• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The good bad and ugly about society finches/mannikins

Featheredfuffs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
Since I didn't see any good bad and ugly on these wonderful little guys, I thought I'd make one:D

Good:
These finches, especially Societies, are wonderfully enthusiastic, social, hilarious little birds. My males have a funny little dance they do where they grab the longest piece of nesting material they can hold, puff their chest up, and start singing and hopping about:roflmao::hehe:. They are very calm for finches, I have a few that will hope on my finger if I ask them to, and they're very good during vet visits and nail/beak trims:)
My societies are wonderful fosters, my spice finches not so much. But they all take great care of their babies:heart:
The boys little songs are the perfect volume, and they are very quiet little birds that love singing and cheeping to one another.

Bad:

The babies are super delicate!!! And you may not think that would be a problem if you weren't breeding them but.... in most species you cannot tell the boy and girl apart, and these guys sure love raising babies!!! An average clutch number is around 3-9, and they can breed 3-4 times a year, so in one year you could end up with up to 29-38 finches!:omg::faint:

They are very social, so you have to get at least two... and then you risk having many, many more...:wideyed:

The mess is a bit of a problem, but nowhere near the mess of a parrot... except when it's molting season. I have 11, so it's definitely more of a problem then if I only had two, but their tiny feathers get everywhere! And they are super hard to clean up, because sweeping with a broom just sends them flying!!! It's like a giant pillow fight took place in my bird room!:pillowfight:

Ugly:
I really can't think of any ugly to these wonderful little birds:heart::spicefinch::finch2:

Strange/funny:

All 9(!) of my my society finches have an endearing habit of cramming into one nest box to sleep. It's hilarious to see all the little heads pop out when you walk by:pinkgrin:

Here's a picture:

Attachments

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Thank you for writing this for everyone to read.

AvianCrew

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
michelle
My Zebra Finches like to nest everywhere. So far, their food bowl has turned into a nest maybe 3 times.

Cynth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cynthia
Thank you. I just inquired about societies from a local breeder. Haven't heard back yet. I think they are so sweet.