• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The budgie situation

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
Thank you! He's in and everyone is enjoying a millet spray, lol. was the only way I could get the girls to stop screaming at him. They have now stopped trying to be jerks towards each other and have both focused on him. so rude, lol. standing at the front of the cage weaving back and forth and making the shrillest noises possible. He did tell them off and is singing to the budgies on youtube. Doesn't seem concerned about them a bit. They had calmed down some until they saw him fly in there and that's when the toys got dropped and I tried millet to distract them. Beeper is loving the millet. weeble's like "nah, I'd rather sit here and try to burst his eardrums instead." :mad2: :rolleyes: they need to take a :chillpill:. maybe I might mist them, lol:chillout:

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
nothing like a nice shower to calm the beasts, lol. finally a little peace and quiet. too busy preening:smuggrin: he's actually singing to them at the moment :heart:

Lo_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
How fun! I bet it's exciting them all being together finally :)

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
It is now. I was really anxious about it but everyone is going about their normal bird business so that's pretty awesome. Beeper is still working in her millet spray, weeble is working on destroying a basswood woody, and Bongo is preening with fluffy budge beard going on and nobody is screaming anymore. All is well in the birdroom. I got 5 weeks worth of laundry sorted and going and am about to reorganize the birds stuff after moving everything around. It's been a good day overall!

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
I remember seeing you asking for types of budgie toys. my budgies always enjoyed their little penguin friend. it's like Bozo the clown you can knock it over but it come back upright. Sweet Pea has it now, poor little thing gets thrown off the platform daily.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
I remember seeing you asking for types of budgie toys. my budgies always enjoyed their little penguin friend. it's like Bozo the clown you can knock it over but it come back upright. Sweet Pea has it now, poor little thing gets thrown off the platform daily.
Do you have a picture of it? Sounds like fun!

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Sweet pea is sleeping and it's in the cage. I'll take a picture in the morning, ok.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
here are the pictures:

IMG_0001.JPG
He is about 2 " tall and very heavy in the bottom. He is plastic with a painted face (very worn away on the beak). He has survived budgies and the tiels.

IMG_0002.JPG IMG_0003.JPG IMG_0004.JPG

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
Oh so cute! That looks like the one in the budgie fetching video minus the wheels! I've looked for one online.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
here are the pictures:

He is about 2 " tall and very heavy in the bottom. He is plastic with a painted face (very worn away on the beak). He has survived budgies and the tiels.
]
When I was very, very, very young my budgies had that toy. They loved it.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
the budgies thought it was punching penguin. they would get down on the floor of their cage chatter at it and knock it about. the teils love it for throwing. Sweet Pea can make Mama jump out of her skin went she throws it off the platform. WACKO!!!!!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Birds can be afraid of smaller things... so I'm half wondering if Weeble and Beeper were afraid of Bongo at first...

I have had small birds and large birds together... both unintentionally and intentionally.

Smurf, the budgie, would crawl between the bottom bars of the cage and the tray itself to go hang out in Noel, the conures, cage. I freaked out at first when I saw this occur, but later realized that they pretty much kept to themselves! I assumed Smurf did this as a way to escape from the girls (other budgies), since they weren't always so nice to him! And whenever I caught him in the act, he'd always make his escape out of the cage!

Then I converted a bedroom into a cage-free bird-room and was able to have everyone get along.....

Then Charlie (conure) came along... and later Normie (budgie)... and that changed things! These are pictures right before I took Normie to her new home! Smurf had died (some farm illness I don't know how he got), leaving me with the girls, and since they were healthy, I rehomed them together. I had a pair of budgies that I never introduced to the rest of the budgie flock, and the male from that pair died (AGY... didn't find out until necropsy results... all previous tests didn't detect it :( ), which left me with a lone hen.... Normie. Well, whenever I let Normie out of her cage, she took it upon herself to squeeze between the bars of Charlie's cage and play with his toys and eat his food. This infuriated Charlie to no end! As amusing as it was to watch Charlie lumber around his cage chasing her, and she nimbly avoiding him, I knew it was a dangerous situation! After I boarded my entire flock, her behavior became even worse, and so I found a budgie only home for her!

Ever since, I have not had such a large difference in size of species living together. I mean, I have had my bourke (prior to her passing) living with my cockatiels for a short while, but she did best alone. (she was happier living with the cockatiels, but then she'd get sick.... kept her separate and cared for her separately, she was healthier....) Right now, I do have an ARN with my cockatiels, but weight wise, she's not much bigger. Body wise though, she is quite a bit bigger! Although the ARN isn't friendly with the tiels, they get along. I wouldn't try this in a smaller space though, as that would probably be trouble!

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
Birds can be afraid of smaller things... so I'm half wondering if Weeble and Beeper were afraid of Bongo at first...

I have had small birds and large birds together... both unintentionally and intentionally.

Smurf, the budgie, would crawl between the bottom bars of the cage and the tray itself to go hang out in Noel, the conures, cage. I freaked out at first when I saw this occur, but later realized that they pretty much kept to themselves! I assumed Smurf did this as a way to escape from the girls (other budgies), since they weren't always so nice to him! And whenever I caught him in the act, he'd always make his escape out of the cage!

Then I converted a bedroom into a cage-free bird-room and was able to have everyone get along.....

Then Charlie (conure) came along... and later Normie (budgie)... and that changed things! These are pictures right before I took Normie to her new home! Smurf had died (some farm illness I don't know how he got), leaving me with the girls, and since they were healthy, I rehomed them together. I had a pair of budgies that I never introduced to the rest of the budgie flock, and the male from that pair died (AGY... didn't find out until necropsy results... all previous tests didn't detect it :( ), which left me with a lone hen.... Normie. Well, whenever I let Normie out of her cage, she took it upon herself to squeeze between the bars of Charlie's cage and play with his toys and eat his food. This infuriated Charlie to no end! As amusing as it was to watch Charlie lumber around his cage chasing her, and she nimbly avoiding him, I knew it was a dangerous situation! After I boarded my entire flock, her behavior became even worse, and so I found a budgie only home for her!

Ever since, I have not had such a large difference in size of species living together. I mean, I have had my bourke (prior to her passing) living with my cockatiels for a short while, but she did best alone. (she was happier living with the cockatiels, but then she'd get sick.... kept her separate and cared for her separately, she was healthier....) Right now, I do have an ARN with my cockatiels, but weight wise, she's not much bigger. Body wise though, she is quite a bit bigger! Although the ARN isn't friendly with the tiels, they get along. I wouldn't try this in a smaller space though, as that would probably be trouble!

I don't think they were scared of him just based on their body language. Big and puffy and not evasive at all. The opposite of when I bring out their atom and the get slick and try to flee, lol. I know what you mean though. Weeble scared the crap out of my moms Rosie and a hyacinth when she flew at them (separate occasions at my old job) They were in travel cages and both about fell off their perch backwards, lol. It's been interesting to see the vibe change in the birdroom. They seem to listen to him chattering and singing when I play the budgie sounds for him rather than just screaming, like they do toward each other. He seems to have had a slight calming effect for now, lol. I love all your photos of your birds not trying to kill each other. Wish mine would be that way. I'm considering lupron shizzs for the girls as we now have had two years if nonstop hormonal behavior. It has not eased up since I brought beeper into the house. At all. Part of me is hoping he would shake things up a bit and ease the one on one competition they have had going to win me over as a mate. I want my girls back. Neither were like this before meeting each other.