• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Taming?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Im not expecting anything immediate and I know it wont take a year either it could be less maybe more and im asking questions because Mango is different somehow I cant read him.

So why are you ignoring this advice?

I'm going to give you some very simple sound advice Brandon. Put all these expectations and "I must do clicker training" in box somewhere. Get to know and understand your bird (and him you) just by keenly observing him. Learn what his movements and gestures are. Then in 6 months from now when you have a "real relationship" with him you can do your "training". You don't have the skills and knowledge to do it right now.

BeakFace

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Wow he steps up? I thought he was scared of hands?

Diesel13

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Miranda
He is just scared of hands does not take treats obviously because he is scared of hands and he sometimes runs at my presence
Ok I take that back he is very scared when he steps up he even flys when my next arm comes for him to step up so I cant even do ladder with him.He is scared of every little movement and he is with me 4 months.
This implies to me that Mango is a very scared bird who does not step up and flees at the sight of hands . But now your previous post says he steps up? I'm sorry, but you keep giving such conflicting and confusing information that it makes it very difficult to help you. I and other members have given the best advice on how you can build a relationship with Mango. I advise that you follow through with the advise given and in time you will see progress.

Brandon's-Fids

Hit the Road
Real Name
Brandon
Exactly in your quotes it saids he steps up too so wheres the confusion? I said he steps up so whats the problem? You knew he steps up but he is scared of hands that dosent mean he is afraid of my arm and you know we progressed to him stepping on the back of my hand.

Applebutter

Jogging around the block
You need a lot patience for these type of birds, they seem so different from any other birds. Have you done much research on Asiatics? Maybe they're not the kind of birds for you?

Brandon's-Fids

Hit the Road
Real Name
Brandon
I done lots of research and I have a lot of patience.I actually this asiatics might be my favourite group of Parrots.

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne

noice

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Anna
Mango is beautiful. What kind of parrot is he? Good luck with taming.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Positive Punishment (+P) Positive punishment means that something aversive happens to the animal after a behavior. It may cause the animal to not do that behavior again. For instance, a bird screams and is then squirted with water, if the frequency of screaming goes down the bird has been positively punished for screaming. There are some issues with positive punishment. The first is that you can get fallout in which the animal begins to associate the punishment with the person doling it out which can cause some other issues. Also, if the behavior does not go down in frequency but only stops during the actual punishment, the behavior is just being surpressed not extinguished.

ok Brandon , I'm going to tell you a true story about my beloved Rocky. the first home he was in, he was punished for being noisy by squirting him with water bottle. this happened daily and by the time I got him, he was a nervous wreck of a cockatiel. he didn't trust any human. he would hear the water running in the sink and hide in the bottom of his cage. he would not come and even sit with me. it took months to get him to not be afraid. he was nippy and aggressive. once he realized that he was home and the human now taking care of him was not going to squirt him with a water bottle every time he made a noise. he relaxed into loving happy bird. if you punish a bird in the way you described above, I better not find it written here. that is call torment, torture and it's unforgivable.

Brandon's-Fids

Hit the Road
Real Name
Brandon
Why would I ever do something like that see what I mean why are you telling me this your assuming im the type of person who would do that you think I wrote whats above when really its from this forum so go tell who ever wrote it their wrong then so I dont know why its a sticky.

Doublete

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Katie
Why would I ever do something like that see what I mean why are you telling me this your assuming im the type of person who would do that you think I wrote whats above when really its from this forum so go tell who ever wrote it their wrong then so I dont know why its a sticky.
Good grief. This is why nobody is trying to help you anymore.

I don't believe @rocky'smom was saying you would do that. She was explaining why that particular positive punishment line of thought is not actually the way to train. By sharing how her bird reacted.
You get defensive and are not truly open to constructive criticism or comments no matter what is said.

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Good grief. This is why nobody is trying to help you anymore.

I don't believe @rocky'smom was saying you would do that. She was explaining why that particular positive punishment line of thought is not actually the way to train. By sharing how her bird reacted.
You get defensive and are not truly open to constructive criticism or comments no matter what is said.
Instagator

Doublete

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Katie
I guess I shouldn't respond either to anything.

Ok the .