• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Video Tantrum? What do I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He did this earlier after I cleaned his cage, so I ignored him. He got on his sleep perch for about an hour until I picked up some animal crackers and refused to share. He's been doing this ever since. Do I keep ignoring him?

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
That is what I would do:) I think I would ignore, and perhaps offer him a piece of what he wanted in the first place once he settles down.
Henkie and Fëanor were looking for a friend in distress when I watched the video:rolleyes::D

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That is what I would do:) I think I would ignore, and perhaps offer him a piece of what he wanted in the first place once he settles down.
Henkie and Fëanor were looking for a friend in distress when I watched the video:rolleyes::D
I normally share my food with him, but I'm always cautious about sweets and salty snacks, because I know how unhealthy it is. I hate eating in front of him and not being able to share, but I don't know how much salt or sugar is too much.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I normally share my food with him, but I'm always cautious about sweets and salty snacks, because I know how unhealthy it is. I hate eating in front of him and not being able to share, but I don't know how much salt or sugar is too much.
O I thought animal crackers were something specifically developped yo share with your pets or something:rofl: I had never heard of it! Well in that case I would just keep ignoring him:) They can’t Have everything for their Own sake:rolleyes:

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
I think a little nibble of animal cracker isn't going to hurt him. I always share a tiny nibble of what I'm eating with my birds (as long as it's not toxic, of course), and find it's a great way to interact with them. They always have to do a little work for their treats, though - Pippin has to say "please?", Cake has to beep (since he can't really talk), and Piper has to go to a specific perch in her cage.

I try to turn these kinds of interactions into trainable moments. :p

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think a little nibble of animal cracker isn't going to hurt him. I always share a tiny nibble of what I'm eating with my birds (as long as it's not toxic, of course), and find it's a great way to interact with them. They always have to do a little work for their treats, though - Pippin has to say "please?", Cake has to beep (since he can't really talk), and Piper has to go to a specific perch in her cage.

I try to turn these kinds of interactions into trainable moments. :p
Will take note! Thank you! :)

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
No worries! He's just angry that you're eating something that he can't. I try to ignore any tantrums like that, but it's easier to prevent them from happening (within reason) than it is to ignore them, in my experience. :)
How do I go about eating unhealthy things in front of him? He loves pizza crust, and I tend to give him more than he should have, and when I don't, he stares me down like he wants to divebomb me.

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
I'm certainly no expert, but I think there are a couple ways you could approach that situation.

You could instead offer him a high-value but bird-safe treat (like birdie bread) to keep his beak occupied while you eat. A beak that's eating is a beak that can't scream in a tantrum. :)

Or you can offer him a little pizza crust (I tend to give them the doughy bits, rather than the crusty parts that might have seasoning) and hope that it's enough to keep him occupied while you finish your dinner.

I try to feed my birds their chop when I'm eating a meal, so that they're so occupied with their own food that they're not really focusing on what I'm doing/eating.

Distraction and misdirection are my go-to tools in these cases. :D

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
O I thought animal crackers were something specifically developped yo share with your pets or something:rofl:

A reasonable assumption there! :D
Animal crackers have even been around since before I was born! (the expression 'old as the hills' comes to mind)
They're kind of a very mild tasting cookie that are sometimes fed to teething babies as well. In my day they came in a bright red and yellow box with a shoestring handle to carry them around. The picture on the box was different circus animals in cages... lions and tigers and bears, etc.!

I can imagine he is worse than the puppy dog look when he wants what you are eating @Brittany0208 ! Poor little thing ... LOL!

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
A reasonable assumption there! :D
Animal crackers have even been around since before I was born! (the expression 'old as the hills' comes to mind)
They're kind of a very mild tasting cookie that are sometimes fed to teething babies as well. In my day they came in a bright red and yellow box with a shoestring handle to carry them around. The picture on the box was different circus animals in cages... lions and tigers and bears, etc.!

I can imagine he is worse than the puppy dog look when he wants what you are eating @Brittany0208 ! Poor little thing ... LOL!
Oh yeah, even if his bowl is full of food or he has his favorite treat, he'll look at me like "but why, mom? Why won't you share the deliciousness?" Then he proceeds to scream at the top of his lungs, yet it changes nothing lol

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Why do you eat foods that you think are bad for him where be can see you? You could eat the veggies and greens in front of him. See what reaction you get.
Because he lives in my room, and I frequently eat many small meals or snacks for the sake of my digestive tract. I'll eat vegetables in front of him, but I never get the extreme reaction I get when I'm eating junk food. When I share my vegetables, he'll break off a piece and throw it, and if I put it in his bowl, he takes it out and drops it to the floor.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Is there another room for your snacks. That way he is not tempted.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is there another room for your snacks. That way he is not tempted.
No. The other rooms are all occupied, and I spend most of my day at my desk which is in my room.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
For me it sounds like you are gonna be more healthier. :D
No junk food eaten in front of him. That is not good food for him, and he needs healthy food.
I share all my food with my birds, and I'm not eating junk food, or something with a lot of sugar. And salt is a big No No!

If I will eat chocolate or ice cream I will do that after their bedtime.
Once you decided to share meal with them you must realize that they will only be sad if you don't do that every time. They will not understand the reason they can't have it, they will only feel ejected from the flock.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
For me it sounds like you are gonna be more healthier. :D
No junk food eaten in front of him. That is not good food for him, and he needs healthy food.
I share all my food with my birds, and I'm not eating junk food, or something with a lot of sugar. And salt is a big No No!

If I will eat chocolate or ice cream I will do that after their bedtime.
Once you decided to share meal with them you must realize that they will only be sad if you don't do that every time. They will not understand the reason they can't have it, they will only feel ejected from the flock.
I was afraid that was going to be the case. I've been meaning to eat healthier over the last year since I suffer from malabsorption and Crohns. Well, it was bound to happen sooner or later. Guess I can't have junk in front of the warden :lol:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Penny agrees & is Languishing w me. :rofl:

We got chicken tonight & she enjoys a small piece...

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
That is the cutest little tantrum I’ve ever seen! :heart: I expected him to start screaming or something, but he just kept letting out those sad little wimperings. I’m glad you want to try eating healthier so you can share your food with him, because having him cry like that would be too heartbreaking to ignore for long. That is the simplest solution. Also, when you are eating things he can’t have (healthy things like avocado for instance) maybe you can save a special treat for him, like some sort of nut or bird bread or something. Only use those treats for this purpose so they are special.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
:laugh:
Brittany you’ve got your hands full!

Here is what I do. I don’t eat much “unhealthy” food but sometimes there are spices or LOTS of times onions. So I put little spoonfuls of chop and pieces of nuts on my plate. Then when Ernie is begging I spoon some off and into his bowl.... oh yes he has his own bowl at dinner. I grumble and shake my head about him eating my food. Every so often I push it around (his part) so that he thinks I am eating it. Sometimes I spoon it up and talk with my hands, waving it near him as I talk to hubby. Ernie won’t come off my shoulder, but he’ll stretch his giraffe neck as far as it goes trying to reach the spoon.

He loves it.

Status
Not open for further replies.