• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Teflon free blow dryers (urgent)

lovebirds

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Is there a list of brands and models of PTFE free - bird safe - blow dryers?

Our blow dryer died yesterday and my mother wants to replace it immediately. If I email the companies I'm afraid they'll take too long to reply my emails. So I was wondering if you could share what safe blow dryers you own.
She purchased a Remington but we're returning it tonight because it contains an ionizer and I can't find any references of Remington's blow dryers not containing teflon..
This is quite urgent because she "can't live" without a blow dryer and wants to buy one right away :headsmack:
I remember seeing a thread about this but I can't seem to find it..
Thank you

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
I have a Conair. I called them about a year and a half ago and they said that they do not use teflon or ptfe in any of their dryers. You may want to double check.

As far as I have heard the ion producing units work off ceramic plates and are not harmful but that is based on personal research which you might also want to verify.

I am sorry that I do not remember the details. I did not find a source saying ions producing products are safe for birds. I researched what the technology was and how it works and came to a personal conclusion as to it's safety

Ions from hair styling tools are not the same as ions used for air purification.

I also found that most good flat irons use very smooth ceramic plates rather than teflon but you will need to check on that as well.

I hope this was of some help. Sorry I can not give more certain answers.

lovebirds

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Thank you for your answer.

I don't think they sell Conair here, but I'll check at the store.

Our old hair dryer had an ionizer, I'd prefer a non ionizer hair dryer but the ionizer isn't my main concern, since it'll be used in a different room, away from the birds.

I just want to make sure that I can, at least, find one that doesn't contain teflon..

Shivan

Walking the driveway
The Conair "yellow bird" is a good one. Inexpensive, and very strong. I use it in my salon and at home. Sally beauty carries it..less than $40.00.

lovebirds

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I'm in Portugal, I don't think it's sold here :(

lovebirds

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I did, the shipping costs are quite pricey and I'd need to get a plug adapter.
If it's the only option I'll have to go with it but I'd rather buy something locally.

I just emailed all the companies I could remember that sell blow dryers here but I'll only get the answers in the middle of the week. My mom wants to buy the hair dryer tomorrow, I'm going to offer to pay for her to get her hair dried at the salon (like I have that kind of money :banghead:) It should be mandatory for manufacturers to label appliances containing parts coated with teflon, this is not fair.

MissLeigh

Strolling the yard
Did you find a solution? I called Conair and they don't use Teflon.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
As far as I have heard the ion producing units work off ceramic plates and are not harmful but that is based on personal research which you might also want to verify.

I am sorry that I do not remember the details. I did not find a source saying ions producing products are safe for birds. I researched what the technology was and how it works and came to a personal conclusion as to it's safety

Ions from hair styling tools are not the same as ions used for air purification.
I know this is an old thread, but thank you @Laurie! I always read about finding a dryer with no Teflon, but the mention of ions from the tourmaline in ceramic coating worried me. Good to know it's not the same as the air purifiers. :tup:

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
I know this is an old thread, but thank you @Laurie! I always read about finding a dryer with no Teflon, but the mention of ions from the tourmaline in ceramic coating worried me. Good to know it's not the same as the air purifiers. :tup:
Always happy to be of help :)