• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tell me about your Hahn's- what is a day with one like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I was surfing through macaws on petfinder yesterday, out of curiosity as to how many of various species are listed, and I was surprised at how many Hahns there are. I didn't do a count, but as always, there are more B&G's than any other species, but militaries and Hahns seem to be running close for second place. In the case of B&G's, I would suspect it's because they tend to be first choice for anyone intrigued by a macaw, but without realistic expectations of what being a macaw caretaker entails. Do you think that's the same for the Hahn's?
Well, I think the number of Hahn's in rescue, like the number of B&Gs, reflects their general popularity and high numbers, but aside from that, yes, I do think people have unrealistic expectations. That's one reason why I try to warn rather than just gush--because I love them more than life, but I know they're not for everyone.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
I think it depends on what area of the country you are in. We see very few Hahns around here. It is hard to find one around here in either a rescue or through a breeder

Birdasaurus

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
People think they're "easier" than a large macaw. Goofiness without a big beak.... 'til they realize that little beak can cause a hell of a lot of pain, and Hahns are NOT afraid to use it!

ortegah

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
People think they're "easier" than a large macaw. Goofiness without a big beak.... 'til they realize that little beak can cause a hell of a lot of pain, and Hahns are NOT afraid to use it!
Oh no, I fear Jellybean's beak WAY more than Raylan's! Even though I know that Ray can do more damage if he really wanted to, I know that Jellybean WILL do more damage and that he does want to some days! :lol:

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Oh no, I fear Jellybean's beak WAY more than Raylan's! Even though I know that Ray can do more damage if he really wanted to, I know that Jellybean WILL do more damage and that he does want to some days! :lol:
I know what you mean, Heather. :) I fear Sonny's beak more than Elvis's on a day-to-day basis, although I know that she COULD bite with far more force. She's just not nearly as likely to. Like I've said before, the beak in this house that gives me the most pause, because it's the one most likely to puncture my flesh, is Bella's :D

But, the beak that is most dangerous to OTHER people, well, that would be Elvis's. And that's not so funny...

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega

I know what you mean, Heather. :) I fear Sonny's beak more than Elvis's on a day-to-day basis, although I know that she COULD bite with far more force. She's just not nearly as likely to. Like I've said before, the beak in this house that gives me the most pause, because it's the one most likely to puncture my flesh, is Bella's :D

But, the beak that is most dangerous to OTHER people, well, that would be Elvis's. And that's not so funny...
Yep you've summed it up perfectly :D

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
I have to second (or third?) that!
Chico is a male BFA and I fear Jimi much more than him. Jimi will go into attack mode with little to no body language warning. With a BFA you can see what he's gonna do. Plus if Chico does attack he never does the multiple bites routine. Jimi will attack my neck, the hand I use to unlatch him, and then the other hand I'm using to get him off the first hand.
I've amazed myself how calm and detached I am anymore if I get attacked.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
I was surfing through macaws on petfinder yesterday, out of curiosity as to how many of various species are listed, and I was surprised at how many Hahns there are. I didn't do a count, but as always, there are more B&G's than any other species, but militaries and Hahns seem to be running close for second place. In the case of B&G's, I would suspect it's because they tend to be first choice for anyone intrigued by a macaw, but without realistic expectations of what being a macaw caretaker entails. Do you think that's the same for the Hahn's?
Some people probably look at the size and think they are easy to care for, not realizing they are total brats.:heart:But I love my Hahnsie.

Nikki

Hit the Road
Real Name
Nikki
Out of all my birds Aubrey is the beak we fear the most. Cutest happiest little guy, but boy he sure loves to nip because he can.

Status
Not open for further replies.