful, not ugly.

Oh, one thing, maybe it's good or it's bad, depend on you. CBC is a clingy bird. CBC loves attention, loves to be petted. CBC is so demanding, even I have to take her out of the cage every 2 hours just for petting them. So CBC is not compatible for the owner who doesn't have enough time or attention for them just for a little petting.

Please do write some reply about your crimson bellied conure. I am happy to read about other CBC.

Attachments

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Thank you for sharing your experiences with your crimson bellied conure with us.

alshgs

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I don't have much experience since my first passed away at 10 months. But I'll put both birds down since they are completely different. I'll update as they get older.

The Good:
Rio was a sweetheart. Loved to cuddle, always wanted to be included in what you were doing. Almost like he needed to be in the middle. The baby (who I have not named yet) loves attention as well, but Is also independent, which is good. He is a total sweetheart too, and a big cuddle bug. He loves to bury himself under a shirt and he close to you. They also have the weirdest but cutest little noises that they make. Although mine squeals like a pig when he doesn't get his way

The Bad:
There isn't much bad yet. Rio would come off his cage onto the couch, run to your ear, bite you and run away while making what sounded like a laughing noise. I found it funny, but some people may not. When Rio bit, he bit hard. He loved to wrestle, which I loved, but then he would get over excited and bite, which was probably my fault since I let him think we were playing rough. The new baby hasn't shown any bad signs....yet.

The Ugly:
The contact calls and screams will hurt your ears and is not far off from a sun or jendays calls. At least in my house. Rio never made a sound, but the new baby calls when I'm out of sight, when he wants out, when I'm in sight, or when he's hungry, and lets me know he's out of food.

They are some of my favorite conure species, and I recommend them as much as possible. They are said to be like suns without the screaming, but they do make some very loud contact calls.

Dachshund King

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
The good:

Poppy is very sweet and loves attention. She is very cheeky and likes to play games. She interacts with everyone and loves to be cuddled. In the evening she will go to sleep with you and loves to be stroked behind her head. She is generally quiet and mimics a whistle. She is easily trained and was potty trained after a couple days of having her. She is really fun and a great bird to have as a companion.

Bad:

She is very messy and dumps a lot of her food in her water dish so she needs cleaning out a lot. She is very loud in the morning however it might be the other birds that set her off. She is also loud if louder music is playing or the hoover is on. She is a bit nippy but has gotten a lot better and rarely bites me. When she is out the cage you need to keep an eye on her as she likes chew a lot of things.

Overall she is very cool and I wouldn't trade her for anything. Hope this helps

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
The Good - They are beautiful birds. I love the contrast between the red belly, dark head, and blue / green feathers on the back.

The Bad - I have a breeding pair, so I don't interact with them as if they were pets. They aren't willing to let me touch them, but they don't scream at me or try to bite me when I'm in the cage.

The Ugly - I don't have anything. When I have a chick to raise maybe I can contribute something here.

While mine are not pets, they seem to be very sweet birds. They feed each other. One will pick up a piece of apple and hold it up for the other to eat. If I'm late feeding them, she lets me know. They chatter at me, sometimes loudly, but never scream. The female will whistle/sing when she thinks I'm not paying attention. If she sees me watching she stops. When I feed them, she comes to the front of the cage. Not close enough to be touched, but she comes up to me and looks in the bowl, or chatters at me. I check on them each day as the sun goes down. The female nags the male to get in the nest box with her, and when I say goodnight, she pops her head out and make a few sounds then goes back in.

Whoviana

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Tara
More pictures! Your CBC's all sound so adorable! My husband and I are thinking of getting one to join our GCC.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
There all different but in general calmer than GCC...

Rio is quiet but will try to nip if fingers get close to him so I don't touch him.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Here is my pair. The female is in the front. I call them Mr and Mrs Stubby. She is missing the claws from her longest front toe. Not sure what happened there, but it doesn't seem to be an issue for her. She makes this noise that's almost like a honking sound. Like I said before, she does it to me when I come outside and at night when she's getting ready to go into the box for the night. She also gets sassy with me. Once in a while they all start screaming and I can hear them inside. I stick my head out the door to tell them to quiet down and she make that noise at me. She will jump in her nest box and stick her head in and out while making that noise. Even though they aren't pets, they have great personalities.

Attachments

Cary

Meeting neighbors
I’m bringing mine home in a few weeks. Thank you all for your posts, you helped me decide to get a CBC!

Kirstan

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Kirstan
The good - cuddly, social with EVERYONE and is a total sweetheart. As long as you know her dislikes, she's a fairly easy bird to read and avoid bites (not that she bites much anyways)

The bad - she's picky about toys which makes it hard to help her become a more independent bird when I can't be around. She's LOUD. Screeches and/or beeps constantly if I make any noise outside the bird room. She's very, very clingy and prefers human contact versus contact with her bird boyfriend. She does have a big attitude about things like if I'm not moving fast enough to come pick her up, she'll screech. Among other things.

Overall - she's an absolutely wonderful bird despite her loudness, attitude and clingy/picky nature.

Attachments

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa
@Kirstan do CBCs have ruffled feathers at the back of their heads? She’s beautiful.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Smelly poop needs a vet check...might be bacterial or some problem...Poop should not smell..
CBC's are great...mine was just part of a free flighted bird owner & had limited socialization..
He will nip now at fingers & never liked hands but he;s still sort of a sweetie & I should work with him more
but I just did not want to push him into a uncomfortable zone did little to help tame him...
They are great birds & highly recommend...

PotatoePie

Moving in
I’m bringing mine home in a few weeks. Thank you all for your posts, you helped me decide to get a CBC!
Hi, I have a sun conure and am thinking about getting a CBC how has your experience been?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Hi, I have a sun conure and am thinking about getting a CBC how has your experience been?
The member you have quoted and asked a question of has not been online here since 2018 so you are not likely to hear back from them. You can start your own thread if there is anything you wish to ask...

stephanieh

Moving in
Real Name
Stephanie Hart
I don't have much experience since my first passed away at 10 months. But I'll put both birds down since they are completely different. I'll update as they get older.

The Good:
Rio was a sweetheart. Loved to cuddle, always wanted to be included in what you were doing. Almost like he needed to be in the middle. The baby (who I have not named yet) loves attention as well, but Is also independent, which is good. He is a total sweetheart too, and a big cuddle bug. He loves to bury himself under a shirt and he close to you. They also have the weirdest but cutest little noises that they make. Although mine squeals like a pig when he doesn't get his way

The Bad:
There isn't much bad yet. Rio would come off his cage onto the couch, run to your ear, bite you and run away while making what sounded like a laughing noise. I found it funny, but some people may not. When Rio bit, he bit hard. He loved to wrestle, which I loved, but then he would get over excited and bite, which was probably my fault since I let him think we were playing rough. The new baby hasn't shown any bad signs....yet.

The Ugly:
The contact calls and screams will hurt your ears and is not far off from a sun or jendays calls. At least in my house. Rio never made a sound, but the new baby calls when I'm out of sight, when he wants out, when I'm in sight, or when he's hungry, and lets me know he's out of food.

They are some of my favorite conure species, and I recommend them as much as possible. They are said to be like suns without the screaming, but they do make some very loud contact calls.

stephanieh

Moving in
Real Name
Stephanie Hart
I am thinking of getting CBC but i am on blood thinners so i cannot have a biter.an you let me know if this is a good idea.I was comparing a CBC to a black capped. I,m confused i would like to have a gentle bird instead of a biter.The noise does not bother me. I am more concerned about the biting.Would appreciate your answer very much.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have adopted a CBC just one month ago. Rio is a cuddly baby, but he can bite and twice there was blood. In fact, I think all birds bite. It's just inevitable. As bird parents, we have to look out for THE SIGNS to avoid bites :lol:

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I am thinking of getting CBC but i am on blood thinners so i cannot have a biter.an you let me know if this is a good idea.I was comparing a CBC to a black capped. I,m confused i would like to have a gentle bird instead of a biter.The noise does not bother me. I am more concerned about the biting.Would appreciate your answer very much.
If you’re on thinners and concerned about bites, i probably wouldn’t get any sort of conure - maybe something more like a budgie or a cockatiel?

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you’re on thinners and concerned about bites, i probably wouldn’t get any sort of conure - maybe something more like a budgie or a cockatiel?
Even cockatiel bites can draw blood... Budgies can also bite, but small beak small damage :lol: