• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tell me about Umbrella Toos!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeanna

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
I've decided to help take care of one that lives at a dive shop not too far from my house. I made a post describing the situation and his living conditions here: http://forums.avianavenue.com/bird-...d-advice-umbrella-cockatoo-owners-needed.html

I feel like I've read a lot about them online - descriptions of the species and about their basic needs. But I would also like some words of wisdom from too owners! What are your cockatoos' favorite foods and toys? What do they hate? Does anything specific guarantee that they'll scream or bite? Things like that. I know every bird is an individual, but I figure your cockatoos will have more in common with Cheerio than my grey and the conures and cockatiels I've had in the past.

Shamrock

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Meredith
Well, I've only had my cockatoo for about 24 hours...and so far I've discovered she likes apples, sweet peppers, banana, mango, carrots, and for grins I offered her a fresh picked jalapeno and tonight I tossed all of those together with a few pieces of Romaine and Radiccio lettuce. I'm boiling up a sweet potato now, and will offer her some of that tomorrow as well as some boiled lentils. I know what my macaw Tiku used to love to eat, so I'm just using that as a starting point.
From what I've learned so far....wood to chew is muy importante! I cut some poplar and mulberry branches this afternoon and she went crazy on them! Tonight I took some apple slices and impaled them on what's left of some of the branches. So far she's ignoring them. Go figure! LOL!

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
my toos are a bit smaller but toos like to be in the center of things at least most of them do there are times they scream and bite but for the most part they give a warning sign crest before a bite not always and a raised crest also means curiousity(sp) they have an inquisite nature and get into everything love to chew my friend with a u2 does a lot of foraging for his bird

Status
Not open for further replies.