• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The classic head-bob

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
For those with green-cheek conures, how do you typically interpret the head-bob? My bird is very afraid of me and will not allow me to touch her, but she has been making a lot of noise today and giving me a very clear head-bob where she looks at me and moves her entire head/neck from down low, to way up high several times - straight up and down, no side-to-side. I have done this back at her, and she seems to tolerate it, but that is about it.

Any idea what this means? I have seen this a few times in the past, but not very often.

Thanks!!!

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Also, as I was writing that last message, she came out of her cage and did this:

Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.

She has been doing this quite a bit lately. I have always interpreted this as her "scolding" me for something that she doesn't like. Not sure if that is accurate. Any idea what she is trying to communicate?????

This feels to me like she views me as her evil captor and is just giving me a piece of her mind!!

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She actually looks like a happy bird to me but then I don't have GCCs although I did have maroon-bellied conures and they are very similar. She could be complaining a bit or just greeting the day. Also seems like she is looking for something. I really don't think she is viewing you as "her evil captor". My Dusky Conure is running around on his perch right now and making similar noises interspersed with talking. He just wants to play and probably wants more corn kibble added to his food.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
She actually looks like a happy bird to me but then I don't have GCCs although I did have maroon-bellied conures and they are very similar. She could be complaining a bit or just greeting the day. Also seems like she is looking for something. I really don't think she is viewing you as "her evil captor". My Dusky Conure is running around on his perch right now and making similar noises interspersed with talking. He just wants to play and probably wants more corn kibble added to his food.
Glad to hear you say that!!!! i hope that you are right.

And, get this...

About 5 minutes ago, she suddenly flew down to me and turned around in mid-air, right in front of my face, and flew back to her cage. I wonder if this was a mistake, or was she was actually considering landing on me??? Exciting!!!

Last edited:

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
He just wants to play and probably wants more corn kibble added to his food.
Is this the dried corn kernels?? Mango loves that stuff!!! How much do you give to your Dusky? Is it considered healthy?

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
eems like she is looking for something
It just occurred to me! You may be right.

The times that I have seen her do that the way you see in the video are the times that I completely removed her blanket from the cage.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is this the dried corn kernels?? Mango loves that stuff!!! How much do you give to your Dusky? Is it considered healthy?
No not the dried corn kernels. They sort of look like mini Kix cereal. They are one of the ingredients in Volkman Avian Super Science Hookbill. You can see them in this photo. There is one towards the bottom of the package and part of one that can be seen towards the right side of the package.
Amazon.com : Volkman Avian Science Super Hookbill 4 lb : Pet Food : Pet Supplies

Maybe she is just very happy and excited that the blanket is off the cage or maybe it's the opposite. I do think that she looks happy in that video. That's cool that she flew towards you. Maybe she WAS thinking about landing on you.

Mark & Da Boyz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
Pretty young lady. Too bad she and Cheddar don't share a bit of personality, he's been agavating the blazes out of me all day.

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
Oooooooooooooh what a pretty bird. Everything looks fine to me. She's calling for other birds of her kind and you're it. Just let her be herself. Offer her treats and talk soft and sweet to her. Looks like she wants to bond with you.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
No not the dried corn kernels. They sort of look like mini Kix cereal. They are one of the ingredients in Volkman Avian Super Science Hookbill. You can see them in this photo. There is one towards the bottom of the package and part of one that can be seen towards the right side of the package.
Amazon.com : Volkman Avian Science Super Hookbill 4 lb : Pet Food : Pet Supplies

Maybe she is just very happy and excited that the blanket is off the cage or maybe it's the opposite. I do think that she looks happy in that video. That's cool that she flew towards you. Maybe she WAS thinking about landing on you.
You are SUCH an optimist!!!! So wonderful to know someone like you!

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Oooooooooooooh what a pretty bird. Everything looks fine to me. She's calling for other birds of her kind and you're it. Just let her be herself. Offer her treats and talk soft and sweet to her. Looks like she wants to bond with you.
Wow, I like what I am hearing!! Thanks for your input, Rick!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You are SUCH an optimist!!!! So wonderful to know someone like you!
Thanks. I'm good at optimism when it comes to others. Not so good with my "stuff".
You should give yourself a lot of credit for being very patient with her and for caring for and loving her. She is very lucky that you brought her home.

Skipper

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Scott Schifer
The fact that she will not let you touch her does not mean she is afraid of your or does not like you. Some birds just don't like to be touched.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
At one point today, while I was sitting on the couch and Mango was in her cage, I saw Mango walk down to the open door of her cage and look out. I called her and then she looked right at me and put her head out the door. I held up my hand and said "Come on, Mango....come here" trying to entice her to fly to me. She did not fly to me, but she kept trying to move toward me, inching her way out of the cage while looking intently at my extended hand. Then, she gave me the head-bob once again. I really do think that the head-bob is a "favorable" communication. It seems to mean that she is favorably disposed toward our interaction and engaged. I can tell that a part of her really wanted to come to me. She was very conflicted and climbed all the way out of the cage and clung to the side staring at me and bobbing her head. It was a very interesting interaction. Eventually, she climbed on top of the cage. I kept trying to get her to fly to me but she would not. It is interesting that when I am near her she moves away from me, but when I am at a distance and ask her to fly to me, she actually seems to be considering it.

I placed some seed on the table next to her and she came down and munched. At one point, I picked up a red Tupperware lid and when she saw it, she freaked and started flying around the room. She landed in her usual corner and hung out there for about an hour, then flew to a ledge, then back to her cage where she climbed inside, ate some food and went to sleep. I have noticed that the color red really seems to freak her out.

She is becoming a confident flyer now. She now flies back to the top of her cage instead of using the ladder.

All of this is very interesting to me. It is fun to try to figure out conure psychology. It is definitely different from Pionus psychology. Pionus don't seem to do the head-bob as much. For conures, a head-bob really seems to be a good thing.

Last edited:

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
Yes, it sure is fun trying to 'read' conure personalities and antics.
Farlie hates yellow. He destroys anything yellow. Funny...

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

I placed some seed on the table next to her and she came down and munched. At one point, I picked up a red Tupperware lid and when she saw it, she freaked and started flying around the room. She landed in her usual corner and hung out there for about an hour, then flew to a ledge, then back to her cage where she climbed inside, ate some food and went to sleep. I have noticed that the color red really seems to freak her out.

Red is a very scary color for some birds. Spee is very afraid of things that are red and dark orange so I don't wear any of those colors in the house.

I do think that she is just not 100% sure how to interact with you. She is a bit conflicted.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig

Red is a very scary color for some birds. Spee is very afraid of things that are red and dark orange so I don't wear any of those colors in the house.

I do think that she is just not 100% sure how to interact with you. She is a bit conflicted.
Yes, red does seem to be a scary color for Mango. I remember wearing a red top once and she freaked out, though I did not realize what was the cause at the time. Cosmo did not like white and would attack anything that was white. I remember other people also telling me that their birds did not like white.

Spee!!! Every time that I see sparrows outside not I think of little Spee. How is he doing today?? So he does not like red or orange? I guess there isn't too much red/orange outside. But maybe there are many freaked out sparrows in the fall when many trees sport bright red/orange foliage!!!

Yes, Mango is conflicted. I think that is a good thing because a part of her is saying "go and be friends!" while another part is saying "no, stay away." I just hope that the scale tips in my favor at some point.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
The head bob you keep mentioning sounds to me like young bird begging for food?

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
The head bob you keep mentioning sounds to me like young bird begging for food?
No, this is a slower, deliberate, up-and-down movement of the head. I wish I had some video!

Hey! I found a YouTube video that shows it.