• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Teflon coating on hob plate?

QBa

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jacci McNulty
I recently bought a portable two plate hob. The information said that it was made from cast iron and stainless steel. The brand name is given as Lewis but it is identical to some others on the market so I am not sure of the actual manufacturer. Nowhere did it say that teflon or the abbreviation we look out for was used. The instructions said it had to be turned on the the highest settings for 3-5 minutes before first use in order to season each plate. There was a strong smell, which I know happens when you use electrical items for the first time. But this caused me to look further and one of the identical hobs apparently has a non-stick coating. i have emailed the firm where I bought it (no good asking in the shop, they always take the leaflet out of the box and when the answer isn't there just tell you to return it if it isn't any good). But does anyone know about this item?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
With the strong smell, it is most likely teflon or a generic version of it, but even if it were not, with the smell it is a hazard to your birds.