• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tapping feet

Ringneck2

Moving in
Good evening, i am looking for some advice please. My 22months old female ringneck has developed a tapping feet the past 10 days. We took her to the vets and they suggested that she probably strained it somewhere so they gave us painkillers/anti inflammatory. She is taking these for 5days now and there is no change. To me it looks like a nerve issue. She is mainly eating seeds/fruits(mainly bananas apples and mantarins) and veggies like broccoli cauliflower carrots but she in not very keen on them so mainly fruits and mixed seeds.
She is flying, standing ok and she has gained back her strength that she has lost on that claw. It is upsetting watching her being so unsettled, we can see her frustration but we do not know how to help her. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Tommy95

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Thomas
Could it be diet related? Since she does not eat much vegetables, I’m thinking perhaps there’s certain nutrients missing from a seed/fruit diet.

Ringneck2

Moving in
Hi thank you for your response. Wouldn’t she have developed any other symptoms with it? Do you have any suggestions for any supplements? We have got her some vitamin drops but we are a bit reluctant using them as i have read in articles that we should not really use these sort of products. I m not quite sure.

Tommy95

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Thomas
H
Hi thank you for your response. Wouldn’t she have developed any other symptoms with it? Do you have any suggestions for any supplements? We have got her some vitamin drops but we are a bit reluctant using them as i have read in articles that we should not really use these sort of products. I m not quite sure.
I’m not quite sure also.

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Seems to look almost itchy do you offer baths ?

Ringneck2

Moving in
Hi thank you for the response. I did thought of that too. We do give them showers. I tried to see if there is any obvious irritation like redness or dryness but i cannot tell for sure. The vet had a look at her but i am not convinced about their outcome. This looks like some sort of irritation or nerve issue. If it was a strain she wouldn’t be able to move it much or have much grip. ‍♀ is there anything that we can use lets say to treat itchiness there is no harm to try i suppose.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Hi thank you for the response. I did thought of that too. We do give them showers. I tried to see if there is any obvious irritation like redness or dryness but i cannot tell for sure. The vet had a look at her but i am not convinced about their outcome. This looks like some sort of irritation or nerve issue. If it was a strain she wouldn’t be able to move it much or have much grip. ‍♀ is there anything that we can use lets say to treat itchiness there is no harm to try i suppose.
Not sure will tagged @Pixiebeak see if she knows any or any idea what it could be

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Is it consistent?
maybe making a diary when it happens if she eaten a certain thing with her feet or played with a certain thing may help too

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Ok, I think this possibly pain in kidneys, or reproductive. In the first she looks at foot before starting, in the second she also does pluck pulls like discomfort. Birds can have referred leg pain from internal pain in the kidney area and reproductive area , ovaries or testicles.

The possible cause of kidney pain , could be citric acid from the oranges . Citrus fruits I avoid, but if fed should be sparingly. Or possibly kidney infection.

This also could be nutritional deficiency.

Bananas don't have a lot to offer other than sugar , apples aren't much better but at least have fiber , citrus well birds don't need dietary vitamin C , and citruc acid can cause issues, and again a lot of sugar.

She needs foods with a good source of vitamin A. Mango is a good source of vitamin A, I think Papaya is as well. Better fruits and berries are blue berries, blackberries, raspberry, plums (remove pit) cherry remove pit. Fruits are generally recommended to only be 10% of daily diet .

Peppers are a good source of vitamin A , and most parrots take to them well. The deep yellow orange and red bell pepper, tho even green have A . Red Chile pepper. Birds don't have recepter for capsaicin so it's fine to feed hot ones too.

Sweet potato are also a great choice for vitamin A , fed raw or cooked. Many birds take to them very well cooked and mashed and served warm. And squashes , like pumpkin, butternut, acorn squash plus you can keep them eat the fresh raw seeds, or lightly toast to save and serve later.

Don't forget the leafy greens; many parrots take to them , they naturally eat greens in the wild. Rainbow Swiss chard , mine love the stems as well great source of vitamin A, as is romaine, human grade dandelion greens, mustard greens, kale and more.

It is believed toe tapping in eclectus is linked with low vitamin A levels , possible calcium and vitamin D. Her diet is definitely deficient in vitamin A , and other nutrition.

I'm a big believer in a little animal protein. Boiled egg or scrambled egg, is a great choice, has B12, vitamin E and a little vitamin D I believe. I've not met a parrot yet who didn't love eggs .

Sprouts also active seeds and grains making them much more nutritional. Definitely get into sprouting!

If nutri berries are available at your part of the world , they are taken to well be seed eaters and have pellets mixed in.

Diet changes can take time , and you will have waste , and just because something is rejected baby times , keep offering, many times they will eventually start eating and enjoy. Fir example I had a parrot reject leafy greens for 2 years , they eventually became one of her top 3 favorite!!!! I offer by abundance like how birds should be weaned. That is I don't take away their seeds or other foods ( except I would stop citrus, and really cut back in banana) but just start offering more and wide selection. I find offering on a flat surface outside of cage and letting their curiosity come and explore the new foods . I offer chunks , mine like to pic up with feet and eat , but you can offer chunks , halves , or shredded or mince or combination to see what she likes.

Because she already eats a few different things, I think it won't be long before you have success. Even my Budgies eat everything single food I have mentioned so far!

I'm very proud of how lush and sparkling good health my flock show , because of the great diet they eat.

I would not do added vitamins.

Did your vet do blood work?
Can you share poop pic, fresh poop, other than first morning poop

Last edited:

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Look through this great thread , to see all the yummy fresh healthy foods all kinds of species are eating!!! I get inspired all the time !

Oh and a great way to help getting going on veggies, mince up swiss chard , peppers , all kinds of stuff and add eggs and cook , serve warm , and you can enjoy a healthy breakfast as well as your birdie!!

Ringneck2

Moving in
Ok, I think this possibly pain in kidneys, or reproductive. In the first she looks at foot before starting, in the second she also does pluck pulls like discomfort. Birds can have referred leg pain from internal pain in the kidney area and reproductive area , ovaries or testicles.

The possible cause of kidney pain , could be citric acid from the oranges . Citrus fruits I avoid, but if fed should be sparingly. Or possibly kidney infection.

Bananas don't have a lot to offer other than sugar , apples aren't much better but at least have fiber , citrus well birds don't need dietary vitamin C , and citruc acid can cause issues, and again a lot of sugar.

She needs foods with a good source of vitamin A. Mango is a good source of vitamin A, I think Papaya is as well. Better fruits and berries are blue berries, blackberries, raspberry, plums (remove pit) cherry remove pit. Fruits are generally recommended to only be 10% of daily diet .

Peppers are a good source of vitamin A , and most parrots take to them well. The deep yellow orange and red bell pepper, tho even green have A . Red Chile pepper. Birds don't have recepter for capsaicin so it's fine to feed hot ones too.

Sweet potato are also a great choice for vitamin A , fed raw or cooked. Many birds take to them very well cooked and mashed and served warm. And squashes , like pumpkin, butternut, acorn squash plus you can keep them eat the fresh raw seeds, or lightly toast to save and serve later.

Don't forget the leafy greens; many parrots take to them , they naturally eat greens in the wild. Rainbow Swiss chard , mine love the stems as well great source of vitamin A, as is romaine, human grade dandelion greens, mustard greens, kale and more.

It is believed toe tapping in eclectus is linked with low vitamin A levels , possible calcium and vitamin D. Her diet is definitely deficient in vitamin A , and other nutrition.

I'm a big believer in a little animal protein. Boiled egg or scrambled egg, is a great choice, has B12, vitamin E and a little vitamin D I believe. I've not met a parrot yet who didn't love eggs .

Sprouts also active seeds and grains making them much more nutritional. Definitely get into sprouting!

If nutri berries are available at your part of the world , they are taken to well be seed eaters and have pellets mixed in.

Diet changes can take time , and you will have waste , and just because something is rejected baby times , keep offering, many times they will eventually start eating and enjoy. Fir example I had a parrot reject leafy greens for 2 years , they eventually became one of her top 3 favorite!!!! I offer by abundance like how birds should be weaned. That is I don't take away their seeds or other foods ( except I would stop citrus, and really cut back in banana) but just start offering more and wide selection. I find offering on a flat surface outside of cage and letting their curiosity come and explore the new foods . I offer chunks , mine like to pic up with feet and eat , but you can offer chunks , halves , or shredded or mince or combination to see what she likes.

Because she already eats a few different things, I think it won't be long before you have success. Even my Budgies eat everything single food I have mentioned so far!

I'm very proud of how lush and sparkling good health my flock show , because of the great diet they eat.

Hi thank you so much for your time to provide all these information. I was not aware about the mandarins or oranges that could cause them such an issue. She absolutely love them. Also they eat a lot of apple daily and during the week they also have bananas. These seem to be their favourite by far. I do put them veggies like broccoli cauliflower sometimes carrots but not as often as the fruits as they don’t seem to like them much. Their diet is seeds and they definitely like the peanuts from their food. I will definitely change their diet habits. The vet was not much of a help to be honest she was very quick to prescribe painkillers and anti-inflammatory which if she has kidney issues these would make her worse. They definitely did not help.
You sound like someone with lots of experience do you think that changing diet will help her recover or do i need maybe to give her any vitamims? I am not quite sure about the last as i have heard that can cause them worse damage. I will sent you a pic from her dropping later. Thank you again for all you help.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Hi,
I can't know for sure what is causing this.

But do know diet needs improvement. Nutrition plays a huge role in health, deficiency can cause a lot of things , and proper nutrition supports immune system.

I do not like useing added vitamin at all . But if any of our knowledge members do , hopefully they will weigh in.

We are a great community, with many extremely knowledgeable members! I know we have members with ringnecks ! Hopefully when they find your thread they will add their knowledge and experience!

Go through that what is your bird eating thread I linked and get inspiration and ideas;

Silver Sage Aviary specializes in Indian ringnecks and she has some great articles.
Linking this one in nutrition

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Looks to be nerve or pain related to me but could also be diet related- no way to be sure.
A vet check is always a great idea when we have concerns or see weird things.

Ringneck2

Moving in

Hi PSA dropping pic IMG_5682.jpeg

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Looks pretty good from what I can tell ,no polyuria, formed fecal. To blurry to see urate and color .
But from this it makes me think more nutritional. Keep in mind I'm not a vet

Ringneck2

Moving in
Tahnk you for your response, no worries i know you are not a vet but you definitely have more knowledge than i do . We are changing their diets. Definitely a lot of veggies on their plates and less fruit and seeds

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Good! Hopefully she likes some new stuff! Especially the high vitamin A stuff. Do try mango and sweet potatoes
Id still like a close up clear poop pic
Lol we a bunch of poop watchers !