• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tell me about your Hahn's- what is a day with one like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

evsrin

Rollerblading along the road

The only thing that she REALLY REALLY REALLY goes for are things that will probably kill her kidneys. She LOVES cupcakes and donuts and things like that... any cake-product she will risk life and wing for. She also seems to take a serious interest in things that will just kill her altogether like avocados, chocolate, coffee... :( We've tried with crackers and peanuts and all sorts of less healthy options but they just don't cut it with her.

She was a picky eater since day one. The breeder CLAIMS that she was eating fresh vegetables before she came home, but, she definitely has never ever ever done so here. She literally RUNS from green things. Unless it's a cupcake with artificial green frosting or something :rolleyes: She will once in a while enjoy a TOPs pellet which we thank our lucky stars for but it's really only rarely.

Oh boy. Usually I run and barricade myself elsewhere. I will try :p
:lol:I really hope little Miss Karat is the exception and not the rule!:rofl:

Ben

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ben

I trained them with the "gentle" prompt, just like with all my others :) The short version of this is: you touch their beaks gently and say "gentle" and then you have them return the favor by gently beaking your hand. When they're gentle, they get rewards and praise. You model the behavior, then prompt and reward for it. All of my birds know what "gentle" is.
I haven't heard of being gentle being taught this way!!! I like it a lot.

Merlie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award

The only thing that she REALLY REALLY REALLY goes for are things that will probably kill her kidneys. She LOVES cupcakes and donuts and things like that... any cake-product she will risk life and wing for. She also seems to take a serious interest in things that will just kill her altogether like avocados, chocolate, coffee... :( We've tried with crackers and peanuts and all sorts of less healthy options but they just don't cut it with her.

She was a picky eater since day one. The breeder CLAIMS that she was eating fresh vegetables before she came home, but, she definitely has never ever ever done so here. She literally RUNS from green things. Unless it's a cupcake with artificial green frosting or something :rolleyes: She will once in a while enjoy a TOPs pellet which we thank our lucky stars for but it's really only rarely.

Oh boy. Usually I run and barricade myself elsewhere. I will try :p
Hmm ..

Baked goods huh???

Birdie Bread with a flavored yogurt "icing" .. done in cupcake shapes???

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
I think that our great challenge in trying to work with and train Karat or at least reinforce good behaviors is that there is literally no food treat that is high value to her, and she isn't too keen on praise either really. :( We have had serious trouble trying to find a positive reinforcer for her.
Honu is by far our most, "I'll do it on my time when I WANT to do it" type bird, so this definitely applies for him too. There is nothing I've found that will lure him into anything.

Some days he is cute, clown-like, and warms my heart with everything he does. Other days he sounds just like Karat, especially the SCREAMING! Thinking of Merlie's "murderous thoughts" thread...I think I made one on here awhile back about needing recipes for birdy soup that was about Honu :o:

I can never figure out why he screams...he just gets excited and goes off about it for about an hour. It makes my blood boil!

He's definitely not a one-person bird, but he does play favorites (which I am currently. We'll see in a month!). He isn't super friendly with strangers, and will scream at them incessantly. Or if he's having a good bird day, he'll say Hi to them in every tone, length, and manner he can think of until they finally acknowledge him. Then he'll go on about his business. It all depends whether its the devil or angel on his shoulder that day. :rolleyes:

He also is nippy, but has only actually drawn blood on me once in what is almost 3 years. And that time he was stuck in something and frightened. I remember calling the breeder when he first came home asking if this was normal because he would nip ALL the time. She laughed and said "VERY!" and suggested having foot toys around at all times to learn what to bite and what to be nice with. He especially had a thing for ears...boy am I glad he grew out of that one! It did, however, make getting my cartilage pierced seem like nothing! He CAN be very gentle, and gives kisses very well (despite the pointy beak) but as soon as you •••• him off you'll know it.

As far as cages, since none of my guys can be out together, that limits out times with 4 birds who need to have human interaction, so I have him in a 40x30. He uses every inch of it. I would never go down to a smaller cage again with the amount of time he does have to spend in it.

I love him, he is a character, but he has the devil in him too. Hahns are not for the faint-hearted. You have to be able to put up with all their naughty bird crap to see the gem underneath :)

evsrin

Honu is by far our most, "I'll do it on my time when I WANT to do it" type bird, so this definitely applies for him too. There is nothing I've found that will lure him into anything.

Some days he is cute, clown-like, and warms my heart with everything he does. Other days he sounds just like Karat, especially the SCREAMING! Thinking of Merlie's "murderous thoughts" thread...I think I made one on here awhile back about needing recipes for birdy soup that was about Honu :o:

I can never figure out why he screams...he just gets excited and goes off about it for about an hour. It makes my blood boil!

He's definitely not a one-person bird, but he does play favorites (which I am currently. We'll see in a month!). He isn't super friendly with strangers, and will scream at them incessantly. Or if he's having a good bird day, he'll say Hi to them in every tone, length, and manner he can think of until they finally acknowledge him. Then he'll go on about his business. It all depends whether its the devil or angel on his shoulder that day. :rolleyes:

He also is nippy, but has only actually drawn blood on me once in what is almost 3 years. And that time he was stuck in something and frightened. I remember calling the breeder when he first came home asking if this was normal because he would nip ALL the time. She laughed and said "VERY!" and suggested having foot toys around at all times to learn what to bite and what to be nice with. He especially had a thing for ears...boy am I glad he grew out of that one! It did, however, make getting my cartilage pierced seem like nothing! He CAN be very gentle, and gives kisses very well (despite the pointy beak) but as soon as you •••• him off you'll know it.

As far as cages, since none of my guys can be out together, that limits out times with 4 birds who need to have human interaction, so I have him in a 40x30. He uses every inch of it. I would never go down to a smaller cage again with the amount of time he does have to spend in it.

I love him, he is a character, but he has the devil in him too. Hahns are not for the faint-hearted. You have to be able to put up with all their naughty bird crap to see the gem underneath :)
I love the A&E 40x30 Victorian, but it's 1 inch spacing and that would pose a problem if Echo and the Hahn's in question got along and wanted to "move-in" together. What do you think about the cage I posted on the last part of page 2?

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

evsrin

Hey, yeah, that looks nice :)
Thanks, I wish it was a little bigger.:cool: But options are limited. I may be too anal about this, but now that I have all new white A&E cages for everyone, I really can't bring myself to purchase another brand:o:

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
I love the A&E 40x30 Victorian, but it's 1 inch spacing and that would pose a problem if Echo and the Hahn's in question got along and wanted to "move-in" together. What do you think about the cage I posted on the last part of page 2?
I looked at that one before. I think it would work out just fine! I only went with a 40 x 30 dometop because I got it for $195 on CL :)

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco

Hmm ..

Baked goods huh???

Birdie Bread with a flavored yogurt "icing" .. done in cupcake shapes???
We have tried every brand and flavor of birdie bread... none. The one thing she kind of liked were those ones that come baked into ice cream cones but she just ate part of the cone and tossed the rest.

I really LIKE the yogurt icing though... we might have to try that!! :D

Thanks Merlie... you are full of good ideas!

Merlie

Avenue Spotlight Award

We have tried every brand and flavor of birdie bread... none. The one thing she kind of liked were those ones that come baked into ice cream cones but she just ate part of the cone and tossed the rest.

I really LIKE the yogurt icing though... we might have to try that!! :D

Thanks Merlie... you are full of good ideas!

My two are kinda picky eaters as well .. so I have to play games with their food to get them to eat the good stuff. I've become a master at disguising the healthy stuff. :rolleyes:

Try making the birdie bread using organic Mango juice in place of water .. adds "sweetness" to the bread, makes it taste more like cake than something healthy. Just a thought.

thejoie

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
Mia is a picky eater too. She only pellet she'll eat is the fruity Zupreem and even that is when she feels like it. She does like the Goldenfeast mixes so I stick with that for her mostly, supplement with some Volkman seed. She will try fresh things, doesn't always EAT THEM though. She likes pine nuts. Likes blueberries, strawberries, mandarin oranges, poms. Hates most veggies... I keep trying, she keeps refusing.

She grew up with other birds. I had her and parrotlets when I lived at my parents house. She just doesn't like them. Though I feel she moreso ignores them unless Capri gets in her face, which she rarely does anymore.

She's not loud. That's a plus. She can be,like when I take a garbage bag out. She sounds the alarm: "AWKKK AWKKK AWKKK AWKK AWKKKK!!!"
She also hates men, with a passion. Especially my dad!!

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
OH, I just wanted to add, for the sake of full disclosure, that my "pestilent little wood whore" (Sonny) has now become a terrorist. He is waging a campaign against the p'lets. He unhooks their food and water dishes from the outside so that the dishes fall down and all the food and water spills out. :bash: I am going to have to move the p'lets to the spare bedroom if I can't figure out a way to stop him from doing this :huh:

Last edited:

Merlie

Avenue Spotlight Award
OH, I just wanted to add, for the sake of full disclosure, that my "pestilent little wood whore" (Sonny) has now become a terrorist. He is waging a campaign against the p'lets. He unhooks their food and water dishes from the outside so that the dishes fall down and all the food and water spills out. :bash: I am going to have to move the p'lets to the spare bedroom if I can't figure out a way to stop him from doing this :huh:
I'm sorry .. I know IRL .. it's probably not that funny but ..

:lol::lol::lol:

Seems like a typical Hahnsie thing to do!!

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

I'm sorry .. I know IRL .. it's probably not that funny but ..

:lol::lol::lol:

Seems like a typical Hahnsie thing to do!!
Oh yes. Very true. :D

evsrin

If getting a baby Hahn's are they more accepting to the birds already in your home?

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If getting a baby Hahn's are they more accepting to the birds already in your home?
Well, Sonny was purchased as a baby, and when he hit 9 mos., all bets were off. He gets along great with Max, but I know he does not get along with other species...

Max is more easy going...

evsrin

Judging by Karat alone, no. :(
Seems like Karat is in her own class though:cool1: I'd honestly like to know what the temperments of her parents and any other chicks they produced were.

Well, Sonny was purchased as a baby, and when he hit 9 mos., all bets were off. He gets along great with Max, but I know he does not get along with other species...

Max is more easy going...
Well I don't mean "get along" as being buddies and being really close to one another. I'm just envisioning this little green macaw going out of it's way to attack my other birds:lol:I'd like for them to be able to be out together, but I'd never try to get a Hahn's and Timneh or Green Cheek to actually be friends. I hope it would go well with the Hahn's and Echo though.

Perhaps a better question, can they co-exist outside of cages on seperate play areas/stands with other species (within reason) if they are introduced to that at an early age?

My budgies don't come out of their flight, that's not an issue, but as it is, I can have my GCC, Sun, and Timneh out of their cages at the same time. Granted 2 are babies. it may change, just trying to get a feel on if Hahn's just hate other birds or what? I'm getting that feeling and I'd feel really bad getting one if it was going to be miserable in my home.:confused:

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Karat is... her own little species :p But in all seriousness, I do know two other people who have Hahn's who won't tolerate other birds either.

Status
Not open for further replies.